It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Windows 10 on HP laptop

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

You’re gonna have to ask google where to find the HP update list but just uninstall all things HP first.

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Swills
a reply to: makemap

This guy HP’s.

I can't afford a good lappy.

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 03:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe
a reply to: Swills

That's it.....the updates don't show on the Windows update page....

Try this. Obvious, you won't find HP updates on windows update. I've already uninstall all HP programs from my computer a long time ago. HP have been known to not support their pre-installed products. Instead of RegSeeker, do ccleaner(safest free cleaning program ever).

www.ccleaner.com...

www.techwalla.com...
edit on 22-4-2018 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 03:26 PM
link   

I saw that happening on two computers with Windows 7, in both it was Windows Update that got stuck with something, so I think Swills' suggestion is the best way to start, see if there was any failed update.

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

Windows hasn't updated in the last few days....and we did check that, no failed windows updates.

No idea if an HP update failed today....cannot find that updates list.

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 05:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: ArMaP

I saw that happening on two computers with Windows 7, in both it was Windows Update that got stuck with something, so I think Swills' suggestion is the best way to start, see if there was any failed update.

I know what you are going through with your win7 problem. I had the same issue and it happened right after a short power surge. I assume yours is trying to update but when it does it can’t complete the update?

When that happened to me I called windows support and they remotely accessed my pc and deleted everything. Don’t call them lol Just install win10 or backup all your stuffs and reinstall win7. BUT REALLY DO NOT CALL THEM

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 05:24 PM
link   
you can try updating in safe mode, thats helped me in similar situations before.

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 05:28 PM
link   

I'm clinging to my Win 7 for dear life. I saw what they did to the interface with Win 8 and felt lost. To remove the HP bundled bloatware should be simple enough.

1st Open control panel.

In the search box on the taskbar, type control panel, and then select Control Panel.

2nd Open programs in the control panel. You can either search for "programs" or click browse and then select it manually.

You should now see a list of all programs installed. Look for things with HP in the name. HP Service Centre (from memory) is one of the ones you want to remove. Select the program of choice, click uninstall/remove and let the de-installer do its work. You can also look for the maker of the software you want to remove. HP should be listed. Reboot afterwards.

Can't help you with the windows installer problems as I have Windows 7 but I know that Microsoft have made it a royal pain in the ass since Windows 7. Software catalogs must be scanned, backups/restore points made, catalogs rebuilt, yada yada yada. It can take a while for the updates to be applied with all the other tasks now involved but it should settle down eventually unless it is in some kind of loop trying to repeatedly install an update that cannot or will not install correctly. Internet forums are full of update problems and it's hard if not impossible to see the wood through the trees.

Good luck!

edit on 22/4/18 by LightSpeedDriver because: Typo

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 05:43 PM
link   

I had a similar thing happen to my laptop after a bunch of updates and I ended up forgetting about it for a few hours as I had to step out and then when I came back the issue seemed to be gone. I wonder if it might just be doing some work to configure the updates after they are installed. My best guess.

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 05:57 PM
link   

a reply to: seeker1963

Still need to disable that nasty Cortana.

Did you try this tip?

Also check this one out: Destroy Windows 10 Spyin

Its kinda puzzling to me, why anyone would use Win 10 on this site, well anywhere

Oh, and btw... should all fail...
edit on 22/4/2018 by kloejen because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 06:06 PM
link   
OK....here's what I ended up doing, as I still haven't found a place that HP lists the updates to BIOS, drivers, etc.

Using this link [which I got from Toms Hardware], I went to Advice 6....and scrolled down to the comments....which suggested Suspending the process....
tunecomp.net...
Seems to have worked....so far!!!!

How about using SYSTEM RESTORE??????????
I've heard mixed opinions of that fix over the years.

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 06:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: kloejen

Did you try this tip?

That is next on the list.
I didn't want to do that until the 2-week return for a new computer ran out.
Messing with the Registry and all

That Destroy...Spyin.....hmmmm....might try that as well....or not....I will have to look into it first.
Thanks.

Linux......not sure I'm ready for that

edit on Sun Apr 22 2018 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 06:10 PM
link   

You need to get shed of some of the programs auto-loading at Windows start.
Although , Windows Supercache can use some resources at the start. But then should reduce in a few minutes.

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 06:17 PM
link   

I am not advising this as it is not for everyone. However , most folk do not do the updates from suppliers of the PC. They learn what devices they have from Device Manager and update individual devices from the device manufacturers' websites.

There is an issue out now on Intel's MEI firmware that may be causing this issue as you say you updated firmware . And I say might because I do not know if you have the Intel chipset.

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 06:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

But which ones?
We don't really have many outside of the windoze crap.

The AV....malwarebytes....not much else, really.
SIGH!!!!

I still think it has to do with the crap HP said to install today.
Everything was moving along very well.

Also, any ideas on HP Jumpstart...seems like an unnecessary, bloatware program to me?????

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 06:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: kloejen

Did you try this tip?

That is next on the list.
I didn't want to do that until the 2-week return for a new computer ran out.
Messing with the Registry and all

That Destroy...Spyin.....hmmmm....might try that as well.
Thanks.

Linux......not sure I'm ready for that

Let's not and just say we did.
Windows registry - Where angels fear to tread
Highly trained professional . Please do not try this at home...
Linux is not bad . Just be prepared to Google a billion different items as you learn...and start with VM

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Damn!!!!!
I think I need to turn off the HP updates!!!!!

I did think it was odd, and as long as I have had Dell PCs, I've never gotten a message to update anything.
The lappy does have an Intel processor.....but I still don't know where to look to see what was updated.....it was like 5-6 items.
I'm mad at myself for doing this at this point

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 06:34 PM
link   

But which ones?
We don't really have many outside of the windoze crap.

The AV....malwarebytes....not much else, really.
SIGH!!!!

I still think it has to do with the crap HP said to install today.
Everything was moving along very well.

Also, any ideas on HP Jumpstart...seems like an unnecessary, bloatware program to me?????

It was the updates...
Windows is probably trying to install the latest Microsoft provided drivers
You can turn off Windows updates for a while and do a manual update periodically

Jumpstart is apparently needed to assist new users in registering Windows and the applications provided by HP

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Damn!!!!!

I did think it was odd, and as long as I have had Dell PCs, I've never gotten a message to update anything.
The lappy does have an Intel processor.....but I still don't know where to look to see what was updated.....it was like 5-6 items.
I'm mad at myself for doing this at this point

Bingo. Give the winner the lucky cigar

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Trust me....that will happen first thing in the morning!!!!!!!! LOL

How do you turn off Win 10 update?
Disable Trusted Installer and wuauserv???

For now, suspending TiWorker seems to be fixing it....fingers crossed.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join