It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Playstation/x-box or PC

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Hi guys, my personal computer seriously crashed and need to buy a new one. I've been looking around and if I want to play some of the newest games I will need a PC with a very expensive graphics card. Being prepared for the future this will mean a GTX 1080 card. And these cards are more expensive than buying a playstation.

So, I wonder... what should motivate me to buy a 1000 euro+ PC ..if I want to play these latest games on it. Or why not buy a cheap computer for the basic computer stuff and use the rest of the money to buy a playstation or X-Box.

While at it...what should be the better choice.. a playstation or a x-box?

Zat ~

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: zatara

1000 Euro? I built one with a second hand office computer and put in a GTX 1050 and a massive power supply.
Then I used parts from my old rig to beef up the RAM etc.

Cost me £350.

ETA: That price is including a 24" HD monitor. If your monitor works then you can do it cheaper.
edit on 28-4-2018 by Wide-Eyes because: ☝

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 12:13 PM
link   
You wouldn't actually need a 1080 to future proof your machine. What resolution do you game in normally? I have friends using 900 series from nvidia and they're still going strong now without the need to upgrade for a while?! I actually find that pc games are usually cheaper than the console counterparts even on release day. If you have a lot of friends that play on the pc still then that maybe a reason to stay with the pc. What actually happened to your pc is none of it salvageable at all?

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 12:18 PM
link   
PlayStation, if it’s for straight up gaming then it is the best

PC is good but it depends on what you want and what kind of investment you want to make, you have a.m. pretty amazing choice of games and obviously your mammoth pc gaming rig will be good for more than just gaming. PC is second in my view although I am sure many would disagree with me on that

Xbox is only worth it in my view if you have a ton of friends on the system or you are a massive halo/gears fan however thanks to Microsoft cross-play you can get them now on PC also. The specs for the Xbox x are pretty epic though even compared to the PS4 pro but I I would never actually recommend Xbox to anyone despite this.

I notice that you left out the Nintendo switch, depending on the types of games you like then it might be worth looking into.

For me personally having owned all of the above PlayStation wins every time.
edit on 28-4-2018 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 12:19 PM
link   
zatara

XBOX 1S

I ain't got time for PC I just want to Plug N Play.

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Has ps online caught up with live yet? That's was always the main selling point at one time for the xbox. Live was superior for a long time over sonys online features??

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Woody510

PC is infinitely a better gaming experience if you can get into it. However, I've found that most people prefer consoles because they're easier to use.

Noobs...

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Woody510

Has ps online caught up with live yet? That's was always the main selling point at one time for the xbox. Live was superior for a long time over sonys online features??

I use both but because most of my mates use psn I probably use that more than live and in my view their is no difference.

I like some of the backwards compatibility of xbox so there is thst

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

Pc gamer here mate and was a big xbox gamer as well and yet the xbox has sat untouched for two years now. I made a thread today on here about system specs

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 12:27 PM
link   
unless it crashed out of a plane theres parts in there that are fine ... 1080 for what i have a old amd 8 core 16 gigs of ddr3 and 2 r9 290 not many games iv ever even needed to put my system in crossfire for at 1440p and i doubt ill need to for some time

my gpu's i got off ebay for under 250 ea with not to much effort

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 12:29 PM
link   

If you're a serious gamer I'd go with pc.

If you're trying to save some money and get a great gaming system and play mainly single player I'd go Playstation. They have a few exclusives people really enjoy (but are typically campaign oriented).

If you want to go cheap but want a great online platform, Xbox. Their online platform is truly bar none IMO. You can post a looking for group on any game and include things like mic required or adults only just to name a few and people can instantly join your party.

Xbox also has pubg, so that's enough of a reason right there haha.

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 12:30 PM
link   

very expensive graphics card.

That's not true. I run fallout 4 and dark souls 3 in ultra graphics using a gtx 1050 that I bought from newegg for $170.

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Personally if I was the op I'd go with whatever system friends are on that's going to be the most enjoyable thing to do.

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Zatara

I've recently updated my (built a whole new system!!) PC. Amd have caught up with Intels advantage and the latest versions of both companies middle of the road chips are really good. Gpu is where you need to spend the money if you are looking at gaming in a higher definition other than HD.
Both Xbox and Playstation up scale to 4K, the Xbox 1X is native 4K.
At the end of the day, it's how you game and who with that will make the decision for you.

edit on 28-4-2018 by Kurokage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 12:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes

1000 Euro? I built one with a second hand office computer and put in a GTX 1050 and a massive power supply.

Then I used parts from my old rig to beef up the RAM etc.

Cost me £350.

ETA: That price is including a 24" HD monitor. If your monitor works then you can do it cheaper.

You should start a shop.. with such creative skills refurbishingp and upgrading computers for prizes you have in mind there is money to be made... Let us not forget the 24" HD screens included.

Have a nice one..

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 12:33 PM
link   

I use both but because most of my mates use psn I probably use that more than live and in my view their is no difference.

I think the looking for group feature is a huge difference.

You can find similarly skilled players with mics in about five minute on any semi popular game to fill your team or squad.

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 12:37 PM
link   
PC Master race here. Now days though, I don't game but my PC is an awesome HTPC now for watching movies with my daughter.

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Woody510
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

Pc gamer here mate and was a big xbox gamer as well and yet the xbox has sat untouched for two years now. I made a thread today on here about system specs

I will look it up mate.

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 12:39 PM
link   

You don't need to have a GTX 1080. That said, because of bit coin miners of all walks of life have been buying up all the GPU's to mine that coin so prices have been skyrocketing because of supply and demand.

Do you plan on building a PC or wasting way too much money premade buying one from HP, Alienware, etc?

The only reason to ever buy a console nowadays is if a certain game(s) will be a console exclusive game, but even then ugh.

edit on 28-4-2018 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

very expensive graphics card.

That's not true. I run fallout 4 and dark souls 3 in ultra graphics using a gtx 1050 that I bought from newegg for $170.

No, Yes..they are expensive. Maybe because we pay 21% tax here in holland. A gtx 1080 will set me back at least 650 euro's. Of course you can play certain games on a 120 euro graphics card... everybody can understand that. I would like be able to play the most graphics heavy demanding games without having to buy an other card for a few years up ahead. And then there is VR...

edit on 28/4/2018 by zatara because: (no reason given)

<<   2  3  4 >>

join