It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australian Cricket Cheats ( And Sandpaper ) Banned.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 08:00 AM
link   
In a recent Test Cricket match between South Africa and Australia, Australian cricket players where caught " ball tampering "

Cricket Australia have now banned Captain Steve Smith and vice captain David Warner for 12 months. Cameron Bancroft who carried out the cheating has been banned for 9 months. They have also been sent home from The South African Tour.

Even after being caught, Smith claimed they where using sticky tape to alter the ball. It has now been found it was actually sandpaper.

This couldn't have happened to nicer people. Warner is one of the most unlike players in world cricket. Warner even accused the South Africans of ball tampering in 2016. It has come back to bite his arse.

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 08:32 AM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

I used to play cricket a bit when I was a nipper.

I cannot say that I follow the game on television anymore, since there will always be better things to do in life than watching other people have fun. But in all the time I have known the game, I have never known a player to tamper with the ball using sandpaper, so this is the first I have heard of such a practice being used. Its also known that fingernails, a bottle cap in the pocket, anything that might abrade the surface of one half of the ball, will affect its trajectory as a result of the difference in smoothness on one side of the ball. This difference creates more drag on one side of the ball than the other, more resistance through the air, which causes the ball to appear to change direction in flight.

But this effect is possible to pull off quite handily, without using illegal methods to tamper with the ball. One of the questions which is often asked by people unfamiliar with the game, is why bowlers will often rub the ball against themselves. This is done by a bowler looking to impart swing to the balls trajectory. Just making one side of the ball drier and cleaner, by rubbing it on ones trousers, is enough for a skilled bowler, because a skilled bowler can exploit even the slightest differential, whether it is the condition of the ball, the condition of the pitch, or the specific weakness of the batsman he is bowling at. Rubbing the ball against ones clothes is not in the least a suspicious act, its a recognised part of the game, and does no damage to the ball whatsoever. But deliberately damaging the ball, speeding up the wear process by way of nefarious items, hidden about ones person, is an utterly ungentlemanly, unsporting, and entirely unacceptable violation of not only the rules of the game, but also an indicator of weak character, in my opinion.

I think the players involved in this scandal need to remember that there is only one good reason to play cricket. It is not to win, it is not to become famous, or maintain a level of fame. It is not to heap glory about oneself, or get one over on an old rival. The primary, the only good reason to play the game is that you love doing it. If everyone thought that way about it, no one would want to cheat, because it would cheapen the experience for them, as well as everyone else.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 08:37 AM
link   

I am so made at our lads. So very very very mad and disappointed. This is up there with doping. And match fixing.

Can we just have Boonie back?

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 09:03 AM
link   

As a South African with great respect for the Aussie cricketers, this was deeply disappointing. I just hope the SA crowds can now leave them alone to play the final match in peace because, lets face it, we are not exactly innocent either.
I love you crazy Aussies, now let's play cricket!
edit on 28/3/2018 by deltaalphanovember because: because

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Ball tampering is part of cricket, has been for decades
Getting caught is the only mistake the Aussies made

For getting caught, they deserve their comeuppance,silly silly boys

Of course it's wrong, but....

Nobody seemed to complain much when the South African captain rubbed the ball on the zip in his pants all day
What do you need a zip in your cricket pants for
Designed to cheat?
edit on 28-3-2018 by Raggedyman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

really - so cheating is ok if you dont get caught

for anyone else reading - check out this members past posts - it puts my reply in context ]

Of course it's wrong, but...

but what ??????????????????????????

come on - but what - EXACTLY ?????

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I despise cheats in cricket, there have been too many over the years.

There is always something- match fixing, sledging, claiming catches that haven’t carried, roughing up the pitch.

It’s ball tampering that annoys me the most pretending it’s the skill of the player when really it’s just cheating. They’ve tried hair gel, zinc powder, sun cream or sweeties to alter the weight of one side of the ball. Abrasive paste rubbed into ‘strapping’, sand paper or throwing the ball in on the bounce (actually don’t care about that one).

Biggest cheat of them all for me was Shahid ‘boom boom’ Afridi. Pirouetting on the pitch to gain an advantage during a suspected terror attack or biting chunks out of the ball and claiming he was sniffing it to judge the condition. Thoroughly hateful cheat of a man - I have never cheered as long and loud as I did at T20 finals last year when he was out first ball. God I love the party stand!

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Australian cricketers will cop hell over this for years to come.

Trevor Chappel who bowled the infamous under arm ball to the Kiwis, is still copping it 35 years later.
That was a legal bowl but deemed un-sportsman like.

This will will hang around Aussie cricket like a bad smell for years ! Sad days indeed.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 08:30 PM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

Oh dear
Ignorant ape, how fitting

Before you have another tantrum,

But what? Here's what, It can't be stopped
It's a fact.

Please don't be to upset but, they all cheat, every team diddums, weather I like it or not, cheating is common practice my ignoranting friend
As dr Bob said, they use everything to change the balls condition

So let me reiterate so you don't wet your pants crying, being all butt hurt to much over my opinion, yes my opinion, little ol me has an opinion that you don't agree with and you are all put out by, just a little Scarlet OHara arnt you

Of course it's wrong but....it can't be stopped, if one person is going to be held accountable for this action then every other player must also be scrutinised
We have seen so many times players illegally interfere with the ball and there has been no ramifications
Either make it common practice or crack down

That's what

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 10:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman

There's more to it than that..

After BanCroft was told he was caught.. he tried to hide the evidence down his pants.
Then, he lied to the umpires when they asked him about it.

Thats a big no no, if you are caught.. own up.. take your punishment.. but lie to the umps and try to hide the evidence.. thats really bad.

As for Warner, he's been a toxic entity for a long time - Smith.. what an idiot.. he'll for ever be remembered for this.. he might not have been the brains behind it, but as captain you have a duty to discourage it and ensure it doesn't happen. He knew about it and gave his OK

Australian Cricket players have been arrogant, immature pigs for a while - all they care about is their hairstyles and TV spots... can the whole team and start again

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 11:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Agit8dChop

Really?
Have I argued the stupidity of the players, their arrogance, really?
Don't remember doing that
In fact I don't think I have done that

In fact I said they should take their comeuppance, those were my words cowboy
See cheating is lying
Learn to comprehend English, it's not tough a language
edit on 28-3-2018 by Raggedyman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 01:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

no need to be hostile, i was replying to this:

that wasn't the only mistake, they tried to hide the evidence of cheating and lied to the umpires - thats where Australian's have taken the pain... cheatings bad enough, but lying and covering it up?

#nottheaustralianway

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 03:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Agit8dChop

Let's be clear, it's unacceptable, but...

Ball tampering is cricket at all levels and it is a reality
Stamp it out altogether, not just the dummies who get caught and admit it

I have seen it done at international level before and the players have just lied about it and gotten away with it
If you havnt, I recon you have never watched cricket

My opinion, at least the Aussies owned up in the end

My apologies if I overreacted, probably because of other posters, not an excuse, cheers

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 03:17 AM
link   
When we play back in the days in sri lanka, every now and then we check balls. It was in the 90s. Ball tempering is old as cricket.

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Cheating cheating barstewards....
I hope the good people of Australia puts them in some stocks and parade them through every town city and creek.

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 03:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Pandaram

You are correct.

Back in tbe day there was a box of balls available from similarly worked balls ie. 20, 40 or 50 overs vintage.

If a Captain complained about ball condition he was offered his choice of an alternative ball from the Appropriate box.

This should say plenty as a Captain is always monitoring ball condition ... or should be.

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 03:58 AM
link   
a reply to: testingtesting

Smith was in tears doing a tv interview just minutes ago.

He was humble and shamed.
These guys are in danger of mental anguish and worse.

They have fronted the Australian public on national TV.
They made their remorse .. Clear .

How much more do we need to make them ( and their families by default ) pay ?

Remind Captains that there is a box of balls ..
😎

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 04:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Timely

Boo Hoo they are only unhappy they were caught would they have admitted they cheated and go on TV if not caught? nope.
I hate cheats they owe every cricket fan in Australia a pint.....and maybe then I will forgive them.

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 04:23 AM
link   
a reply to: testingtesting

You are correct but they owe us a jug.

Don't worry. These blokes are on the Aussie most hated list.
We grow up with that sport and it produces heroes.

To be confronted with this and the severity of repercussions makes it a national shame.

We do not like to be shamed by those entrusted with positions of cultural importance - I hear is rated alongside the PM !
edit on 29-3-2018 by Timely because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 04:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Timely

I suspected when it happened that this was Warner’s plan, Smith too soft to stop him and Bancroft too new and eager to please to say no.

I hope that fact comes out one day. I actually feel for Smith, it’s very much out of his character from what I’ve heard.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join