It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possible Thylacine on CCTV?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+20 more 
posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 02:30 PM
link   

I spotted some rather uninformative articles about this on Mysterious Universe and Daily Mail.

Basically, all they had was a clipped version of a supposed screenshot uploaded by an Imgur user. I followed the link to Imgur, not much else to be learned there. The user uploaded one other photo a month prior with a pony at some sort of event, made up to look like a unicorn. Not promising.

After a little Googling however, I turned up a post at Fortean phenomena site that I'm not familiar with (and I thought I knew them all) with some additional details and a embedded YouTube video.

Home Surveillance Video from Australia Shows Possible 'Tasmanian Tiger'

A resident of northern Kellyville, a suburb of Sydney, Australia, shared a video online last Monday that shows a quadrupedal animal walking along a driveway. The video was shot from the resident's home surveillance camera on June 3rd at approximately 2 a.m.

The video was posted on YouTube, and shared in the Sydney subreddit on social media site Reddit. A screenshot of the video was also posted to Imgur.

No link to it on Reddit (I may track it down after I post this).

It's (of course) a grainy b&w video but it looks legit enough. As for the animal in the video, it's impossible to gauge it's actual size and there's of course no color but the shape of the head doesn't appear inconsistent with a Tasmanian tiger and the tail looks right.

On the other hand, there are no discernible stripes. Also, the hind legs don't look right for a thylacine. Specifically, the tarsal/metatarsal bones look too long in proportion to the length of tibia/fibula. I suspect it may be a canid, possibly a fox.

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

I don't know the legs aren't too far off either.

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I have seen that exact critter in Texas on Austin bayou in Houston.
It was like a hairless coyote with a possum tail.

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

Well in that case, clearly a chupacabra.

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: GuidedKill

I dunno convergent evolution makes comparative anatomy a bitch.

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
a reply to: skunkape23

Well in that case, clearly a chupacabra.
That was what I said to myself aloud. "Holy shart! It's a fooking chupacabra!"

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

It looks so promising!

I wonder if the cameras are motion activated. If not, what made him check?

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 03:03 PM
link   

No doubt! Also there is no telling what physical condition those keep in captivity were in. They could have been malnourished and starving causing them to look different from a healthy animal.

Strange that's for sure. Thanks for posting it!

Why I used to love to come to ATS....Sad, threads like the OP are almost as elusive as the Thylacine these days.

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 03:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: GuidedKill

No doubt! Also there is no telling what physical condition those keep in captivity were in. They could have been malnourished and starving causing them to look different from a healthy animal.

Strange that's for sure. Thanks for posting it!

Why I used to love to come to ATS....Sad, threads like the OP are almost as elusive as the Thylacine these days.

The long tail is pretty convincing. Yep, good thread, nice diversion from the political threads nowadays.

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 03:26 PM
link   
If that's a fake, its a bloody good one.

Here is to hoping at least 1 extinct animal has dodged the bullet for a bit longer.

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 03:56 PM
link   
That's pretty interesting.

I'm not an authority on Thylacines, but that tail seems to be fairly distinctive. It also seems longer than I would expect a fox's tail to be, even with a bad case of mange.

The ears seem to be really small too, like a thylacine's.

Concerning the lack of stripes, I suppose the video could be pretty washed out.

Do thylacines have those stripes over the entire course of their lives? Does it vary with age, season, or sex?

Or are they susceptible to mange, as well? Maybe a mangy thylacine?

Great OP, though. Good find.

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Could they mate with any other canines or are they a marsupial

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Looks like a dingo to me. Pointy ears, the white tip at the end of its tail and the well defined hip bone.
No idea really, just comparing dingo pictures with this video to be honest

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Butterfinger

They are a marsupial.

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Jubei42

Dingos typically have shorter, shaggier tails than whatever is in this video. But who knows!

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Looks like a fox, the black on the lower legs and shape is right for a fox.Wouldn’t swear it, but it’s not a Tasmanian Tiger

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 04:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: ridgerunner
Looks like a fox, the black on the lower legs and shape is right for a fox.Wouldn’t swear it, but it’s not a Tasmanian Tiger

The prance is definitely foxish! But the tail is...un-fox-like. I wish he'd post a picture of the driveway in the daytime so someone could analyze the size.

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 04:37 PM
link   
That’s definitely a Tasmanian tiger minus the stripes, but as stated above it could be due to low lighting or any other issues with the conditions or it just lacks stripes? Sometimes it’s just the simplist answer.

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 07:02 PM
link   
The animal does appear to have stripes towards the base of it's tail.

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Nothing I'd like more than to see a living Thylacine.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join