It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fox and Disney sign new merger deal, rejecting Comcast bid

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 12:20 PM
link   
More media conglomeration. Disney is becoming a gigantic beast of a company. It seems like it won't be long before everything we see or read is owned by Disney in some way. They also slowly seem to be acquiring monopoly on sports broadcasting between ESPn and now fox sports l.

arstechnica.com...

The Walt Disney Company and 21st Century Fox have struck a new merger agreement, with Fox's leadership having rejected Comcast's attempt to outbid Disney.

Under the amended acquisition agreement announced today, Disney would buy Fox for $71.3 billion in cash and stock. This comes one week after Comcast offered Fox $65 billion in cash, which topped Disney's previous deal to buy Fox for $52.4 billion in stock.

The sale to either Disney or Comcast would include 21st Century Fox's film and television studios, cable entertainment networks, the Fox Sports Regional Networks, and international properties including Star in India and Fox's 39-percent ownership of Sky across Europe.

The sale would also include Fox's 30-percent stake in Hulu. Comcast already owns 30 percent of Hulu, so this deal would give it majority control of the online video service. Disney also has a 30-percent stake in Hulu, while Time Warner owns 10 percent of the company.

The Fox sale would not include major assets such as the Fox News Channel, Fox Business Network, and Fox Broadcasting Company. Those would be spun off into a new company, and Comcast or Disney would acquire 21st Century Fox after the spinoff.

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 12:29 PM
link   
The lot of them need to be broken up, not emboldened.

Where the F is Donald Chump on these new mergers since he's in there?

Where the F is the GOP House / Senate on these new mergers since they've in there?

Where the F is the DNC House / Senate on these new mergers since they've in there?

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 12:34 PM
link   
As far as I'm aware it's still not a done deal. Comcast still has the opportunity to counterbid (although they were apparently already leveraging a lot of debt with their first bid) and the government still hasn't signed off on it. It's pretty much a sure thing but it's not official yet.

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

I agree. Disney is the company that most desperately needs to be hit with an antitrust lawsuit.

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 01:26 PM
link   
GOOD !

Maybe FOX can fix Star Wars!

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Better Disney than scummy Comcast, they're the Devil's own corporation of agonizing torture.

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Eh. The new movies have been better than Fox's last outings with the franchise (*cough* Prequels *cough*). I'm looking forward to finally getting a good Fantastic Four movie.

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

That's funny.

Who do you think lessened those rules in the first place?

Both parties man.

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 01:48 PM
link   

They also slowly seem to be acquiring monopoly on sports broadcasting between ESPn and now fox sports l.

I missed this in my original read through. Fox (or New Fox as it will be known) will retain ownership of FS1 and BTN. Disney will get Fox's regional sports channels that generally show local sports.

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 02:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Better Disney than scummy Comcast, they're the Devil's own corporation of agonizing torture.

Exactly my thought.

If Disney and FOx merge it doesn't bother me. I don't have to subscribe or use their service and can tell to F off.

Comcast on the other hand as a FORCED customer who despises them along with 90% of their customer base dodged a bullet with this. Comcast doesn't need to get any bigger or more powerful.

They should not allow content providers to be internet service providers as long as net neutrality principles don't exist.

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

Plus Comcast has some sort of anti-Midas touch, everything they touch turns to schizz.

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 02:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
The lot of them need to be broken up, not emboldened.

Where the F is Donald Chump on these new mergers since he's in there?

He is having burnt steak dinner with Rupert Murdoch and Ike Perlmutter. Two of his good friends that want this deal to go through.

The President has one good friend on the Fox side and one good friend on the Disney side. Which is why Disney is confident the deal will pass regulatory approval.

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Yeah that's why you would rather Disney sure..

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 04:23 PM
link   
So does this mean Xmen are going to be in again?

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 04:31 PM
link   

I would rather have OPEC take over Fox than Comcast, that's how much I hate my cable company.

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Ya i've heard Comcast is a pretty #ty company. It was supposed to be somewhat light hearted.

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 04:50 PM
link   
"And thus when the fox mates with the mouse the world will burn in five years".
Nostradamus poetry of poop 1564.

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 05:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: dug88
Ya i've heard Comcast is a pretty #ty company. It was supposed to be somewhat light hearted.

I get it, but if there was a place they sent people in Hell to for being evil that's where Comcast needs to go.

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Isn't that where Augustus went?

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 05:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
Isn't that where Augustus went?

No. Caligula on the other hand.

<<   2 >>

join