It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING - Notice Regarding the Continuation of the National Emergency with Respect to North Korea

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 01:57 PM
link   
President Donald J. Trump issued a warning today regarding the National Emergency with Respect to North Korea.

Here is a copy of the notice from the White House website

The existence and risk of proliferation of weapons-usable fissile material on the Korean Peninsula and the actions and policies of the Government of North Korea continue to pose an unusual and extraordinary threat to the national security, foreign policy, and economy of the United States. For this reason, the national emergency declared in Executive Order 13466, expanded in scope in Executive Order 13551, addressed further in Executive Order 13570, further expanded in scope in Executive Order 13687, and under which additional steps were taken in Executive Order 13722 and Executive Order 13810, and the measures taken to deal with that national emergency, must continue in effect beyond June 26, 2018. Therefore, in accordance with section 202(d) of the National Emergencies Act (50 U.S.C. 1622(d)), I am continuing for 1 year the national emergency with respect to North Korea declared in Executive Order 13466.

Compare that with ...

I admit I have had some concerns about the President's mental state, but this seems ... like day and night.

"NK is a threat, NK is not a threat, I can't do anything about refugees, I'm going to do an EO to reverse my own policy on refugee families ... "

The President just seems to be failing mentally based on these wildly swinging positions.

+18 more 
posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Aside from the good faith gesture of cancelling the annual war games, I thought it was always said we wouldn't back off until we got proof they were adhering to agreements.
edit on 22-6-2018 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

+36 more 
posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 02:02 PM
link   

You are aware this is just extending a previous order? That nothing is being lifted or changed until NK proves it's done away with their nuclear program? That sanctions may even be increased if NK does not keep it's word? The agreement was just an agreement to start a process.

This is a non story. He would be foolish to not extend that since the process is just beginning.

+4 more 
posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Should the president have let them expire June 26, 2018?

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Sounds to me like those other terrorist states, like Iran and Syria, have made some kind of deal to take away some of the DPRK's fissile uranium. IN other words, another Uranium One deal. I guess "what goes around, comes back around".

+9 more 
posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Doesn't seem disconnected to me. NK hasn't disarmed and handed over fissile nuclear materials. Until that happens, there is still a threat.

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Right, but, the President's tweet is his official channel to communicate with America.

His tweet back on June 13th said that North Korea was no longer a threat.

Now, today NK continues to be a threat.

You don't find these messages confusing?

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Times change. Events change People change. You have to change with them.

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 02:06 PM
link   

China truly wanted the war games to end. Trump did this for China using NK to appear to get a "win". Disgusting

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

The agreement was just an agreement to start a process.

This is a non story. He would be foolish to not extend that since the process is just beginning.

I don't think this is a non story. I think the point here is both clear and valid. President Trump shouldn't be taking victory laps and making fantastic claims when, as you yourself said (accurately I might add), "The agreement was just an agreement to start a process."

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 02:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555

You are aware this is just extending a previous order? That nothing is being lifted or changed until NK proves it's done away with their nuclear program? That sanctions may even be increased if NK does not keep it's word? The agreement was just an agreement to start a process.

A non story? How so? The notice was just released today on the White House website (and presumably to the Press).

The fact that a threat to our national security continues at the level of a NATIONAL EMERGENCY directly contradicts what the President told us on June 13.

Personally, I certainly do think it's extremely prudent to continue to consider NK a threat ... heck yes! They have shown time and time again that they cannot be trusted over several decades.

I just find Trump's tweet on the matter, assuring us that we were all safe now, very confusing.

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Right, but, the President's tweet is his official channel to communicate with America. His tweet back on June 13th said that North Korea was no longer a threat. Now, today NK continues to be a threat. You don't find these messages confusing?

Personally I don't really take the tweets too seriously.

That one in particular had "mission accomplished" written all over it.

I am optimistic though.
edit on 22-6-2018 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Well there is a way for Fatty the Third to deceive Trump. He can sacrifice some of his nukes in exchange for the US to withdraw from South Korea and remove sanctions.

No way he's seriously gonna give up all his nukes. He needs them for his survival.

And knowing Trump, he'll take the bait.

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

Doesn't seem disconnected to me. NK hasn't disarmed and handed over fissile nuclear materials. Until that happens, there is still a threat.

I absolutely agree North Korea is still a threat. A nuclear-powered threat at that.

Which is why I was so confused when Trump assured us the threat had passed.

Now I don't know what to believe.

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stevenjames15

China truly wanted the war games to end. Trump did this for China using NK to appear to get a "win". Disgusting

I agree, diplomacy is utterly disgusting. Shoulda nuked those bastards... ammiright?

link   

I could see how maybe an Autistic or slightly retarded person might find this confusing.

But to most people its pretty clear.

link   

Yeah, I try to ignore the tweets too ... but the President has said that's his way to communicate directly with the American people!

Now, nine days later, he announces that we are still in a state of NATIONAL EMERGENCY with North Korea.

My god .. which is it???

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 02:13 PM
link   

I'm guessing Trump is using this as leverage in his discussions/negotiations with North Korea.... with a deadline coming up, Trump had to do something. And if he had let it expire, it would have just increased the claims that Trump already gave up too much for too little. So Trump may just be making the most of something that was happening anyway.

That's my thought anyway.

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: notsure1

I could see how maybe an Autistic or slightly retarded person might find this confusing.

But to most people its pretty clear.

I'm not autistic or slightly retarded as can be seen plainly from my posts.

It almost seems like you're trying to derail the discussion; please don't. I'm not the topic.

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

I absolutely agree North Korea is still a threat. A nuclear-powered threat at that.

Which is why I was so confused when Trump assured us the threat had passed.

Now I don't know what to believe.

Seems like drama. One is policy another is a tweet. Positive rhetoric about an agreement. You're smart enought to know that so i think this is just a game you're playing.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join