It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump is wrong to criticize Amazon

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 01:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
a reply to: rickymouse

So then what do you propose be done?

It has gone so far already that I do not know what can be done before our economy fails. The government can call back all the money and seize everyone's stocks I suppose, that is what they have done before to start over.

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Amazon has a software development center and a fulfillment center in Michigan. If you're not paying sales tax on Amazon purchases then it's due to a decision by the state. Here in Virginia I've paid sales tax on pretty much every Amazon purchase I've made for at least a couple years now.

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler

originally posted by: rickymouse
I agree with Trump. We are loosing jobs here because of Amazon and other online companies. We used to have way more job openings around here before the big box stores and internet sales started putting businesses out of business.

If we had plenty of manufacturing jobs for people to work at, it would be fine, but we don't, too much imports.

First they changed the base of our economy from manufacturing to consumer base, they the consumer base economy is being disrupted from way too much buying on the net, this path is not even sensible, sooner or later no money will be left to buy anything with.

It isn't just Amazon, look at all the huge online stores around.

Sorry I dont buy that.

This would be like saying we should have punished ford for developing the factory assembly line, or Mahindra or John Deere for taking away agricultural jobs.

That is how the free market works. Amazon found ways to provide a product to people cheaper and more conveniently, and did so within the confines of the law.

They should not be blamed or punished for that.

Once we open that box, we now allow Presidents or government to pick winners or losers based merely on their personal prefernce.

Well, maybe our free market should be regulated to protect the economy of this country. It has been regulated all along and our economy was stable, now our economy is about as real as the stock market, it can crumble too easy.

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 01:36 PM
link   

So the government should punish a company for being successful? How is that not wealth distribution?

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Every one bitches about Wal Mart but want to give Amazon a pass lmao because Trump..

Amazon does the same shi as Walmart underpaid employees and sweat shops in China.

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 01:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: LordAhriman

If we had plenty of manufacturing jobs for people to work at, it would be fine, but we don't, too much imports.

First they changed the base of our economy from manufacturing to consumer base, they the consumer base economy is being disrupted from way too much buying on the net, this path is not even sensible, sooner or later no money will be left to buy anything with.

Horse poo. I bet there's at least 3 factory job openings for every unemployed person out there. Just in my small town of about 15k people we have 6 factories. They're all always hiring.

Where do you live, somewhere in China? There are not nearly as many manufacturing jobs left here in Michigan and the Amount in Wisconsin has dropped quite a bit. There are still small companies with less pay and benefits, but there used to be lots of good paying companies out there with great benefits years back. Maybe your young, maybe you can't see the whole picture. The jobs of people in Detroit actually helped us here, the states had more money to fix the roads because those people paid taxes. The unemployment figures now are a coverup. I remember how it was back in the sixties and seventies. Even the early eighties were good, grocery stores even supplied health insurances and paid holidays.

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 01:44 PM
link   

a reply to: Grambler

I have never paid a cent of sales tax on anything we have gotten from Amazon or most online sales places. Only if they are within Michigan and by agreement, some adjoining states do we pay sales taxes. That info you posted is not correct, it is somehow twisted to make people believe something that is not true. It actually sounds like a WaPo tactic.

Perhaps you should contact some media outlets.

I know in PA i pay them, I know people in ohio do as well.

Wikipedia says amazon pays them in michagan

Michigan

On October 1, 2015, Amazon started collecting sales tax in Michigan in accordance with a state law compelling online retailers to do so if they have a physical presence in the state.[65]

en.wikipedia.org...

Michigan's on .gov website says that amazon pays state taxes.

www.michigan.gov...

All of these articles say so as well.

www.mlive.com...

www.nolo.com...

www.wndu.com...

www.lexology.com...

www.southbendtribune.com... .html

www.michigancapitolconfidential.com...

www.washingtontimes.com...

ilsr.org...

If you are correct and this is a lie, then I feel you need to immediatly gather proof, as this is a conspiracy that has not only infilitrated consrevative people like Ben shapiros show, but alos national, local media, as well as Michagans on government website.

Not only that, but seeing as how this bill was passed in 2015 with mixed reviews, not one person that I can find has came forward to discuss this lie that has been propagated in all of these venues.

I would think this means either 1. you are mistaken, 2. a mistake was made with your order, which legally you should report and pay the sales taxes before your state tax collector comes after you, or 3. you need to contact as many media places as you can and show proof, expecially on places like ATS that will show this is one of the biggest media cover up of all time.

link   
I'll be the first to admit I haven't looked into the issue very much, that being said some of the moves being made by Amazon in recent years seem to be bringing it into a Monopoly or Trust situation. The same can be said for several other companies out there as well, just something to consider.

link   
a reply to: notsure1

Yes, people bitch about Walmart but you don't really see people, let alone the president, calling for the government to step in and hinder their ability to make a profit.

link   

So the government should punish a company for being successful? How is that not wealth distribution?

The same could be said bout dictatorships.

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 01:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler

I agree with Trump. We are loosing jobs here because of Amazon and other online companies. We used to have way more job openings around here before the big box stores and internet sales started putting businesses out of business.

It isn't just Amazon, look at all the huge online stores around.

Sorry I dont buy that.

This would be like saying we should have punished ford for developing the factory assembly line, or Mahindra or John Deere for taking away agricultural jobs.

That is how the free market works. Amazon found ways to provide a product to people cheaper and more conveniently, and did so within the confines of the law.

They should not be blamed or punished for that.

Once we open that box, we now allow Presidents or government to pick winners or losers based merely on their personal prefernce.

Well, maybe our free market should be regulated to protect the economy of this country. It has been regulated all along and our economy was stable, now our economy is about as real as the stock market, it can crumble too easy.

That is a fair argument.

If you are against free markets, and more state controlled solutuons, that is fine.

I disagreew with you however.

Might I suggest voting for people that share your concern, such as Bernie sanders or other far leftr leaning politicians that feel that the government must interefere with the market to favor certain companies.

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 01:47 PM
link   
We only have so much so at some point enough becomes enough.

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Hypntick

How so? There are plenty of other online vendors out there that provide many of the same products as Amazon. The existence and success of companies like Walmart and Target alone show that Amazon is nowhere near becoming a monopoly.

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

agreed all around.

i won't shop with amazon. but that is my own principles. Trump needs to stay out of private business matters and stick to fighting off the wild and varied accusations that dog him.

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 01:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: eNumbra
“I love the free market, except when I don’t.”

Common hypocrisy these days; Amazon is no worse than any other big company, the future rolls on, you adapt or you die.

Is it a shame mom and pop stores go out of business?
Sure is.
Trying to stop Amazon is an attempt to stifle market forces; many of the same people who likely didn’t agree with movements like occupy wall st. This is how the market works, love it, or leave it.

Absolutely agree.

You cant favor free markets when it suits you personally, then be against them when a company you dont like succeeds at them.

If people are mad about amazons success, start a movement to boycott them. Dont go to there on wal mart or whatever other store you dont like.

But as soon as you suggest the bgovernment going after companies because they are too successful or you dont like them, we open up a door to even more arbitrary forces in the market and even more divisiveness.

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Yes, people bitch about Walmart but you don't really see people, let alone the president, calling for the government to step in and hinder their ability to make a profit.

He wants them to pay more taxes.... I think a 107 million a day is good enough..

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 01:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: howtonhawky
We only have so much so at some point enough becomes enough.

But who sets the amount?

This is the same argument that was used by the Bolsheviks in Russia.

The people who owned the rural farms, the Kulaks they were called, were said to be greedy and own too much.

So they were killed or exiled.

And then millions of people starved, because it turned out those Kulaks were very smart and hard working, and were the reasons the farms were successful.

We saw that in Zimbabwe, we are about to see it in South africa.

By historical perspectives, I am guessing you are among the top 1% of the 1% ever in terms of wealth.

Even by todays standards, the fact that you have access to a computer and the time to be typing on a message border as opposed to scavanging for resources shows you are in around the top percentages of wealth

To others, you have enough, and are very greedy.

So should your wealth be capped by the government?

It always seems like everyone thinks the amount of wealth they have is perfectly acceptable and fine, its just some people above them that are dangerous and greedy and dont deserve the wealth.

As long as Bezos is not breaking the law, he, nor anyone else, should be punished for developing a product or labor that people willfully use and are willing to pay for.

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 01:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: notsure1

He wants them to pay more taxes.... I think a 107 million a day is good enough..

How much do you make a day?

I think you could easily survive on $100 a day.

So I think you should have to pay anything you make over $36500 to the government in taxes.

Why is your greed ok?

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 01:59 PM
link   

But I thought forcing corporations and the wealthy to pay more taxes is bad for the economy. Wasn't that the whole methodology behind the recent tax cut?
edit on 3/29/2018 by Xcalibur254 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Didn't trump himself once say during his campaigning that if you don't use loopholes to game the system then your a fool?

Or something to that effect?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join