It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DOJ Inspector General reviews alleged FISA abuses by DOJ, FBI

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 02:55 PM
link   
www.foxnews.com...

Justice Department Inspector General Michael Horowitz announced Wednesday he will review potential Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) abuses by both the Justice Department and the FBI, following requests from Congress and Attorney General Jeff Sessions.

So the day has come when we get an investigation into what many have called abuse of power by the former administration against its political opposition.

“The OIG will initiate a review that will examine the Justice Department’s and the Federal Bureau of Investigation’s compliance with legal requirements, and with applicable DOJ and FBI policies and procedures, in applications filed with the U.S. Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court (FISC) relating to a certain U.S. person,” the statement obtained by Fox News read. “As part of this examination, the OIG also will review information that was known to the DOJ and the FBI at the time the applications were filed from or about an alleged FBI confidential source.”

It appears the steele dossier will be a part of this investigation. Bear in mind this is the same ig from the former administration, not a trump appointee.

The OIG statement added that Horowitz will also “review the DOJ’s and FBI’s relationship and communications with the alleged source as they relate to the FISC applications.” “If circumstances warrant, the OIG will consider including other issues that may arise during the course of the review,” the statement read.

As long as this has been dragged out, I am not looking forward to another investigation; however if the usa intelligence agencies were used to spy on political opposition something has to be done to ensure this does not happen again.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 02:59 PM
link   
The House and Senate have been doing this for many months already. Oig is just Reinventing the wheel it seems. What is needed is a special counsel.

Bob Mueller was named special counsel instantly.. just because the mainstream media said that Russia colluded in some way with the Trump campaign.
edit on 3/28/2018 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 03:01 PM
link   
dailycaller.com...
this link has the statement from the office of the inspector general

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 03:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
The House and Senate have been doing this for many months already. Oig is just Reinventing the wheel it seems. What is needed is a special counsel.

I disagree.
This needs to begin with the ig. Where goes from there will be determined by what the ig finds. This needs to be done by the book.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Bob Mueller was named special counsel instantly.. just because the mainstream media said that Russia colluded in some way with the Trump campaign.

I think mueller was named sc to try and cover exactly what the ig is going to investigate, but that is only my opinion.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 03:28 PM
link   
They will continue to do things illegally, get caught, say sorry it won't happen again.
Rinse and repeat.
Never-ending cycle until someone is held accountable......soooooo it will never stop .

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Everyone should welcome investigations into FISA. The government has been spying on us for almost 2 decades. About time to throw some light on rubber-stamp spy courts.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

The wheels of Justice turn very slowly. It may take the whole 8 years of the Trump admin to get through all the investigations, and hopefully they eventually get them all.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Why cant Sessions just come out and reiterate that the documents requested arent optional, its an order to turn them over.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 04:27 PM
link   
So we are back to Nunes favorite subject? Didnt even Gowdy say that the whole FISA scandal that Nunes has been pushing isnt correct?

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pyle
Didnt even Gowdy say that the whole FISA scandal that Nunes has been pushing isnt correct?

No.

I have seen gowdy say he was very cconcerned about what he read about the fisa scandal.

But I will gladly look at your source that says otherwise
edit on 28-3-2018 by Grambler because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Well it only seems fair to have investigations into BOTH sides of the political mud-pit. It is about time we looked into Obama Regime corruption and ensure no one can do it in the future.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Excellent

Michael Horowitz is an effective and powerful presence, and will expose any unlawful activity he comes across. With a straight face, too

edit on 3/28/2018 by JBurns because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: JBurns

he only needs to be honest and thorough

the ground he is on is well tread so perhaps this wont take years

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 08:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pyle
So we are back to Nunes favorite subject? Didnt even Gowdy say that the whole FISA scandal that Nunes has been pushing isnt correct?

This has nothing to do with Nunes.
Apparently you think FISA warrants are playthings?

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 09:45 AM
link   

This will be an interesting to watch, for sure, both to see how thorough the investigation actually is, and also what it concludes. I think to most thinking Americans, there was obvious FISA abuse, but if the investigation yields negative results (that there were no abuses), it really should bring into question the existence of the FISA court at all.

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Here is a serious question I have.

I have long been of the opinion that the IG's current investigation was merely on how the FBI handled the Hillary case, not the trump one.

Isnt this an admission that he is now going to start looking at the trump investigation, meaning he hasnt been looking at it up to this point?

Wouldnt that also mean that his report due out in the next mnth will probably not say much either way about how the FBI acted in the trump investigation?

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Right, with all the investigations and hysteria by the Dems it's only far to hold up a mirror to them.a reply to: Metallicus

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 10:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

This will be an interesting to watch, for sure, both to see how thorough the investigation actually is, and also what it concludes. I think to most thinking Americans, there was obvious FISA abuse, but if the investigation yields negative results (that there were no abuses), it really should bring into question the existence of the FISA court at all.

My opinion is that there was fisa abuse. I hope the rubber stamp is taken away and those applications are treated with the importance they deserve. In my opinion the 4th amendment started dying with the patriot act and led to where we are today.

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 10:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler
Here is a serious question I have.

I have long been of the opinion that the IG's current investigation was merely on how the FBI handled the Hillary case, not the trump one.

Isnt this an admission that he is now going to start looking at the trump investigation, meaning he hasnt been looking at it up to this point?

Wouldnt that also mean that his report due out in the next mnth will probably not say much either way about how the FBI acted in the trump investigation?

My understanding is the ig only works on what is recommended to the ig. While individual politicians and others have been screaming about the suspected abuses, I do not remember any of this sent to the ig. I do think the ig is the proper avenue for this to begin, and sessions and his lot need to follow ALL the rules on this one.
The upcoming ig report that resulted in people being removed from their jobs was on the clinton email investigation. So we have not heard from the ig in any way about the fisa stuff yet.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join