It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video games do NOT lead to violence. Period.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I played nothing but those and racing games. Aside from a few speeding tickets, I have never sought to own a firearm nor have I ever conceived a thought of shooting people for any reason. I think humans are naturally violent and programmed for war. It's our concept of what we want society to look like that makes us gasp at the nature of some and what they are capable of doing.

I have news for you. The Vikings did not play COD.

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 09:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: whywhynot
a reply to: Iconic

Yes I did read the entire article and yes I do employ critical thought and have probably for longer than you have lived.

Probably not much rape and torture, although it makes me wonder how they think they can move on to that if it doesn’t exist, but a large number of the video games use extereme violence, constant killing and mayhem to keep their users engaged.

The article specifically states that only adults were tested and without extremes such as rape and torture.

I’m simply saying that the study will not be complete until it is tested on the age group that actually plays it the most with the actual games that they play.

It’s not a period face it, it a work in progress.

psychcentral.com...

READ THIS.

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 09:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

originally posted by: Iconic
When violent video games came out on to the market, there has been a steady decline in violent crime since.

Don't stop there. While American gun sales were booming, firearm crime in the US dropped tremendously. Over the same period movies and music got more violent, yet violence itself was declining. Yet you take America's murder capitals and can see they are, not coincidentally, also among the most stringent firearm restrictive communities in the country.

Bottom line, LIBERALS are the problem. Not entertainment, not tools, it's environment and people.

FTFY

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 09:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

I just recently moved to Whitefish about 6 months ago. Montana is a beautiful state, wish I had moved sooner.

Just thought it was cool to hear there are others out here that visit ATS, it being the least populated of the states and all.

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Okay, yeah, do you have any kids. I have 7. Last 2 love their violent videos especially when they are killings cops, ambulance people, welfare, fire brigade and anyone else that step in the way of them achieving crime stats. One of them now is contemplating suicide.

Now, I don't advocate this violence and self harm. I shut the internet down. The last 2 living at home have become the most antisocial, violent and self harming kids I know. Give me some cred. Its the internet. No respect for human life.

Perhaps educate me as a father that real life deserves living and not shooting up cops and slashing your wrists. For crying out aloud. One life is worth saving as opposed to the internet where living normal is just getting dusted.

Perhaps you'd like to be one of the people that my child snuffs. Or in the case of the other, getting wasted so they can waste others. It's all educational on the net. Ohh! To snuff the net while they are swearing and cussing only inflames the hurt they direct to me and their beautiful mother. Stuff the internet and its games.

kind regards,

bally

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 09:55 PM
link   
DP

kind regards,

bally

edit on 20-3-2018 by bally001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 09:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
a reply to: Lumenari

I just recently moved to Whitefish about 6 months ago. Montana is a beautiful state, wish I had moved sooner.

Just thought it was cool to hear there are others out here that visit ATS, it being the least populated of the states and all.

Sweety, most of Montana is on ATS... LOL

It's how we get our news.

And welcome the the last best place!

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 10:04 PM
link   

This idea is to me both insulting to children, saying they can't tell the difference between real and make believe, and to parents. As if parents don't teach their children right from wrong.

Old man logic is what I call it.

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 10:06 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

Thanks I read it. The study seems pretty narrow as the individuals were only interviewed twice in twelve months. It doesn’t mention a control group.

From your link:

The potential negative effects of violent video games on adolescent antisocial behavior, and youth violence in particular, is a highly debated issue, both in academic circles and among the general public and policy makers. However, to date, the research is inconclusive largely due to methodological problems (emphasis added) Ferguson recruited 302 mainly Hispanic youth between the ages of 10 and 14 years, from a small Hispanic-majority city population on the border of Mexico, as part of a larger study of youth violence. They were interviewed twice – once at the start of the study and again 12 months later.

edit on 20-3-2018 by whywhynot because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 10:07 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Bottom line, people are the problem. Not entertainment, not tools, it's environment and people.

This will always be true, so long as we are human.

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 10:10 PM
link   
From your first science daily article listed.

"Further study is now needed into other aspects of realism to see if this has the same result. What happens when we consider the realism of by-standing characters in the game, for example, and the inclusion of extreme content, such as torture?

"We also only tested these theories on adults, so more work is needed to understand whether a different effect is evident in children players."

Video games with interaction can lead to depersonalization and derealization disorders in some people. Now this is just maybe one in a hundred people in the country that are susceptible. And not all of these people will be violent. But it could fuel some people to take action because they are depersonalized. They purposely depersonalize soldiers in the Army so they will kill when needed.

dyego.info...

Some medications also cause depersonalization and derealization in people. A lot of people take those medicines but they usually do not cause people to do stuff like this very often. But even a hundred people who become messed up on these medications, a very small percentage, can do a lot of damage.

There are multiple things in our society that are causing this problem, extremely violent interacting video games are just a part of this. Many of the research done on this subject do not utilize virtual reality video games where you pick your avatar and you put yourself in their shoes. Evidence is not being created properly when funded by the companies and people who believe they are completely harmless. It is that way with a lot of scientific research.

Depersonalization and derealization disorders are more evident in addicted video game players, they begin to need stimulation to feel right and this can lead to a high by actually doing a crime. And depression or anxiety if you do not get stimulated enough.

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Does this incident sound like a video game....maybe donkey Kong or something?

www.miningjournal.net...

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 10:38 PM
link   
a reply to: [post=23247881]rickymouse[/post

I can't tell if your being serious or not.

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 10:51 PM
link   
a reply to: bally001

Have you asked your kids why they are doing those things?

If yes, then what did they tell you was their issues?
Did they tell you it was because of the games?

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 11:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep
a reply to: bally001

Have you asked your kids why they are doing those things?

If yes, then what did they tell you was their issues?
Did they tell you it was because of the games?

I didn't let my youngest daughter play much video games, My oldest daughter lived with my ex, but when she was here she was not allowed to play them either. My youngest daughter did play a game where she built a city and park with businesses. She also played video games on the Commodor, they were not violent.

No issues with either daughter, the young one owns a business and employs maybe thirty to forty people, the oldest one is a live at home mom, her kids play violent video games. I can tell by talking to them that I will never teach them to shoot, both boys are wreckless with even toy guns, shooting disks at each other and some sort of darts with no tips, they do not even wear the goggles they are supposed to wear. I have to pass on my guns, I am probably not giving them a gun, my brothers son also is not responsible. He played too much video games too. I doubt if any of these kids would go out and shoot anyone purposely, but they would be extremely hard to get to be safe with a gun. Their instinct is to just swing the gun around, that could be dangerous with a real gun.

So, from first hand knowing lots of kids who have played a lot of violent video games, I definitely see that these people are not safe with a gun, mostly in that they are wreckless. They cannot properly comprehend that they can easily hurt someone by accident. My youngest daughter will probably get all my guns and she can take care of distributing them. Most of my guns have been in my family for at least three generations.

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 11:25 PM
link   

You added the term period to your title, It’s not so period. Better do testing on the ones that are playing those games, kids.

Kids aren't allowed to play those games. ESRB ratings.

Demographics. As of 2016, the average age for a video game player is 35, a number slowly increasing as people who were children playing the first arcade, console and home computer games continue playing now on current systems.

Its okay to be out of touch, gramps.

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 11:56 PM
link   
This argument is about as dumb as the idea that guns themselves cause people to be violent.

They've been blaming video games since Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat.
edit on 20 3 18 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 12:45 AM
link   
I find it quite appropriate that this is in a political forum.

Because the desperation you can smell from those insisting violent gaming has no negative impact on youth is the result of their incessant, obsessive anti-gun agenda--it's not because our culture is totally f# up that people are massacring each other on a weekly basis, no, the problem is the inanimate object they use to do it.

They're desperate to take any and all crticism off of our messed up society they created and instead focus on the stupid guns.

Yes, your f# up video games are messing our kids up. Your f# up movies are messing our kids up. Your f# up music is messing our kids up. Your psychotic doctors are messing our kids up.

Nope. Nothing to see here, move along. It's the guns.

Retards.

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 12:54 AM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

It's all of the above, all pieces of the puzzle.

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 01:09 AM
link   

You added the term period to your title, It’s not so period. Better do testing on the ones that are playing those games, kids.

So they did, decades ago.

There was a famous study that concluded that violence in TV, games etc increases violence in kids. The reason why this study is famous is because in physiology it is used as an example that correlation does not lead to causation. There was this big uproar and then it was discovered that violent events attract naturally violent people, so in this case the correlation was skewed due to a larger percentage of naturally violent people that were also attracted to TV/Game violence. The typical person of sound mind can distinguish between real and fantasy, and the naturally violent person tends to be violent without what we deem stimulus non-reality, This is not some new study of observation.

edit on 21-3-2018 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join