It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Getting started with model aircraft, advice?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 08:56 PM
link   
So I've been looking for new hobbies, and recently found that I enjoy painting. I've done a few simple wooden pieces that I bought at arts/crafts stores, and I've been thinking about getting into model aircraft. I'd like to build and paint them from kits. Is there anyone here into that and can point me to some good sites for ordering kits, paints etc?

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 09:06 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785

I had a huge collection when i was younger. I remember the Revell kits. You can still find them at the craft store Michael’s or hobby lobby. If you know what aircraft you want, you can find anything on ebay. Testors acrylic paints are the way to go.

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Start simple is my advice.
I used to build a lot of kits but haven't in many years, maybe after my kid heads to college.

Maybe check out magazines like "fine scale modeler"
Lots of good stuff there.

In this case Google is your friend.

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 09:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Start simple is my advice.
I used to build a lot of kits but haven't in many years, maybe after my kid heads to college.

Maybe check out magazines like "fine scale modeler"
Lots of good stuff there.

In this case Google is your friend.

These days there's so much stuff on Google it's hard to know where to start lol that's why I figured I'd ask for someone to narrow it down a little.

ETA: Start simple is definitely good advice. I tend to go overboard when I start something new.

edit on 30 7 18 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 09:36 PM
link   

The new acrylic paints are awesome.
Much better than the old enamels.
I've been away from the hobby for maybe ten years now and so much has changed.

Try "andys hobby headquarters" on you tube

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Oddly enough I have started an old hobby for my D&D games of building little buildings and painting little monsters and knightly dudes again.
A good tip is don't go for the most expensive paints I bought a load of citadel paints and wish I just bought some off the net for half the price.
Oh and support your local model shop they are a dying breed of shops around here but my local one is a little cheaper than the internet and the guy who owns it knows his stuff and has given me load of advice.
I will make a thread later showing you all what I have made

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 05:02 AM
link   
I'm a Tamiya fan. Good molds, highly detailed and you don't have to fight then to get them together.

Amazon has everything you need. But support local if you can.

At you going to get an airbrush and go for the high painting detail look? Check out YouTube there are some amazing modelers there.

Of course there's finescale.com

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 07:21 AM
link   
My Son and I can both recommend Airfix models, huge range and great detail;

Airfix Website

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 07:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver
I had a huge collection when i was younger.

Me too. Then they met my M-80's and 8oz rockets.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Thanks for the input so far gents. I would love to support a local shop but unfortunately I live in the middle of nowhere so I doubt there's one nearby. I do make it into the city on occasion, I'll have to look into whether there is one there.

I'm not looking to get too detailed or too expensive. I don't have very steady hands, so really fine work is probably out of the question unless I just keep doing it over and over until I get it right.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 09:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: MerkabaTribeEntity
My Son and I can both recommend Airfix models, huge range and great detail;

Airfix Website

That site has some simple starter kits, reasonably priced. I may start there.

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Not sure if anyone is gonna see this since this thread is over a month old now. I got t his kit on Amazon to start out with. It came with cement, Humbrol acrylic paints and a brush. Putting it together was no problem. I'm not done with assembly but enough that I wanted to start painting. I ran into trouble there.

I tried uploading pictures to include in this post, but for whatever reason ATS won't accept them. They upload like normal, then my upload page refreshes and they're just not there. Anyway, the paint is not going on well at all. It's extremely thin. It won't adhere. It runs like water away from the application site. To answer the obvious question, yes I did shake them up, vigorously. I tried stirring them. I let them sit closed upside for a while. Nothing seems to help. I'm getting rather annoyed. Any suggestions?

join