It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm worried about where I'll end up living when my parents are gone

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Hi ATS

I'm worried about where I'll end up living when my parents are gone because I have high-functioning autism and even with a job neither my parents nor myself could afford to buy a house for me to live in not with house prices in Auckland,New Zealand because it is near,at or above NZ $1 million for a house and even apartments are like $300,0000 to $40,000 for a basic one-room apartment and renting is pretty expensive unless you don't mind living in a cold,damp,mouldy,un-insulated dump.

Also I'm worried about not being able to find a reasonable job with decent pay so I don't struggle financially and am able to pay for utilities bills,food and council rates because I was bullied and had to be home-schooled so I never had the chance to attend university and get a degree.
edit on 5-7-2018 by Conspiracyskeptic because: Creating a paragraph

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I hope you figure something out it’s no good being in a situation like that. I personally am low on the autism scale with mild Aspergers. Personally I found a good job driving fuel tankers and that’s been a great thing for me, jobs like that are good for people that have had problems you work fairly hard but get paid really well and spend less time dealing with people, always a bonus for us aspergers sufffers.

Hope things work out for ya mate!

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 03:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Conspiracyskeptic
Hi ATS

I'm worried about where I'll end up living when my parents are gone because I have high-functioning autism and even with a job neither my parents nor myself could afford to buy a house for me to live in not with house prices in Auckland,New Zealand because it is near,at or above NZ $1 million for a house and even apartments are like $300,0000 to $40,000 for a basic one-room apartment and renting is pretty expensive unless you don't mind living in a cold,damp,mouldy,un-insulated dump.

Also I'm worried about not being able to find a reasonable job with decent pay so I don't struggle financially and am able to pay for utilities bills,food and council rates because I was bullied and had to be home-schooled so I never had the chance to attend university and get a degree.

Find a job while your parents are still here and go to Uni part - time - there is nothing stopping you. It will help with the worrying also.

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Maybe you can consider going to a technical school to learn a trade.

If you like computers or programming, you have what are called 'Bootcamps' which can have you in a job in less than 2 years.
edit on 5-7-2018 by nOraKat because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Vocational school, as mentioned before!

Learn to drive a truck, you could save up and basically live in the truck in between running routes or shipments.

I'd say computers as well, but I'm in the field, and there a flood of young folks with their A+ cert that cant get hired. Like an actor/writer in LA

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Make sure your parents have life insurance, so you're not screwed by funeral expenses when they do pass and they leave you a little bit of cash to help you one last time.

In the meantime, get a part time job. Do work that they'll teach to anyone, like changing oil or tires at a jiffy lube. Maybe you can work your way up to engine repairs, which will increase your worth and potentially save you money when you have your own car.

Save your money.

Get some form of higher education. Doesn't have to be university, try online classes or pick up a rosetta stone.

Learn skills that will want employers to hire you, like speaking another language or even sign language. The medical field will always have jobs too, cushy jobs, like pharmacist or X-ray technician. Those are good routes to pursue while in university.

While working and learning find a partner to share your life and start a family with. There's a source of extra income to pay bills and maybe some kids down the line to take care of you when you get old.

Good luck, you can do it!

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Conspiracyskeptic

I recommend fabrication of some kind or machining. The pay is usually pretty decent, you get a sense of accomplishment because you spend all day making things, fabricating concepts are pretty similar everywhere you go the differences are mainly in the materials being used and the tools you use. Being able to program and operate a CNC machine pretty much guarantees you work anywhere. Fabricators and machinists are in demand pretty much everywhere in a huge variety of industries. Plus you don't tend to have to do a lot of social interaction in your days and the work favours paying attention to tiny small details most people don't bother with. Autistic, obsessive compulsive and just generally crazy people seem to do really well at this kind of work.

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Take out some life insurance on your parents. About $400,000 worth....

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 03:58 PM
link   

You should be researching about ways of obtaining all the licenses & tickets you can, though government initiatives and what not... like Truck, forklift, confined spaces, dogmann , OH &S... All that.

I don't know about New Zealand... But in Australia you can usually fairly easily find a cushy little factory job with all that... Night shift is the best, since it usually attracts other odd balls and theirs far less social politics to deal with.

Plus, over here at least, you get 30% loading for nightshift... so decent pay too... Its a win win.

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Get into computer coding, art, animation or repair.

Something where you won't have to deal with people on a daily basis.

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 05:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: nOraKat
Maybe you can consider going to a technical school to learn a trade.

If you like computers or programming, you have what are called 'Bootcamps' which can have you in a job in less than 2 years.

You could even bypass bootcamps altogether - all the information is out there on the internet for you to read:
Binary code, logic gates, digital logic design (counters, registers, memory mapping, cache memory, simple CPU's and DSP's), embedded systems, microcontrollers, Turing machines, The halting problem, operating systems, virtual memory, Linux/Windows.

At the high level, there is applications development with C++/WebGL, webpage design or 3D modelling/texturing with
Blender which is free. Even 3DMax gives you a trial time of a month.

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 05:14 PM
link   
If you consider yourself disabled, which apparently you do, there are social service agencies around that should be able to put you on a track to becoming independent.

If push comes to shove, there are foster homes for disabled adults, but hopefully you can do better than that.

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Things are tough all over bro. Have faith, good luck.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 02:04 AM
link   

You've already taken the first step: you've identified your problem. Now all you have to do is solve it.

You never attended university and got a degree. This is actually really good news. It means you haven't wasted four years of your life and a ton of money.

My first piece of advice to you is to listen to Jordan B. Peterson's podcast a bit. He will help you get your life in order before it is too late. I promise it will help! You may not have bootstraps to pull yourself up by, but he will help you get them.

My second piece of advice to you is to NOT go to college. Pick a career that interests you (as long as it isn't something that requires a degree like engineer or doctor), and go online and seriously research it. Don't give up on it. Research it for 1000 hours. Practice it for 1000 more. Then go prove to someone that you can do it and make them give you money for it.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Sorry about your circumstances, is there no help in your region, it could be a good option to look into groups online through facebook and other social media outlets. Satoshi Tajiri. the creator of Pokemon was actually diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome, Dan Aykroyd, Andy Warhol too.

edit on 6-7-2018 by JugHead because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-7-2018 by JugHead because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 02:15 AM
link   
How do other people with high-functioning autism manage? That's probably a start. Many will be independent. They will be able to give you confidence and the model which you can follow.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 03:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: JugHead

Sorry about your circumstances, is there no help in your region, it could be a good option to look into groups online through facebook and other social media outlets. Satoshi Tajiri. the creator of Pokemon was actually diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome, Dan Aykroyd, Andy Warhol too.

There are houses available through Housing New Zealand but there's a big waiting list and it's mostly used by solo parents or families that can't buy a house or private landlords won't accept for various reasons.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 03:09 AM
link   
I can use a chainsaw fairly well because my Dad has taught me how to use one and I considered training to become an Arborist because there is a high chance of getting a job up on completion of training and the starting pay is the minimum wage of NZ $16.50 an hour then between $18 and $22 an hour for employees between 1-4 years in the industry then after that it's between $22 and $35 an hour but you need a full NZ driver's license and pass drug and alcohol tests and either have a New Zealand Certificate in Horticulture (Arboriculture)(Level 4) or complete an apprenticeship and gain a New Zealand Certificate in Primary Industry Skills (Horticulture)(Arboriculture)(Level 4) plus a reccomended minimum three years of secondary education in Agriculture,Horticulture and Biology which I don't have.
edit on 6-7-2018 by Conspiracyskeptic because: Altering content

edit on 6-7-2018 by Conspiracyskeptic because: Correcting spelling

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Like some mentioned before, pick up a trade like plumbing. Then set up your own business, start small and grow. If you make the same income you would by working for someone else you've won already...

do this while you still have your parent's support...

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Sorry to hear about your woes. You may have to find a place that you can rent (possibly with roommates so rent is cheaper), explore government-assistance, or seek out alternative living arrangements (a tiny home, or maybe staying in a hostel temporarily for example).

Don't let the circumstances beat you down emotionally. Try to be confident and take initiative in finding a solution. Life is difficult but you can handle it if you put your energy and thought into it. Stay strong and get creative if you have to. Good luck!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join