It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pakistan blocks US diplomat from leaving after fatal crash

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Pakistan blocks US diplomat from leaving after fatal crash
"Pakistan has prevented a US diplomat from leaving the country after he
allegedly killed a motorcyclist by driving through a red light last month."

they are saying he was drunk.
you can See with this video he does run a red light.
crash video
and this video from last year!
Mr. Michael, first secretary in American Embassy Islamabad hit two cars on June 18, 2017 in Islamabad and was approached by the police on a complain launched by a citizen for hitting his car.

you can See why they dont want to let him go.
NOT in the US news ! BBC news see top link

edit on 12-5-2018 by buddha because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: buddha

Makes sense.

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

absolutely. In all my travels throughout my life, no people act with less grace in foreign lands than some of my countrymen.

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 07:11 PM
link   

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Got to love it when Pakistan violates diplomatic immunity.

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 09:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

Military Attaches don’t typically receive full diplomatic unity They get what is referred to as “functional immunity” which protects them from crimes that occur in the course of their role in the host country. For example, if he got into a fiat fight with a Pakistani diplomat during a meeting, he would’ve protected. if he got into a physical confrontation st a bar after hours, then hewouldnotreceive immunity. Something tells me that vehicular manslaughter doesn’t count as part of his function with the US Embassy in Islamabad.

ETA- it probably didn’t help his case that in mid march the US sent a letter to the Pakistani Embassy limiting their diplomats ability to travel to within 25 miles of their post unless they request permission to go beyond that radius 5 days in advance
edit on 12-5-2018 by peter vlar because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 10:16 PM
link   
a reply to: peter vlar

Yeah my bad.. My comment was based on the last link in the op. Didnt put it together that they were different incidents.

As for the distance limit that is nothing new. A lot of countries do that, including the US and Russia.
edit on 12-5-2018 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Diplomatic immunity is often misunderstood. In this case you would expect the US to concede that the diplomat has potentially committed a serious crime, so should face the music. That's what you would expect, but the US does operate at a level of arrogance not helped by Pakistan being very, very corrupt.

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 11:43 AM
link   
OMG! Fox news. tiny bit.

ISLAMABAD – Pakistani police say a car carrying an American diplomat has (accidentally) hit a Pakistani motorcyclist in the capital, Islamabad, killing him on the spot.
"Local police official Shafi Ullah said the U.S. diplomat was not arrested as he (ENJOYED) immunity under international law.
Hundreds of motorists are killed every year in Pakistan mainly because of disregard for (Traffic Rules)."
fox news link

they make it sound like its not his fault and that all bikers drive like idiots.

Nothing on CNN! not much on other sites.
and NOT the truth.
This looks like a US cover up!

edit on 13-5-2018 by buddha because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

The other thing about Diplomatic Immunity that people arent aware of is there are different levels to it, depending on the country and the type of staff at the embassy in question. Some mid level / low level diplomats and support staff have limited immunity and usually it only applies during their official duties. Outside of those duties they are not protected and subject to the laws of they country they are stationed in.

This was an issue a few years back when the feds arrested a diplomat from India (if I remember correctly). They took her into custody, which pissed off India. However her immunity was limited to official duties so the arrest was lawful and complied with the international protocols for diplomats.

The guy in the op is a military attache so he has limited immunity.

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Yeah my bad.. My comment was based on the last link in the op. Didnt put it together that they were different incidents.

As for the distance limit that is nothing new. A lot of countries do that, including the US and Russia.

The joys of ATS where we all have the opportunity to share information as well as learn something new. I wasn’t previously aware that we occasionally limit the travel of foreign diplomats. I wasn’t aware of it prior to reading about the impending limitations on Pakistani diplomats. Thanks for sharing that.

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Dont run people over.

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 08:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: peter vlar

The joys of ATS where we all have the opportunity to share information as well as learn something new. I wasn’t previously aware that we occasionally limit the travel of foreign diplomats. I wasn’t aware of it prior to reading about the impending limitations on Pakistani diplomats. Thanks for sharing that.

For the most part is it restricted to only a few countries and even then it revolves around the foreign Ambassadors to the United Nations in New York. N. Korea, Syria and Iran etc and a few others are restricted to the 25 mile radius.

Other reasons for restricting travel radius with prior notification is for national security reasons. Just keep in mind they can still travel outside that radius but must seek permission from the host country to do so. Right now, and unless something changed, the US and Russia currently restrict some low and mid level diplomats from each country to 25 miles.

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 08:23 PM
link   
South African diplomat, Arjen Rudd, tried to claim "diplomatic immunity" in the 80's hit film "Lethal Weapon 2" ...L.A. Police Seargeant Roger Murtaugh wasn't having any of it, though. Classic scene where he takes care of the problem with one shot, exclaiming afterward: "Its just been revoked!"

That was an extreme case of treachery, but I suspect Mr. Michael will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of Pakistani law in this instance. As he should be. And I hope he is held liable. He is an embarrassment to the American people, and the family of the motorcyclist he killed deserves closure and restitution for his wreckless negligence. We are guests in their country. Not entitled royalty ...

top topics

join