It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comic donations

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Hi all,
Sorry if this is a repeat thread. I have a few thousand comics dating back 30 yrs and would like to donate to a good cause. Is there a good charity that I could donate too, that might also serve as a tax writeoff? I reside in the Minn area.
Thanks

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: openmindedskeptic1219

Save the comics and donate your time.

People helping people can be more rewarding and often more effective than just giving money.

My two cents.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 09:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: openmindedskeptic1219
Hi all,
Sorry if this is a repeat thread. I have a few thousand comics dating back 30 yrs and would like to donate to a good cause. Is there a good charity that I could donate too, that might also serve as a tax writeoff? I reside in the Minn area.
Thanks

Your local library could really use those if you must get rid of them (I could never part with a collection like that). Comics serve as a portal to reading for many young people.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Burn them!!! Comics do nothing but spread propaganda. Burn them and return them to the cosmos and screw taxes just don’t pay them. What’s the worst than can happen?

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I will be happy to give you my address. I will accept your donation.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Maybe sell them and then donate the money.
If you donate these to a registered charity to get a tax write off, you'll need a legitimate appraisal of what each comic is worth.
Then the charity has to devote resources to turning this giant collection into money they can actually use.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 10:28 AM
link   

2 answers.

1 What DBCowboy said.

2 Sell the comics yourself and donate the proceeds to a small local charity that helps people instead of themselves. (Red-Cross, Humanitas and Greenpeace, to name a few have huge overheads and Directors that earn 200,000 a year. Terrible charities to donate to imho)

By giving them a bunch of comics you are just giving them work. They may be worth a pretty penny but I think it would be more efficient and effective if you sold them yourself. I believe there are sites devoted to selling comics, especially older and collectible comics.

Food-banks, genuine homeless shelters, women's refuges, etc will all be very grateful for any financial help you can offer. You could also offer to buy them something they need. Food (non-perishable), fridges, freezers, etc.

Good luck! And thank you on their behalf.

(Disclosure: I used to volunteer at a food-bank. Very rewarding work)
edit on 7/5/18 by LightSpeedDriver because: Typo

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Donate them to the ten nearest hospitals or hospice for children
The sick kids there could need some good comics to lighten up the day

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Spacespider

Thank you. I have enjoyed a good read and don't mind parting with them for a good cause. I could sell them, but eureka...to go through that many and then try to figure a reasonable estimate.....I don't care so much about the value per say, but would rather donate to a good cause

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 02:21 PM
link   
You might check into some literacy programs that help kids with learning disabilities like dyslexia. Sometimes, comics and graphic novels will help coax a reluctant reader where other things won't.

The subject matter in comics might be just what the doctor ordered for middle school and high school kids -- boys especially.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 03:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: openmindedskeptic1219
a reply to: Spacespider

Thank you. I have enjoyed a good read and don't mind parting with them for a good cause. I could sell them, but eureka...to go through that many and then try to figure a reasonable estimate.....I don't care so much about the value per say, but would rather donate to a good cause

A free pass to heaven is better then any money

But hay.. if you need the money, then go for that

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 04:09 PM
link   

I have a friend that is really big in the comic book scene. He makes and sells his own comics and he also attends comic book conventions. I am going to ask him about this and I will get back to you with his response.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Alright, I just talked to my friend and this was his response:

"I know a lot of shops will donate stuff to libraries. I'd have him call a local comic shop - they'd probably have a good idea, and help get them into a charities hands."

Hope that helps! Cheers.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 04:54 PM
link   

What’s in your collection if I may ask? I have a small collection myself and am curious as to what you may have acquired over the years.

posted on Oct, 22 2019 @ 01:39 AM
link   

top topics

join