It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oligocene epoch - period

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Hey everyone,

I know there are some considerably talented anthropologists on here, both amateur and professional.

The period I am looking at Oligocene epoch, I and am either confused or don't know where to place it on the world timeline. I am aware it is part of the Paleogene period, but I cant seem to find where in this period it was present.

Anyone care to fill me in?

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Perhaps this will help
en.wikipedia.org... en.wikipedia.org...

a reply to: Ghostsinthefog

edit on 19-7-2018 by Plotus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 05:18 PM
link   
The Geologic Record is divided into Eons, Eras, Periods, and Epochs. There are just two Eons: Phanerozoic (0-542 million years ago (MYA) and the Precambrian (542 - 4600 MYA) Now, going backwards:

+ Cenozoic Era = 0-66 MYA
++ Neogene Period = 0-23 MYA
+++ Holocene Epoch = 0-.01 MYA
+++ Pleistocene Epoch = .01-1.8 MYA
+++ Pliocene Epoch = 1.8-5 MYA
+++ Miocene Epoch = 5-23 MYA
++ Paleogene Period = 23-66 MYA
+++ Oligocene Epoch = 23-34 MYA
+++ Eocene Epoch = 34-56 MYA
+++ Paleocene Epoch = 56-66 MYA
+ Mesozoic Era = 66-251 MYA
++ Cretaceous Period = 66-146 MYA
++ Jurassic Period = 146-200 MYA
++ Triassic Period = 200-251 MYA
+ Paleozoic Era = 251-542 MYA

Let's stop here. Hopefully I've got them all spelled right. It keeps going until you get to 4.6 billion years ago. Couple of points.

+ The dividing line between the Mesozoic Cretaceous and the Cenozoic Paleocene is often called the "K/T Barrier" which stands for "Cretaceous/Tertiary" where "Tertiary" refers to the Cenozoic Era. This is when the big comet hit and killed all the dinos

+ Quaternary is composed of the Holocene, the Pleistocene, and part of the Pliocene Epochs.

+ The Oligocene is an EPOCH which is part of the Paleogene PERIOD which is a part of the Cenozoic ERA which is a part of the Phanerozoic EON.

+ Some of the names and dates are a bit fluid, so don't be surprised if you find slightly different dates and names in different places. This one is originally from "A Geologic Timescale 2004" Cambridge University Press, as reported in "Historical Geology, 6th edition." which is a textbook I just happen to be reading through right now.
edit on 7/19/2018 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

new topics

join