It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Accidentally Discovered A Plastic-Eating Enzyme That Could Revolutionize Recycling

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2018 @ 08:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Iamonlyhuman

Right out of college I get a job doing "Insitu testing" using the clarifiers (giant tubs with arms that move slowly to stir) similar to this
nepis.epa.gov...

that test was about treating paint manufacturing waste and it was a bit yucky or so some said.

Glad I don't do it but the bugs we were testing with were recycling heavy metals. It was neat I was just out of school making peanuts but I liked it. That company ran Bio assays and with my degree I was glad to do it for peanuts just to get the experience. Glad to see the plastic eaters are here.

Now we have to watch out how they function! Hope we can sick them on that ocean plastic pollution and not have unleashed a different problem as our species is known to do.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 06:39 AM
link   
That's an amazing breakthrough, and I hope it leads to a reduction in our pollution problem.

Now if we could create an enzyme that punishes people who litter, and helps control the human population, and one that can save the planet from every other destructive force we apply to it.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Iamonlyhuman

Now all we need is to find that bacterias cousin who eats radioactive material and reduces it to less radioactive elements

and we are onto a winner!

the earth shall provide!

I can see it now , in just ten years our plastic waste will be non existant , this does not mean we produce more waste but we are conscious of how much plastic we waste and we clean this planet up to pre industrial levels!

and all the wars end and humanity is heralded into a new age of peace and prosperity that will last for aeons!

I have dreamt the impossible dream and now I manifest it here for the betterment of our species and the universe

new topics

<< 1   >>

join