It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School bus full of middle schoolers collides with dump truck, slams off New Jersey highway

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Injuries were reported but the extent of the injuries were not immediately clear, according to the police department in Mount Olive Township, which is about 50 miles west of New York City.

Morristown Medical Center has received an unknown number of patients from the accident, a medical center spokeswoman said.

School bus full of middle schoolers collides with dump truck, slams off New Jersey highway

A school bus full of middle schoolers collided with a dump truck and slammed off a New Jersey highway this morning, police said. Photos from the chaotic scene show the school bus on its side in the median of Route 80 near Mount Olive Township.

About 40 students were on the bus at the time, ABC New York station WABC-TV reported. Mount Olive Mayor Rob Greenbaum called the accident "horrific" in an interview with WABC.

Story is still developing.

Hoping no fatalities.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 11:59 AM
link   
My God. What a horrible accident.
Hoping for no loss of life...but it seems unlikely.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 12:47 PM
link   
What's the conspiracy angle here?

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
My God. What a horrible accident.
Hoping for no loss of life...but it seems unlikely.

Friend on the Rockaway, NJ PD is saying multiple ejections and the bus came completely off its chassis so it's gonna be bad.

edit on 17-5-2018 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
What's the conspiracy angle here?

None. But I think the bus driver got lost or took a wrong turn. The photos are from the International Drive overpass, the reports are they were going to Waterloo Village but to get there you get off prior to this at Exit 25/Route 206. How he ended up there is a bit confusing as you need to get off before that overpass and that overpass goes from the International Trade Center to an industrial park.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 01:05 PM
link   
You want the conspiracy . Every state has seat belt laws and if you dont use it you get a ticket .
Now the Government is so worried about making sure you live but somehow our kids dont rate this kind of worrying .

So how many of thous kids would have been ok if the school bus had seat belts ?
This is proof the Government dont give one fig for your or your kids life that all they really want is more ways to get your money .
They gain something from ticketing you they lose money putting seat belts in buses you do the math .

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I'm hearing 2 fatalities at this time.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: midnightstar

They gain something from ticketing you they lose money putting seat belts in buses you do the math .

School buses in New Jersey have legally required seatbelts.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 01:19 PM
link   

You want the conspiracy . Every state has seat belt laws and if you dont use it you get a ticket .
Now the Government is so worried about making sure you live but somehow our kids dont rate this kind of worrying .

So how many of thous kids would have been ok if the school bus had seat belts ?
This is proof the Government dont give one fig for your or your kids life that all they really want is more ways to get your money .

New Jersey is 1 of 6 states that requires seat belts on school buses, so wrong tree you're barking up there.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: slapjacks

This is absolutely terrible and tragic. I know two are reported dead at the moment. 2 dead after school bus crash I hope that's it, and the rest can recover. I can't imagine how terrifying it must have been for those children... the pictures are scary.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I figured, I was just trying to figure out the

obvious alternative or conspiracy angle
is to the story.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 01:57 PM
link   
wrong tree so finy after years 6 states require them in buses .
Last I checked we have 50 states and the seat belt law was started in New York 1984 so it only took 33 years for 6 states wow wrong tree indeed .
People on that tree need the Darwin award . You know the one who say wrong tree wanting seat belts on buses in every state .
edit on 17-5-2018 by midnightstar because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 01:58 PM
link   
yea 6 out of 50 states good enough . Except for these poor kids .

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 02:02 PM
link   

yea 6 out of 50 states good enough . Except for these poor kids .

Buddy you were wrong. It's ok. If you want to start a thread about how all the states need seat belt laws for school buses, feel free. This particular thread is about a school bus in New Jersey, that DOES have those laws you originally claimed were not there.

On the OP Update: It appears it was 1 Student, 1 Adult that was killed in this crash

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Horrible thing to happen.

Solution: Home School!

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Oh no! I don't understand why no
seat belts on school buses? Poor kids.

I guess they did have belts then.
edit on Rpm51718v34201800000047 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Middle school...that's eleven to about fourteen year olds. I hope the children are ok.
The roadway looks like a highway and I know on some parts of the Jersey turnpike the speed limit is sixty five. On a clear afternoon with light traffic everybody could have been going pretty fast. It may have been raining. There's storms up and down the coast today. Speed and weather could be contributing factors.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 02:47 PM
link   
What do you expect would happen.. I have seen the 'bus drivers' now a days and the 'dump truck' illegal willy it is bound to happen more and more the kid's do not matter if they can save a few #ing bucks it is sickening!!

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: randyvs

They've been installing them on newer buses but not retrofitting older busses at least not in my city. I was interviewed by a research panel with the city council about five or six years ago when it was the subject of a town hall meeting. They decided it was too expensive given that a lot of busses were going to age out of service within five or six years anyway.
I don't know about other cities but I'm thinking they probably had the same arguments about the issue.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 03:00 PM
link   

That's great. Virginia all busses entering the fleet must have them but they left it up to the cities about retrofitting older buses. My city decided any bus aging out within five years I think. Maybe seven. We live close enough that my son's walked or rode their bike.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join