It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Self-driving Uber car kills Arizona woman crossing street

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 06:14 PM
link   

An Uber self-driving car hit and killed a woman crossing the street in Arizona, police said on Monday, marking the first fatality caused by an autonomous vehicle and a potential blow to the technology expected to transform transportation.

Self-driving Uber car kills Arizona woman crossing street

It used to be that car makers would spend several years and millions of dollars crashing and testing vehicles to make sure their occupants are safe in the worst conditions. Yesterday (Sunday March 18th), a woman in Arizona lost her life when a driver-less Uber car couldn’t tell a person was in the street and ran her down. Apparently, she was not in the crosswalk but that doesn’t justify a death sentence.

I’m not against autonomous vehicles. They’re coming whether we like it or not. But, it seems there are a lot of manufacturers that are very anxious to get the technology done and dusted. It looks like the engineers are learning what to plan for not by experimenting or testing diligently but by putting cars on the road and see what happens.

So the next time you cross the street, don’t assume there’s a human behind the wheel of that car you’re trying to beat. You better be prepared for a two-ton machine coming at you guided by software that’s about 10 years ahead of being ready for common use.

They used to use crash test dummies. Who knew? We are now the dummies!

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 06:17 PM
link   
there's a thread made earlier matey

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 06:25 PM
link   
a reply to: auroraaus

Thanks Auroraaus. ATS search sux! I searched "autonomous" and didn't come up with anything.

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: LogicalGraphitti
a reply to: auroraaus

Thanks Auroraaus. ATS search leaves a lot to be desired I searched "autonomous" and didn't come up with anything.
edit on 3-19-2018 by LogicalGraphitti because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-19-2018 by LogicalGraphitti because: Fix formatting

edit on 3-19-2018 by LogicalGraphitti because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 06:29 PM
link   
a reply to: LogicalGraphitti

For the record while it was indeed in autonomous mode there was an occupant/controller/driver in the car wasn't there. Kind of makes it even worse if you ask me. If nothing else they might need a readily identifiable signal to other cars and pedestrians that this is a driverless car. Maybe have the Lost in Space robot on the roof shouting "Danger Will Robinson". 2 things software is always glitchy, but this time it's not a computer crashing.

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 06:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6

For the record while it was indeed in autonomous mode there was an occupant/controller/driver in the car wasn't there. Kind of makes it even worse if you ask me.

If I'm riding in an autonomous car, I doubt I'll be paying attention to the road but, you're right, if someone is riding, they should be able to intervene.

If nothing else they might need a readily identifiable signal to other cars and pedestrians that this is a driverless car. Maybe have the Lost in Space robot on the roof shouting "Danger Will Robinson". 2 things software is always glitchy, but this time it's not a computer crashing.

LOL! I'm afraid what will happen is that government will get involved and impose standards. The auto Industry would be smart to try and work this out for themselves first.

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 07:07 PM
link   
I hope it wasn't the T100 model of Self Driving Car...you know made by Teledyne Industries...just saying.

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Walk in front of a car jaywalking and you win stupid prizes along with the Darwin Award.

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 07:09 PM
link   

So Exactly Who gets Sued here , The Owner of the Car , or the AI Car itself ? .........To Bad Johnny Cochran is Dead Now , eh ?

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 07:10 PM
link   

don't get me started on the search function!

a tip i've learned to use as well, is clicking the leaf icon that says new next to it, and scrolling through and seeing if it's been posted recently (minutes/hours/sometimes days depending).

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 07:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheLotLizard
Walk in front of a car jaywalking and you win stupid prizes along with the Darwin Award.

What if it was a child or a dog? The point is, things happen at random. The solution may be to fence off all roads so nothing can get in the way.

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 07:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: auroraaus

don't get me started on the search function!

a tip i've learned to use as well, is clicking the leaf icon that says new next to it, and scrolling through and seeing if it's been posted recently (minutes/hours/sometimes days depending).

That's great! I'll use that from now on

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I saw that congress wants to make the companies free from liability for incidents like these.

Big business and their lackeys are pure evil.

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: CB328

Sorry , but the OWNER is Responsible for ANY Death Caused by a Technology Controlled Vehicle According to Present Laws .

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 07:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: openyourmind1262
I hope it wasn't the T100 model of Self Driving Car...you know made by Teledyne Industries...just saying.

cyberdyne

and more likely

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 07:40 PM
link   
These things are probablty still safer than human drivers.

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 07:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
These things are probablty still safer than human drivers.

Myself Not Included Son ...........)

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Zanti Misfit

Yet.

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 08:30 PM
link   

So the next time you cross the street, don’t assume there’s a human behind the wheel of that car you’re trying to beat.

I *never* assume a human is behind the wheel, as everyone turns into a bloodlusted animal when they get in a car....

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 08:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: LogicalGraphitti

originally posted by: TheLotLizard

What if it was a child or a dog? The point is, things happen at random. The solution may be to fence off all roads so nothing can get in the way.

Darwin will just build a better idiot. Don't under estimate the stupidity of man. You can fence off roads and some idiot will still figure out how to walk in traffic by jumping over the fence. Don't believe me? Go over to liveleak and look at videos of people getting hit by trains AFTER the barrier was put down to stop them from crossing.

Without knowing all the details, we don't know if this accident was a failure of the autonomous driving or a person just running out in the street.

The biggest issue with the driverless cars imho is that humans are not predictable and we don't always follow the rules of the road. I don't see the tech being anywhere near where close to being able to really drive on city streets with unpredictable drivers and pedestrians doing stupid sh*t. A human driver will notice the idiot not keeping a consistent speed and figure out they are yapping on a phone. Or notice a person walking while texting and they might not be paying attention to a cross walk. Or notice that a driver might jut out behind a line of cars because they are impatient.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join