It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA delays next-generation space telescope until 2020

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 04:58 PM
link   
This 2015 illustration provided by Northrop Grumman via NASA shows the James Webb Space Telescope.

NASA is delaying the launch of its next-generation space telescope—its highest science priority—until at least 2020.

Top officials said Tuesday that more time is needed to assemble and test the James Webb Space Telescope, which is considered a successor to the long-orbiting Hubble Space Telescope.

"Simply put, we have one shot to get this right before going into space," explained Thomas Zurbuchen, NASA's associate administrator of science.

NASA and its partner, the European Space Agency, will firm up a new launch date, now tentatively targeted for May 2020 from French Guiana. An independent review board is being formed to look into the remaining work and feasible launch dates.

"You've heard this before, but it rings true for us. Really, failure is not an option," Zurbuchen told reporters in a teleconference.

Once a date is actually set, NASA said it will provide a new cost estimate. Officials acknowledge the cost may exceed the $8 billion development cap set by Congress. NASA already has poured $7.3 billion into the telescope, said Acting Administrator Robert Lightfoot. He promised Congress would receive a detailed report on schedule and cost this summer.

Not again

But I'm pretty sure it's gonna worth all the waiting. There's a whole universe out there to be seen and the JWST will show us, once again, how tiny we are.

Full article: phys.org

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 05:41 PM
link   
The fumbled the lens polishing on the first one, and it was an embarrassment it didnt have a picture when they got it up there. Luckily they were able to rebuild some computer type components that were able to correct it. Extra space walk on his sheet for whats his name. Only then it was the coolest thing / best time machine ever.

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Bummer, I've been looking forward to this for a couple years now.

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Interesting news but not quite unexpected as vinifalou points out. Failure is not an option. The scope is expected to assist with the hunt for life on other worlds by scanning the edges of target planets passing in front of their primary stars. Spectormetric analysis will reveal the contents of the planets atmosphere and whether nitrogen, methane, carbon dioxide and oxygen are present. If so this would clearly indicate a possibly habitable world as we know it. My best,

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Every time I read something about the JWT, I always start to wonder how many people nowadays even know who James Webb was. I always thought of him in as one of those "Right man in the right place at the right time" kind of guys, which he definitely seemed to be.

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 10:17 PM
link   
This is fine, but when will we get the Charlotte’s Web Space Telescope (CWST)?

posted on Apr, 1 2018 @ 07:00 AM
link   
a reply to: vinifalou

Are we nearly there yet ? , are we nearly there yet ? , are we nearly there yet ?

This is a frustrating but not totally unexpected announcement , it's always just around the corner but still we wait for the instrument that will help revolutionise our exploration of the Universe to get put into place , May 2020 is just another painfully long wait in a succession of painfully long waits , so disappointing !

Who knows when or even if it will ever launch but I'm sure if the political will was there to make it happen it would likely have launched years ago and we'd be reaping the scientific and public interest rewards.

I'm not angry , just very disappointed.

edit on 1-4-2018 by gortex because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join