It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House Speaker Paul Ryan will not seek reelection, he tells friends and colleagues

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 09:47 AM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

As I told a previous poster. I blame things like the acronym "RINO". Where if you side with liberals in ANY regard you are immediately ostracized by your party. And this comes from the hyper partisan media the public consumes these days. Liberals have their own tribalism going on as well too. So they aren't exactly better. Each side needs to relearn the definition of compromise and then go study history and relearn that our country was founded on and exists as it does today because of our ancestors were able to set aside their differences and compromise with one another. Shirking compromise is only going to tear us further and further apart.

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 09:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: DanDanDat
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Well except that on the left we don't actively try to label people as not liberals just because they aren't liberal enough

Fake news.

Cynthia Nixon Calls Cuomo a 'Wannabe Republican'

www.google.com...=y

I see you had to take my words out of context and literally remove the sentence that followed up after that one:
"Well except that on the left we don't actively try to label people as not liberals just because they aren't liberal enough. There is barely anyone (if there is anyone at all) using the acronym "DINO". "
edit on 11-4-2018 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 09:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

originally posted by: AndyFromMichigan

originally posted by: jjkenobi
Was Ryan ever a true Conservative?

Nope. He's fought Trump every step of the way. Good bye, Paul. We won't miss you.

Gotta love the tired argument that because the person isn't an unquestioning sycophant that makes them not a conservative. Ryan is VERY much a conservative. Those tax cuts were his brain child, and y'all cheered them relentlessly.

The tax cuts, for most of us on the bottom and in the middle weren't helpful or meaningful, but only slightly better than nothing. I could have cared less, as they did for more for those at the top who don't need it, than those on the bottom who do need it. Trickle-down economics is a fallacy, as the people at the top exhibit the most greed out of any class on the planet.

Mr. Ryan caved and gave into many things he shouldn't have over the years and was basically a fanboy to the former administration going along with whatever Mr. Obama nudged him on.

A bid him a not-so-fond farewell, and hope he doesn't let the door hit him in the backside on his way out.

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 09:51 AM
link   

a reply to: SlapMonkey

As I told a previous poster. I blame things like the acronym "RINO". Where if you side with liberals in ANY regard you are immediately ostracized by your party. And this comes from the hyper partisan media the public consumes these days. Liberals have their own tribalism going on as well too. So they aren't exactly better. Each side needs to relearn the definition of compromise and then go study history and relearn that our country was founded on and exists as it does today because of our ancestors were able to set aside their differences and compromise with one another. Shirking compromise is only going to tear us further and further apart.

Being able to compromise is one thing, but bending on everything and having no backbone is another.

There is a difference, a balance; it has been lost for a long time in many, many aspects.

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 09:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Middleoftheroad
Because I know many conservatives that aren't religious and many liberals that are. I guess I asked a serious question to the wrong poster, so just disregard. Continue on with the jokes, ATS needs them.

Why do you think a Populist posing as a Conservative is funny?

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 09:55 AM
link   

a reply to: Arnie123

You can't honestly think that the wave that got Trump into office is never going to break do you?

PS: WaPo being my source pissing you off makes me happy.

It hasn't broken so far - despite the incessant efforts of the media, including WaPo. What do you think is going to break it now?

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 09:56 AM
link   

I see you had to take my words out of context and literally remove the sentence that followed up after that one:
"Well except that on the left we don't actively try to label people as not liberals just because they aren't liberal enough. There is barely anyone (if there is anyone at all) using the acronym "DINO". "

So a primary candidate for governor in one of the largest blue states in the country is "barely anyone" .... ok Mac.

Here's another one for you from a top progressive leader.

www.google.com...

I don’t think a progressive administration leaves people in NYCHA housing with mold or takes 10 years to close Rikers

This is what everyone is talking about when they say people live in an echo chamber. They see all the faults of their political opponents but never see the faults on their own side.

edit on 11-4-2018 by DanDanDat because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Because I know many conservatives that aren't religious and many liberals that are. I guess I asked a serious question to the wrong poster, so just disregard. Continue on with the jokes, ATS needs them.

Why do you think a Populist posing as a Conservative is funny?

Please link where I stated that, so I can properly reply.

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Well except that on the left we don't actively try to label people as not liberals just because they aren't liberal enough

Fake news.

Cynthia Nixon Calls Cuomo a 'Wannabe Republican'

www.google.com...=y

True that - Democrats are better at running candidates who won't compromise and vote as a block, motivated by power and not serving the people. I guess it's maybe just a minority party mindset and the Republicans are little better when they have their ideological knickers in a twist too.
This partisanship is indeed a big problem. I don't see many actually trying to fix it though - except perhaps Trump.

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 10:03 AM
link   

So a primary candidate for governor in the one of the largest blue states in the country is "barely anyone" .... ok Mac.

Yes. One person is indeed "barely anyone". That is a singular anecdote you found which covers the barely anyone aspect of my words.

This is what everyone is talking about when they say people live in an echo chamber. They see all the faults of their political opponents but never see the faults on their own side.

Ok. Two anecdotes. Still barely anyone saying this. I hope you know or realize that anecdotes don't prove a trend.
edit on 11-4-2018 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth
except perhaps Trump.

OMG. I was ignoring your posts until I saw this line. You cannot ACTUALLY think that Trump is bi-partisan? His entire thing is to appeal to the small sub-set of extreme conservatives in the country and ignore the desires of literally everyone else. Even when he suggests ideas that are even remotely bi-partisan his crazy ass advisers convince him otherwise and he ends up doubling down on the extreme conservative side. Sheesh... If you think Trump is bipartisan then I have a giant wall to sell you on the cheap.

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Please link where I stated that, so I can properly reply.

You think what I'm saying is funny and I'm saying a Populist is posing as a Conservative while the real Conservative is being told to take his ass elsewhere.

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cygnis
Being able to compromise is one thing, but bending on everything and having no backbone is another.

There is a difference, a balance; it has been lost for a long time in many, many aspects.

Lol. We have a LONG way to go in the compromise department before anyone can reasonably be accusing someone as bending over backwards for the other. This is literally more rhetoric that promotes the extremism that is tearing our country apart.

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 10:13 AM
link   

So a primary candidate for governor in the one of the largest blue states in the country is "barely anyone" .... ok Mac.

Yes. One person is indeed "barely anyone". That is a singular anecdote you found which covers the barely anyone aspect of my words.

Ok. Two anecdotes. Still barely anyone saying this. I hope you know or realize that anecdotes don't prove a trend.

How many do I need to show you?

But if you where being truthful with your self you would accept that these are not just "anecdotal". Anecdotal would be if I told you my liberal friend down at the bar called my other liberal friend a LINO. Than you would be correct to dismiss what you dont want to hear; cause that would just be an anecdote.

But when my argument involves two/three of the top leaders on the left excsususing each other of not being liberal enough that's not an anecdote its "what's happening" on the left.

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Krazysh0t

But if you where being truthful with your self you would accept that these are not just "anecdotal". Anecdotal would be if I told you my liberal friend down at the bar called my other liberal friend a LINO. Than you would be correct to dismiss what you dont want to hear; cause that would just be an anecdote.

But when my argument involves two/three of the top leaders on the left accusing each other of not being liberal enough that's not an anecdote its "what's happening" on the left.

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 10:15 AM
link   

I'd prefer you to just stop this nonsense as it is petty and off topic, but if you truly wish to continue then go study Statistics and learn how to make a trend chart.

Lol. Yes they are anecdotes. You are telling a story. That's an anecdote.

But when my argument involves two/three of the top leaders on the left excsususing each other of not being liberal enough that's not an anecdote its "what's happening" on the left.

Wrong. You can't rewrite the definition of words just because your anecdotes are about top liberals.

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 10:17 AM
link   

I'd prefer you to just stop this nonsense as it is petty and off topic, but if you truly wish to continue then go study Statistics and learn how to make a trend chart.

Wrong. You can't rewrite the definition of words just because your anecdotes are about top liberals.

I'm not telling you a story. In linking the news for you to read. You just dont want to accept it.

link   

except perhaps Trump.

OMG. I was ignoring your posts until I saw this line. You cannot ACTUALLY think that Trump is bi-partisan? His entire thing is to appeal to the small sub-set of extreme conservatives in the country and ignore the desires of literally everyone else. Even when he suggests ideas that are even remotely bi-partisan his crazy ass advisers convince him otherwise and he ends up doubling down on the extreme conservative side. Sheesh... If you think Trump is bipartisan then I have a giant wall to sell you on the cheap.

Seems to me that Trump has offered a few deals to Democrats - which have gone in an opposite direction to what his base wants. He's offered a path to citizenship for 1.8m illegal aliens, which is the best deal the Democrats have ever had, but they refused because they did not want proper border security. The Omnibus bill was also a bitter pill for Trump supporters to swallow. He compromised on essentially everything in order to get his military funding.

Words are cheap - like saying "His entire thing is to appeal to the small sub-set of extreme conservatives in the country and ignore the desires of literally everyone else." The reality doesn't back up such partisan (and rather stupid) statements.

Perhaps you could take a leaf out of your President's book and be a little less extreme when considering the needs of those you so vehemently oppose. To be fair, you've identified the partisan issue at play today, but you are perhaps one of the worst culprits for propagating it.

edit on 11/4/2018 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

link   

By this definition, every single poll is anecdotal in nature and thus should be discarded.

As would the majority of clinical trials.

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Seems to me that Trump has offered a few deals to Democrats - which have gone in an opposite direction to what his base wants. He's offered a path to citizenship for 1.8m illegal aliens, which is the best deal the Democrats have ever had, but they refused because they did not want proper border security. The Omnibus bill was also a bitter pill for Trump supporters to swallow. He compromised on essentially everything in order to get his military funding.

Yes. I acknowledged that in my post. When he comes up with a decision that is seen as bi-partisan, he gets told not to do that by either Sean Hannity or his crazy ass advisers then he renegs. Look at the Dreamers. Congress gave him a bi-partisan bill to legalize the Dreamers and give him funding for his wall, but he vetoed it then blamed Democrats for failing Dreamers.

Words are cheap - like saying "His entire thing is to appeal to the small sub-set of extreme conservatives in the country and ignore the desires of literally everyone else." The reality doesn't back up such partisan (and rather stupid) statements.

Yes words ARE cheap. That's why Trump suggesting bi-partisan measures but signing extremely right wing bills anyways makes his words hollow.

Perhaps you could take a leaf out of your President's book and be a little less extreme when considering the needs of those you so vehemently oppose.

*eye roll* And here comes the ad hominems...

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join