It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Only by Giving, will humanity heal its own suffering (hunger, thirst, homelessness, greed)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 09:21 PM
link   
This is the solution. Giving food to the hungry helps against hunger. That's not a belief system but a fact through observation.

We can discuss philosophies or gods, but all of that is meaningless if it does not stimulate Empathy in mankind to overcome it's own suffering.

As the old saying goes "Like a body without a soul, so is faith without works. Faith without works is dead."

The good works are the evidence of faith. When you, as an individual, choose to focus on giving, then things will change.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 09:26 PM
link   
a reply to: lightofgratitude

This is the solution. Giving food to the hungry helps against hunger. That's not a belief system but a fact through observation.

I don't disagree in spirit, but only in practice. "Giving" is only a band-aid... a temporary fix. "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he eats for life."

Perhaps "sharing" is a better way to think of it. Or even better, "empowering." Creating systems and processes and institutions by which all of us have genuine opportunity to share the bounty of the earth and humanity and make a living for ourselves and our families.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 10:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea
I just realized, the homeless typically know about strips of land that are rarely seen in cities. Perhaps they can be given seeds and classes on how to take advantage of these forgotten plots of lands for growing their own crops?? You know, a tomato plant here, some spinach and lettuce during the cooler months, herbs and spices, gourds, peppers, onions carrots etc.. etc..

Mostly easy stuff.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Most yogi's will say that it is the holding on to earthly things that ties us to this reality. So in essence, let go. If you truly believe in this, then give all your belongings away. Giving. Prove that you actually believe in what you say. Not to me or anyone else. To yourself. I give this wisdom to you.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Happiness comes from helping other people achieve happiness.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 10:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea
I don't disagree in spirit, but only in practice. "Giving" is only a band-aid... a temporary fix. "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he eats for life."

We have so much production capacity and efficiency at this point we might want to consider giving the man Universal Basic Income instead of a net. This way the fish populations can grow back and we preserve bio-diversity and the quality of our shared environment.

Newark New Jersey!!! Nice too know my hometown can grow food in warehouses!!

edit on 27-7-2018 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 10:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

If you can make someone smile and laugh you have brought them happiness. Happiness comes from inside of any who choose to express it.
edit on 27-7-2018 by highvein because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 10:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: highvein

originally posted by: dfnj2015

If you can make someone smile and laugh you have brought them happiness. Happiness comes from inside of any who choose to express it.

Or providing them the means to live a descent live with descent wage and opportunity to retire with dignity. You know, the stuff we can never afford anymore because we are too busy dropping bombs on the Middle East.

"$21 trillion of unauthorized spending by US govt discovered by economics professor"

$21,000 billion dollars of unauthorized money was transferred from the treasury to the Pentagon. The Congress did not authorize it. And not it's all gone!!! It's amazing how far this country has come since I was a kid in the 1970s. Money and people used to matter. There used to be a public trust. Government was seen as important. Now all we have is bunch of pirates and mobsters running around killing people for profit.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 10:47 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

Or providing them the means to live a descent live with descent wage and opportunity to retire with dignity. You know, the stuff we can never afford anymore because we are too busy dropping bombs on the Middle East.

Retire with dignity? You mean hang on to the bonds of earthly possessions? If one says that giving is better, shouldn't they give all they all they have? You would have nothing to retire on, and yet you can still be happy. Money is what runs the machine that rolls over us.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 10:57 PM
link   

How can we accurately determine who's hungry, for legitimate reasons. Our church helps a lot of leeches.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 11:22 PM
link   
We need people to learn to take care of themselves and not to expect handouts. Your entire philosophy relies on enabling victim hood and keeping people reliant on others.
edit on 2018/7/27 by Metallicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 11:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Indeed. To be charitable in the first place almost requires self-reliance.

How can you take care of anyone else if you can't take care of yourself?

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 07:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
I just realized, the homeless typically know about strips of land that are rarely seen in cities. Perhaps they can be given seeds and classes on how to take advantage of these forgotten plots of lands for growing their own crops?? You know, a tomato plant here, some spinach and lettuce during the cooler months, herbs and spices, gourds, peppers, onions carrots etc.. etc..

Mostly easy stuff.

I think that's a great idea.

I'm not sure about the homeless, but I do know efforts are being made to create more community gardens, and to help those receiving food aid. Seeds can actually be bought with their food cards. (I think they're called EBT cards?)

I'd love to see more gardens and gardening classes in schools -- from kindergarten up. Actually teaching kids how to grow and store and prepare their own foods. At least some foods.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 10:32 AM
link   
oh yea man. I have come to the conclusion that there is no more rewarding feeling, than consuming the food you grew with your own hands tilling the Earth. It is also quite satisfactory to see the conclusion of your efforts watching them grow from seedling to food bearing maturity.

I just recently laid down my next crop of tomatoes. I always chop up the old plant and compost it for use in another cycle. I send no organic components to the waste at all. Everything this seven person family generates as food waste goes back into the ground to feed our next harvest of food.

You are also correct, seeds can be bought with SNAP/EBT . I tried unsuccessfully a couple years ago to bring awareness to my local community about this little known caveat of food assistance by choosing to speak at little bodegas and small local privately owned cornet stores. I don't think many people cared. One of few people who did not simply ignore me though was a sweet older Asia lady that is already growing her own food on the same street as me. She had no idea you could buy seeds with EBT. Most other people just passed me by though without a care in the world.

I would not mind trying again, but I think there will have to be an incentive to actually get people to stay and listen. Maybe most people assume by default that they are not capable?? The irony is growing food is levels simpler than trying to troubleshoot and fix your own car problems. I mean, the plant does it on its own just fine lol. The only thing the human needs to do is is be mindful of the soil, light exposure for that species of plant, and make sure it is adequately watered.

I think many people give up due to soil issues honestly. As a backyard farmer, it is very important to rejuvenate your soil, because the plants pull it out of the ground, where it goes to the food we eat. Too many unreplensihed cycles and your dirt becomes dust. So I think the first chapter of a class should focus heavily on proper soil nutrient replenishment, which is significantly easier than it sounds. Find a corner spot somewhere, I prefer at least a six by six foot area, but much smaller plots can work as well. Dig out a pit, leave the soil on the side. As you generate organic waste throughout your day, including lawn clippings and/or raked leaves just toss them in, and add a layer from the pile. Mix it around every couple days and dampen it with some water. Over time it all breaks down into highly enriched soil perfect for spreading at the base of your plants for added nutrition and stronger yields.

Maybe I should visit the city council meetings some day and speak about my idea?? I have not been in that building for like eight years though. I forgot the process to have my time to speak lol! I think it was just a sign in sheet and my id IIRC.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 12:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: lightofgratitude

We can discuss philosophies or gods, but all of that is meaningless if it does not stimulate Empathy in mankind to overcome it's own suffering.

As the old saying goes "Like a body without a soul, so is faith without works. Faith without works is dead."

The good works are the evidence of faith. When you, as an individual, choose to focus on giving, then things will change.

You are clearly right but the needy are most often not your neighbor and if you give through a charity 9 x out of 10 the head office gets the money and not the hungry. When a nation gives the money to another nation it is taken by their corrupt govs and not reaching those in need.
We are told to give to the needy and to care for one another so we should do what we can now.
Still, the only real solution is the return of Jesus and the rule again by the creator the destruction of the greedy and evil.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

Bravo for you! I think it'd be great to speak to the city council, perhaps suggest a city-sponsored community garden as well, that could incorporate gardening classes. Since our community garden was begun, there have been far more volunteers than work to do! Half of the bounty goes to the local food bank, and volunteers receive a share of the the other half, including seeds and compost. It's expanded to include chickens as well. I think maybe it's a matter of getting word to the right person or people who can get the word to those who are interested. And then I think the enthusiasm becomes contagious. Anyone who's eaten tomatoes or peas from off the vine will never quite enjoy store-bought produce the same, eh?

Perhaps see if there's another organization in your area working towards the same goal, whose already laid some groundwork that you can help build on. Maybe this will give you some ideas?

10 Steps to Starting a Community Garden

Start ― or Join ― A Community Garden!

They might at least give you some good talking points for approaching the city council -- and others. Now I'm excited for you! Let me know how it goes if you give it a shot.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 07:08 PM
link   
In a city with no or low growth, there are always housing units on the edge of the city that are affordable for the homeless or the low income. But the minute green belt policies are implemented, that restricts the natural growth that would occur and pushes prices up. Then when there are open immigration policies, the poorest immigrants will share bedrooms and push up rents.

That happened in the UK. There were places in each city that were sketchy, but someone on 20K/year could afford their own place and eventually save up for a home. But once the BTL market took off, prices rocketed as these apartments could be rented out to four or eight occupants rather than one.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Thanks for the resources!! We just got back from the beach and cleaning up. I will certainly explore them later tonight.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 07:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

How can we accurately determine who's hungry, for legitimate reasons. Our church helps a lot of leeches.

Spoken like a Christian, so full of judgement....

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Of course what is said in the OP and its title is true...

And the solution for the betterment and peace for all mankind
really is simple just as stated and is the responsibility of each and every human...

The golden rule was given before departure which further illustrates the importance of this responsibility for each and every one of us... "do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

If we could all live for each other instead of for ourselves we would want or need for nothing...

The problem is we are enslaved to insure that this is virtually impossible for us to accomplish and even more next to impossible to perceive...

Because those who need to have so much more than they will ever need see us as a means to their end...

Their greed and lust for power drives these individuals so even if we are better off than most individuals considered to be well off or rich the reality is we will have no ability to effect change on a grand scale...

And should any of us cause any perceived threat to bring about real change those who control our lives would react and effect change with dire consequences...
Make no mistake about it...

The only chance humanity has for equality is a great awakening which would sweep over all the world and a truly United effort where all choose to walk away from what we call civilization... And simply say no to our controllers let them know the dream is over by turning away from our lives as we know them today...

Then come together and rebuild for ourselves...

You are seeing now how impossible they have made it for us to effect change...

Perhaps it would be far easier to remove all those who hold true power and govern our lives for their gain through our struggle...

You are a slave...
What you gonna do about it?

edit on 28-7-2018 by 5StarOracle because: Word

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join