It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saudi F-15 hit by Converted AAM SAM

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: anzha
a reply to: intrptr

Like it was a "Saudi" F15, too.

Proof(?) isn't because you say so.

Because the Saudis say so.

They don't need American pilots.

Logistics, weapons, inflight refueling, intel, all provided by the US.

Hiding behind the "Facade" of Saud, as usual.

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 03:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

I suppose the Houthis developed and built all their weapons from the ground up?

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 04:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: face23785

They are defending their homeland, from the ground up.
edit on 22-3-2018 by intrptr because: additional

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 04:19 PM
link   
One little piss ant shoulder launched missile?

Meanwhile, the rest of NATO countries continue to provide heavy assault arms to the Saudis, including hundreds of LAVs mounted with 105 mm cannon and 30 mm chain gun. Article content from yesterday...

Justin Trudeau has defended his government’s decision to sign off on the sale of more than 900 armoured vehicles – including dozens described as “heavy assault” and equipped with cannons – to Saudi Arabia, arguing that the deal is in line with Canada’s foreign and defence policies.

---

The initial order was for hundreds of light armoured vehicles, including 119 described as “heavy assault” with 105-millimetre cannons. Another 119 of the vehicles were configured as “anti-tank” while 119 featured a two-man turret and 30mm chain gun and were designated as “direct fire” support.

The agreement may have been modified since it was drawn up in 2014, the CBC noted. Delivery of the vehicles was slated to begin in 2017.

theguardian

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 04:25 PM
link   

The Saudis recently starting buying a lot more european kit. They've started buying CHINESE equipment.

How does that fit in your world?

edit on 22-3-2018 by anzha because: clarified they

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 04:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: face23785

They are defending their homeland, from the ground up.

Iran?

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Reports that Houthi rebels had turned seized Russian made air-to-air missiles into improvised surface-to-air missiles have been circulating for months. An attack on a Saudi F-15 in January that was filmed by a commandeered FLIR turret was claimed to have been executed using one of these missiles. Now it seems we have definitive proof that these weapons are indeed being put to use in Yemen and in an effective manner.

www.thedrive.com...

Calling this a ghetto sam is just obnoxious. We have converted Sidewinders in the past to SAMs.

It makes you wonder how long until there is a radar based AAW SAM conversion.

A Royal Saudi Air Force (RSAF) F-15 multirole fighter was “intercepted” by a surface-to-air missile (SAM) while flying over northern Yemen on 21 March, but managed to complete its mission, Colonel Turki al-Maliki, the spokesman for the Saudi-led coalition, said later that day.

The Saudi Press Agency cited Col Maliki as saying the missile was launched from Sadah airport at 1548 h local time (1245 GMT), but the F-15 was able to “deal with the source of fire and return safe to base”.

www.janes.com...

The F-15 STILL got home.

Tough birds F-15s are...

Amazing post, yet has garnered very little attention shockingly

This really goes to show how a dedicated threat force is capable of working with what they got to make effective weapons as dictated by current tactical needs

I wonder if/when the S300/S400 systems will start showing up

EDIT: Glad to see the F-15 made it out. I never enjoy seeing these beautiful birds shot down, regardless of what flag they may be flying at the time. Marvelous peices of engineering and technology

The Saudi's no doubt balked at the cost ratio between these modified missiles and their F-15's

edit on 3/22/2018 by JBurns because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 05:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: RadioRobert

originally posted by: gariac
a reply to: anzha

Note how you can't see the launch site. Vehicle launched?

Pic from link.

Alamo is in the Sparrow weight class, so probably 500'ish pounds. Little too big for lugging around.

I figured it wasn't shoulder launched, but I was wondering if you can launch it from a "technical". Or does it need an inclined tube to shoot out? They obviously are trying to make recon difficult.

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 08:02 PM
link   
a reply to: gariac

Couple technicles looks like. One with the AAM/SAM and the other with a genny. No tube visible in the pic I saw, but I imagine a tarp over the back of a flatbed isn't particularly difficult.

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 08:19 PM
link   
It's not going to come out of a "tube" of any sort with those control fins sticking out. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if they weren't launched from jury rigging the missile rails, maybe even the whole pylon/rails themselves from the MiG-29's, mounted somehow in the bed of a truck or a "technical"...

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 08:43 PM
link   

The Saudis recently starting buying a lot more european kit. They've started buying CHINESE equipment.

How does that fit in your world?

More deflection form you,

The biggest suppler of arms to the Kingdom of suds is uS.

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 08:46 PM
link   

That has been. It is changing. The UCAVs the Saudis are using are Chinese. They are buying Euro fighters. etc.

Dude. Historically, you are correct. Times are a changin.

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Like I been saying all along, Us kit is obsolete.

Thanks anyway for Finally agreeing with me.

Was that so difficult?

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 10:23 PM
link   

oh god. I never said that. There are more reasons to change kit than JUST obsolescence.

If the US is becoming less and less friendly, over time, then it is in the Saudi's interests to diversify their supplies.

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 09:12 AM
link   

oh god. I never said that. There are more reasons to change kit than JUST obsolescence.

If the US is becoming less and less friendly, over time, then it is in the Saudi's interests to diversify their supplies.

'Bombs for Peace' .

Right.

I see your Super Dreadnaught craft carrier strike group. thousands of personnel, dozens of aircraft, tons of ordnance, fuel, sailing time to arrive in theatre, cover flight deck with fueled and loaded planes, turn into the wind, launch, arrive over target, pickle strike 'package'...

and raise you...

one hypersonic sea skimming cruise missile.

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Great, so I look forward to you dropping your mock horror at the US exporting worthless weaponry or "threatening" other nations with all their obsolete carriers.

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 10:06 AM
link   

What in the world are you talking about?

The Saudis have no need for a carrier. Their rivals, the Iranians, don't have hypersonic missiles.

The Russians are still testing their hypersonic missiles. As in first flight for anything other than the boost glide weapons on a ballistic missile.

And I hope you realize, at least for the next two generations, perhaps three, that the words 'sea skimming' and 'hypersonic' will not be possible in the same missile. The heat load alone would melt the sucker down. Hypersonics are high fliers for a reason.

But then, if you have a citable source. I'm perfectly willing to stand corrected. You do have one, right?

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 10:43 AM
link   

What in the world are you talking about?

I 'simply' compared all the money, resources, manpower and time it takes for the US to get one bomb on target overseas to say, the Russians, who launched their cruise missiles from as far away as the Caspian Sea to do the same damn thing.

One carrier strike group costing billions, or one cruise missile.

If thats not simple enough for the big big National -istic pride of warmongers, let me know.

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 10:45 AM
link   

And I can compare a the cost of a MW class laser beam to that missile.

laser wins.

But, the question remains, does this missile exist?

Cite, please.

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 11:03 AM
link   

And I can compare a the cost of a MW class laser beam to that missile.

laser wins.

Russian cruise missile hit their targets... laser loses

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join