It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do you think about the EM drive?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2018 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Last year China claimed that they had built an EM drive.

The Chinese Space Agency released a video (this one: www.youtube.com...), but they don't go into detail.

What do you think about it? Do you think they are just achieving insignificant amounts of thrust?

If the EM drive worked, as far as I'm concerned it could gradually achieve 9.4% the speed of light.

I recently made a video on the most plausible methods of interstellar travel (www.youtube.com...) but didn't include the EM drive as I think it is still too controversial and, well, I wanted to choose just the 5 fastest methods.

posted on Apr, 8 2018 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: alpha015

i think the chinese are full of it. the controversy is well founded. although there is a possibility something is actually happening anomolously to produce minuscule thrust. if so, then perhaps there is a missing or over looked mechanism that if they tinker with it some more and get it to really work will make for a really festive day.

there was a poster here although no longer who actually did know what the secret was to get it to really work. too bad hes not around anymore.

I'm gunna go watch your video on YouTube as I'm very interested in this subject. maybe some of your proposed methods are in line with mine.

posted on Apr, 8 2018 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I had never heard of NANOFET technology before. But if it's on the microscopic scale it works for a probe but not for transportation of humans which is the ultimate goal. Very cool regardless.

posted on Apr, 8 2018 @ 04:32 PM
link   
good video. no sensationalism. just straight up facts I too had not heard of nanoFET

posted on Apr, 8 2018 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I am going to say bullsnip too.

They steal far too much western technology for it to be true.

posted on Apr, 8 2018 @ 05:10 PM
link   
The man that managed to bring this idea to minds like ESA and NASA probably forgot that you need to be in an atmosphere for the EM drive to work. In space it will move craft in multiple direction. So pretty much the craft is haveing a seizure in space. So I am going to say that China is just saying that to scare the west.

edit on 2/19/2013 by Allaroundyou because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2018 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Allegedly nasa tried it too to some success.
Here's a link to an article about the test with links to the peer reviewed paper and inventors website at the bottom.

Space.com

I wonder how well it would scale up...
I bet the degree of precision of the resonant cavity well have allot to do with improving efficiency, just a hunch.

BTW as far as Allaroundyou's concerns about needing an atmosphere, I believe NASA tested it in a vacuum chamber successfully.

-Driver
edit on -1800032SunSun, 08 Apr 2018 20:11:57 -050011vAmerica/ChicagoSun, 08 Apr 2018 20:11:57 -0500 by Z32Driver because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2018 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Any technology that is shown to the public is old technology.a reply to: alpha015

posted on Apr, 9 2018 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Z32Driver

That's interesting. I'm gonna take a look for the white paper.
One comment in the thread says people argue that it violates Newtons 3rd law.
I was under the impression that when you get down to the quantum scale, the laws of physics begin to loose credibility.
Gonna read the paper and see what it had to offer.

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Not so fast

When shielded with mu metal the thrust nearly went away, they didn't have enough to block out the earth magnetic field, but it looks like physics has on again

NASA's 'Impossible' Space Engine Tested—Here Are the Results

new topics

top topics

join