It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tribute to an allstar band and its legends

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I’ve always been a fan of this band’s talent and collaborative efforts. Initially The Traveling Wilburys was started by George Harrison and Jeff Flynn getting together to record. Roy Orbison , Bob Dylan , and later Tom Petty were added into the mix. They had great commercial success from 1988 to 1991, winning a grammy for best rock performance by duo or group in 1990.

Sadly Harrison, Orbison, and Petty are no longer with us on this earth , but their music lives on.

A little history ...

The band came together in April 1988, when Harrison was in Los Angeles to oversee the filming of his HandMade production Checking Out. At that time, Warner Bros. Records asked Harrison for a new song to serve as the B-side for the European release of his third single from Cloud Nine, "This Is Love". During a meal with Lynne and Orbison, Harrison asked Lynne to help him record the track and invited Orbison to attend the session, which he then arranged to take place at Dylan's garage studio in Malibu since no professional studios were available at such short notice. Petty's involvement came about when Harrison went to retrieve his guitar from Petty's house and invited him to attend also.

Here is another of my favs by them. I love the lyrics in both songs I’ve posted and they are posted in tribute to truly awesome and entertaining group of humans who can be considered legends in the music industry.

edit on 11-4-2018 by Sheye because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 12:10 PM
link   
S+F!

One of my all time favorites with some of the best musicians in the world. Never saw them live as a group...did see a few of them solo...but they were the soundtrack to my high school years, along with Op Ivy, Social Distortion, Johhny Cash, etc.

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I'm a closet lover of the Traveling Wilburys!!! I never knew how this talented bunch of musicians & singers came about until I read your post!!! If Orbison Orbison and Petty & George were still here, I wonder if the band would have continued to perform off-and-on??

Thanks so much for this great post!!!!

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 12:47 PM
link   
One of my favorites also! Thanks for the history, very cool.

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 01:13 PM
link   
When I seen the title of this thread I thought,
"They'd better be referring to the Wilburys, or I'll set them right." Good choice!
A bit of unknown trivia; In Petty's song "Running down a Dream," the line,
"Me and Del were singing, Little Runaway, I was flying."
Referred to a day he had spent with Del Shannon at a time when the Wilburys were considering to invite him to fill in the gap opened by Orbison''s death.
Unfortunately Shannon committed suicide before they were able to.

I've loved this group since I was a child and while I wish it were possible to see those songs performed live, I don't think it would be possible to find a group with the vocal chemistry those guys had.

Incidentally, when I first heard the Headstones cover of Tweeter and the Monkey Man, my first thought was, "What the f##$!!!" They absolutely butchered it.

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I love this band so much. Amazing, legendary voices all together. Brings back a lot of memories. Thank you for the post!

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Sheye

There's a nice little film on them on YT. I'll see if I can find it later. It goes through with them and they're commenting on everything from recording to using Harrison's refrigerator as percussion, to how Dylan was pro with 1 takes.

ETA: Found it!

edit on 11-4-2018 by kelbtalfenek because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 02:37 PM
link   

I went to the same school as Jeff Lynne.

My one of two claims to fame.

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: kelbtalfenek

There's a nice little film on them on YT. I'll see if I can find it later. It goes through with them and they're commenting on everything from recording to using Harrison's refrigerator as percussion, to how Dylan was pro with 1 takes.

ETA: Found it!

Thank you for that addition!!! Going to watch it now .

ETA: Just watched it and it’s superbly done. A real look into the actual recordings. It clearly shows that the whole project of putting this band together was Harrison’s brain child.

Once again thank you for bringing it to our attention and dropping it in this thread.

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 06:01 AM
link   
They had Roy, they should have got Leon.

I love Roy btw.

top topics

join