It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fair Play For Gypsies And Travellers

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2018 @ 09:47 AM
link   
I'm part Romany. Please leave out the insults. I've had a couple of whiskeys and I just might respond.

If anyone can find a better quality version of this film please link it.

Here is the inside story regarding horses. There is much to be learned from this.

Getting down the the ATS stuff. Gypsies and Travellers have been infiltrated by British Intelligence since at least the early sixties. The plan was to use the more criminal elements to destabilise society. Gullible lefty do-gooders were manipulated in much the same way as they were manipulated over the Calais 'refugee' crisis. The worst elements were put forward as a cause worth fighting for while the best were ignored.

Some Irish Travellers know their history. Some are proud to have worked as mercenaries for the Romans. It goes that far back.

The number of different tribes and types of travellers is unknown. Secrecy and planned illiteracy saw to that. Yes, planned illiteracy. Top cats like their tribe to be ignorant so they can use them as they please.

We are the only national charity that works on behalf of all Gypsies, Travellers and Roma regardless of ethnicity, culture or background. We seek to end racism and discrimination against Gypsies, Travellers and Roma . . .
www.gypsy-traveller.org...

This seems to fit with the British establishments brainwashing agenda. We're supposed to see all travelling people in the same light and lament the discrimination they suffer. Yet some are the best people on earth, and some are part of international criminal syndicates.

Fair play for Gypsies and Travellers means take them as they are. As they really are.

I've been with Irish Travellers who were so primitive they were almost stone-age, yet they were honest people with no greed or malice. I've been helped by a terrifying looking Irish Traveller when the 'respectable' looking people wouldn't lift a finger to help me. I'm armed 24/7 partly because of the threat of reprisal from a particular group of Irish Travellers. It's ignorant to tar all with the same brush.

I have Romany blood but no Romany culture. I'm largely ignorant. All comments welcome but please leave out the insults.

Fair play for Gypsies and Travellers.
edit on 9 4 2018 by Kester because: remove sentence

edit on 9 4 2018 by Kester because: upper case

posted on Apr, 9 2018 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Not so sure the British infiltration conspiracy theory (nor the purported aims of such) are that trustworthy...

There are a number of reality shows that try to show Gypsy culture, but often the more negative aspects (because, lets face it, it is for entertainment. )

My wife has some in her blood, but since neither she, nor her family every really lived the culture in modern times, it really isn't much more than a heritage curiosity for us.

These days, more and more Gypsies are more likely to put down roots, have a home, etc. than practice the true culture of being a traveler.

Indeed, there are many other, non-Gypsy groups, that fit this description better. One of those groups, we have many different friends who live that lifestyle....Rennies, (or Ren Fest folks) Travel from place to place, working shows, selling wares, etc. Some of which do so even in actual gypsy wagon replicas. Not for me, but fascinating nonetheless. If I got into it when I was younger.....)

CX

posted on Apr, 9 2018 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Never done me any harm the ones I've met...and I used to enjoy watching the bare knuckle stuff when I was serving along the border in S. Armagh now and again.

Times have changed so much though, I live in the south of the UK and my elderly neighbour used to tell me of the days when there were a few gypsy encampments around the forest here...and how when some newcomers to a camp would turn up, the local village vicar would go to the primary school, grab a handful of young lads to go and help them set up camp

Can you imagine that happening now?

Live and let live I say. Yes I know there are a few that let the side down, but isn't there in every culture?

CX.

posted on Apr, 9 2018 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Gazrok

There are a number of reality shows . . .

Picking out the worst and putting them forward as representative of the whole.

Here you see behind the scenes.

posted on Apr, 9 2018 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Kester

Met some Gypsies on the ferry from Liverpool to Dublin, and had a really great time with the funny and generous people I met.

What a cool concept for a thread, thank you for that memory.

posted on Apr, 9 2018 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Gypsies and Travellers have been infiltrated by British Intelligence since at least the early sixties. The plan was to use the more criminal elements to destabilise society.

They do that in the states too. Occupy, BLM, to name two. Infiltrators can derail a movement , turn peaceful protest into window smashing, car burning riots. Then the cops show up with the media in tow to get glorious riotous footage for the 6'Oclock news.

See the evil demonstrators destroying our way of life.

posted on Apr, 9 2018 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Ordinary citizens need protection from Gypsies and Travellers, not the other way around.

The Mafia probably has some friendly people, too

posted on Apr, 9 2018 @ 11:00 AM
link   
The wife and me spent about a year travelling around on foot mostly in France with a pony cart. We don't have any gypsy blood as far as we know. It was a fantastic experience during which the two of us bonded even more. One thing we noticed while being on the road like this was that the reception we got from the locals seemed to correlate strongly with the presence or absence of travellers (gens de voyage).

In most regions people were friendly, curious and welcoming. If we started getting more reserved reactions there usually was a traveller community close by. Most (obvious) travellers we encountered were of the motorized variety. Only once did we approach a little town where a traditional gipsy wagon without horse stood along the way. The owner told us he had no horse without going into details but the way he looked at our pony and his general demeanor made us decide to not make camp anywhere close.

We went shopping at the supermarket and part of his family caught up with us there and while we exchanged some polite talk with them I did not like their body language. We decided to walk until it was dark and only make camp with the very last light for finding a place for the night. We avoided roads and saw them passing in the distance in a van several times. It may all have been in our heads but luckily that was the only really negative experience we had.

Several weeks and several hundred kilometres later we had our nicest traveller experience. Again we had been shopping at a supermarket and I thought I recognized two men as belonging to the traveller community that were also doing their shopping. When we were on our way out of town a van slowed down beside us and a grinning traveller passed me a bar of chocolate and a beer through the window. They immediately drove on without as much as a word to us but giving us a thumbs up while driving away.

ETA: Here I described another episode of our trip - an encounter with a ghost dog (sort of): link

edit on 9-4-2018 by MindBodySpiritComplex because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2018 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Peaky Blinders is fantastic television.

That aside...i can't input much. My family were gypsies in Hungary. Great grandfather moved to America and abandoned the gypsy culture when he did. When we came here we were just Hungarians like the rest of the bohunks here.

posted on Apr, 9 2018 @ 12:11 PM
link   

There are some Roma women in Toronto Canada begging for money, wearing head scarves and claiming to be immigrants from war torn Middle Eastern countries, with 4 children to feed and no money.

Its becoming quite a problem.

posted on Apr, 9 2018 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: hombero

Where? I'm downtown every week. I haven't seen this.

posted on Apr, 9 2018 @ 12:40 PM
link   
My grandma's family are travellers from Scotland. I know a few words of Kent, but im not supposed to share with the flatties.

When they came to Canada my grandma and her sisters told fortunes and such while they travelled across to the west coast. She's also the only person i've know who could successfully haggle at Sears.

posted on Apr, 9 2018 @ 01:28 PM
link   
This PCSO must have worked hard to gain trust.

HARI-JOSHI AWARD

This trophy was donated by Mr Hari Joshi and is awarded annually to the police officer or group of officers who have made the greatest contribution to community relations within the greater Bristol area.

PCSO Paula Perry

Paula works as the local PCSO in the Lawrence Weston area of Bristol, and over the past year Paula has driven forward our response to the local issue of fly grazing by the Travelling Community. Paula has tirelessly worked with the travelling community and other agencies to bring a complete stop to the fly grazing As a result of this work she has built a fantastic relationship with the local Travelling Community.

Paula said: “It’s a real honour to be the first PCSO to win this award. The most important part for me was making sure that we were able to apply the law to ensure that horses were safe and I worked very hard to build relationships with local animal charity’s and the council. Building trust within the travelling community wasn’t easy and now we have a very good working relationship.”
www.avonandsomerset.police.uk... ce-awards/

posted on Apr, 9 2018 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Given a lot of the things I've known over the years its simple and it got told to me by my uncle who was a copper and its simple when dealing with gypsies

1. Dont lock anything and if you have stuff thats crap leave it in there in the shed as it'll save you a trip to the skip.
2. Dont accept anything as it will be a rip off as unless you are one of them you are basically scum.
3. Never sell your pets as they quite often will use them as training fodder.

posted on Apr, 9 2018 @ 04:05 PM
link   
If you take away the cheating people out of money and eating hedgehogs, then gypsies are alright..

posted on Apr, 9 2018 @ 05:15 PM
link   
This too is a gypsy/traveler family.....

*Burglar killed by OAP was on police most wanted list*
Preying on elderly was family business.

Henry Vincent and his family made more than £1 million fleecing the
elderly and vulnerable.
The cowboy builders frog marched victims to the bank after telling
them their houses were about to fall down, using tricks such as displaying
rotten pieces of wood they had brought with them;

One 80year old woman was forced to sign over her £150,000 house.
A man of 80yrs paid his life savings for unnecessary work that was never
done
The gang even sent one victim a post card from Ibiza, where they had paid
for a holiday with their scam.

Although the families lived in council houses within a few streets of each
other they drove luxury cars including Mercedes and BMW's
The scams were led by the father and five uncles uncles. They were jailed
for a total of almost 30 years in 2003.
In 2009 Vincent (the deceased burglar) got a six year sentence after he and
his father charged a pensioner £72,000 to repair a single roof tile.
Police appealed for him as recently as January over a distraction burglary.

That 87 year old OAP was in a kill or be killed situation in his OWN HOME

with a disabled wife and where he should have been safe. Now it looks like

he won't be safe anywhere ever again.

posted on Apr, 9 2018 @ 05:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: hombero

There are some Roma women in Toronto Canada begging for money, wearing head scarves and claiming to be immigrants from war torn Middle Eastern countries, with 4 children to feed and no money.

Its becoming quite a problem.

They are everywhere. Even close to the Arctic circle. Some would sit next to a cash machine with a big laminated printed plastic sign claiming to be a refugee and desperate for money to be able to fly back home. Others played accordions and other musical instruments, which seemed fair because they were brightening up a small corner of the city.

posted on Apr, 9 2018 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Good On you, Kester.

posted on Apr, 9 2018 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Snatch seems to be a fair depiction of gypsies, travelers, pikees, etc.

Yeah, I like degs.

posted on Apr, 10 2018 @ 10:14 AM
link   

I have insulted Roma people before. I still hold some strong reservations about their future as a people. Please forgive me for that. I should be less judgemental and slow to jump on hateful bandwagons.

That said, my closest childhood friends in Europe are Gypsies. I may have a biased view since my first introduction to Gypsy culture was in Spain, and many Spanish Gypsies see the Roma as a group not beholden to their elders or their native clan system.

Roma are accepted by Spanish Gypsies, just not with open arms in many cases.

Gypsy law is by far one of the most interesting subjects IMO.

I always get along better with "Gitanos". Gypsies.

A turn off is the exclusive nature of some community affairs. As a NYer I got a pass sometimes, but gypsies that didnt know that always saw me as a distrusted outsider. Being a foreigner was better than being a native for some reason. Bad blood still lingers from the history they lived with natives I guess.

I feel Gypsy culture is worthy and should be preserved. I also think it needs to empower its people so motivating employment and education would help. As you mentioned, some leaders prefer the small pond so they can stay as big fish in it.

Currently, there are very economically strong Gypsy communities that bought homes, businesses and are moving up the socio-economic ladder in Spain.

Crime still pays for them sadly and the legitimately wealthy Gypsies cant find distinction beyond the rich criminal circles in their culture.

I hope that changes. A unified front between Gypsy groups would enrich and empower everyone. I see too much survivalism for such a climate to make sense though.

Good luck to them I say. I like Gypsies. Maybe I was one in another life.

edit on 4 10 2018 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join