It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If I Thought of a Way to Build a Time Machine

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Before I ask, I want to let you know that I don't have a link or anything, just a general question.

If I figured out a way to build a time machine and started drawing out blueprints, gathering parts, etc., could I expect to get a visit from my future self in the time machine I invented? And if so, could I just use that one instead of continuing my current plans or would it disappear?

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I would assume you would need to finish the machine to secure the chain of events. SO if anything expect a visit from your future self AFTER you have it down.

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thirty6BelowZero
I get a visit from my future self in the time machine I invented? And if so, could I just use that one instead of continuing my current plans or would it disappear?

It all depends if its indica or sativa...

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Thirty6BelowZero

Have you got the time to build one?

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: ProspectPhilosopher

But shouldn't I just need to start the plan of action? I'm not saying I wouldn't finish it over the course of time, but could I, right here and now, get a visit from my future self?

link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

Lol, what does that mean?

link   

If you was successful.

You could ask your machine to appear near you in x minutes.

If it doesn't appear.

You failed.

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 02:31 PM
link   

If (future) you visited (present) you in a time machine...a secondary timeline would exist.

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

For a time machine, I'd make the time. I would come back to visit my younger self if I did build one. That's why I'm wondering if I could expect a visit before I finish it in this current time. I have the dedication.

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Multiverse theory: you'd never be greeted by your future time travelling self, you'd jump into a parallel dimension where you'd spontaneously appeared in the future/past. If there's infinite universes, your odds of future-you showing up here are slim.

The universe you visit's 'you' could meet you though.
edit on 21-7-2018 by Unresponsible because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

I believe many timelines exist simultaneously.

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Unresponsible

Multiverse theory: you'd never be greeted by your future time travelling self, you'd jump into a parallel dimension where you'd spontaneously appeared in the future/past. If there's infinite universes, your odds of future-you showing up here are slim.

The universe you visits 'you' could meet you though.

Nice theory. I've never heard of it before. Do you believe the other common theory where you could visit your past self? I'd make my way through every century, could that happen in the multiverse theory?

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 02:41 PM
link   
A "time machine" is actually an FTL spaceship. Time is not a function of distance and speed, but a characteristic of space itself. It's the reason we call it spacetime.

Warping space is the key to interstellar space travel and it is the key to time travel, however, there is no mechanism to allow us, so far, to travel backward in time.

Causality (the 'c' in E=mc^2) would not be violated and I refer you to the Photon Clock for the reason why. This is a function of General Relativity. Space can expand faster than light, and currently is according to the Standard Model, it is also accelerating.

Revisions of Alcubierre's Warp Drive equations have significantly reduced the energy necessary to produce warp bubbles, but it is still a very large energy coefficient, one that the White-Juday experiment was unable to achieve, and therefore made the experiment inconclusive.

Photon Clock

E=mc^2 explained:

The White Juday Experiment:

Enjoy!

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 02:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: blackcrowe

If you was successful.

You could ask your machine to appear near you in x minutes.

If it doesn't appear.

You failed.

I would draw up the exact time and date in the plans for me to come back and visit.

Have you ever heard the theory that aliens are us from hundreds of years ahead? I've seen one in the late 80's follow me and my mom, who also saw it, over a treeline for about 200 yards and stop to hover over the treeline until we went inside our house. What if that was a descendant from several hundred years in the future that traced his/her family history and decided to take a trip to 198X to see a few minutes of what our life was like?

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 02:46 PM
link   
It depends on if paradoxes exist.

There are more than a few possibilities that have been talked about. One is there are infinite dimensions and traveling back would send you to one that you can change. There is another that says that paradoxes can't exist. Such as even if you could travel back in time you wouldn't be able to change the past in any meaningful way.

There are a whole lot of other ideas on the subject, but I doubt anyone knows for sure.

link   

You could visit a past version of yourself, theoretically identical to your own past (except the part where older-you appeared suddenly and said "hi"...that fact differentiates the two universes).

link   
a reply to: projectvxn

Thank you. I'm about to leave for the day but I'll be back Monday to pick right back up here.

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Maybe, once you invent a means to time travel and with your new understanding of time and quantum mechanics you realize meeting your NOW self would be detrimental to your personal timeline events and perhaps even world events. So dispite how much you promised your self that you'd come back to see yourself ... you dont.

That's why I always look around for myself hiding behind a tree or something. Cause if I couldn't keep the promise to my self and say hello to myself, I might still come back to this time and observe my self from a fair as keeping part of my promise to myself.

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 02:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thirty6BelowZero
a reply to: alldaylong

For a time machine, I'd make the time. I would come back to visit my younger self if I did build one. That's why I'm wondering if I could expect a visit before I finish it in this current time. I have the dedication.

It has to be built by someone. You're suggesting that you would get a visit before you finished the work, before the machine was invented.

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: DanDanDat

Have you ever noticed someone from a distance that looked just like you?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join