It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America the Land of the Free for All

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 01:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight
WTF I didn't know you could reserve car spots with your physical body

Here in Chicago, we have this thing called "dibs" during the winter where people will reserve parking spaces on the street after a heavy snow. People dig their car out of the snow and then put a chair, old baby stroller, bucket or anything to essentially mark the spot as reserved. The thinking is that it could take someone up to 30 minutes to dig their car out of the snow and so it is unfair that when they move their car that someone else would take the spot after not doing the work to clear the snow.

Chicago Parking Dibs

i know that pain well. but why not do as most smart people do? and that is to park your car all ready to back into the spot. that way once you have dug your spot out, you can just back into it? one year i must have shoveled about half of two blocks to park in. this after a big storm where they never did plow the side streets.

but seriously it really bugs me when idiots do this type of thing. sending a "runner" out to secure parking spaces they are not even close to. you should be allowed and encouraged to just run such people over if they don't move out of your way.
edit on 13-3-2018 by generik because: ok where did the entire post disapear to?

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 01:59 AM
link   
a reply to: generik

ok that is weird, not only did my entire post disappear, but so did the post i was replying to. and editing did not help, and did not show either.

but seriously these people tick me off. sending a runner to block off a spot their car is not even near. you should be allowed, and even encouraged to run them over if they do not move out of your way.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 01:59 AM
link   

and now i get a double post. is there some sort of issue on ATS right now?

edit on 13-3-2018 by generik because: dbl post

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 02:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: generik

and now i get a double post. is there some sort of issue on ATS right now?

Someone rude prick reserved your post, they were waiting for their friends to post and called dibs.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 04:40 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

hahahaha - I wouldn't run some one over holding a spot in a car park, but I would give you a virus if you reserved a spot on ATS and held up my ranting

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 05:02 AM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

This is not an American thing.

It's human nature. Seen all over the world.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 05:34 AM
link   
You city folk and your ridiculous problems.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 06:44 AM
link   
They obviously never played musical chairs. There is no law regarding parking in parking lots. There is etiquette though,

First come first serve, for cars. Its not a park bench, its a space for cars. Everyone drives around and around in their cars, until a spot opens up.

Reserving it with your body is cheating.

American manners, 101

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Can't believe no one posted this -

Although, in today's society, this would be more appropriate -

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Maybe it's a big city thing. I've seen this quite a bit. Maybe they haven't. Absolutely no creativity or sense of humor here.

His girlfriend should have gotten out of the vehicle and went and stood next to the first lady while the boyfriend found another spot... allowing all the other vehicles to go on their way... and then I would refuse to move when the other vehicle tried to park there.

It would probably be a good idea to make sure they know that I already have 9-1- pressed on my phone.

If I really wanted to have fun, I'd have the boyfriend get our food to go and have a little picnic right there in the parking spot.

Natural consequences. It works both ways. If they want to keep me out of that parking spot, okay... and I'll return the favor.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 09:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

Depending on the classification of that parking lot, it may be legal for a person to hold that spot. If the spot was on a city street, laws can apply that make standing in it illegal, but that is not the case in this video. The person in the wrong is probably the driver in this case.

There is no law... c'mon. It is pretty clear the chick ran across to block the space as whoever she was with would have not gotten that space as their car was not even close or even in the same parking aisle.

I've also seen where people will move a car and then wait for a friend or whoever to bring their car to retake the spot keeping others from parking.

In some cities, they have pedestrian laws that ban people from being on a street other than in crossing areas. This is not a street, it is a parking lot, people can not be given a Jay walking ticket in a parking lot.

If this is a private parking lot, the rules governing the parking lot are made by the owner of the lot. If it is a city parking lot, then the guy blocking the road would probably be ticketed here for this. It is not a city street, it is a parking lot. Maybe some cities have special rules for this kind of stuff, that would be in their local laws. From what I saw, the guy driving was harassing people. That could be taken as racism in many areas. He also was trying trying to intimidate women. I would say that the guy and his GF were putting on a show to post on social media. They staged this.

This has zero to do with pedestrian laws. You are over thinking it. It is simply one person attempting to essentially cut in line to get to a parking space they other wise would not be getting. Nothing more.

I think most people would say this crosses the line of generally acceptable behavior.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 09:26 AM
link   

a reply to: rickymouse

So I can camp on 2 spots saying I'm reserving them for 2 cars and "you can have one if you pay me $20"

It would be illegal to charge someone for a parking spot if you are not the owner of that spot. Anyone trying to sell a spot would be in violation of the law, even if the guy in this video offered them money and they accepted it, they could be charged with a crime. I have had someone save a spot for me while I went and got a car to load up some supplies for my business. I have done the same thing when I was helping someone move out of their appartment, saving a spot right next to the door in a complex helps. You move one truck out, then another one in that spot so you do not have to carry stuff across the parking lot. I learned forty years to do that when helping someone move, people will grab that spot in front of the door right away and they have no concept of how they inconvenience others most times. If I see someone moving out of a spot and they are moving and have more vehicles to load, I would not park there. I would do the considerate thing.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Depending on the classification of that parking lot, it may be legal for a person to hold that spot. If the spot was on a city street, laws can apply that make standing in it illegal, but that is not the case in this video. The person in the wrong is probably the driver in this case.

There is no law... c'mon. It is pretty clear the chick ran across to block the space as whoever she was with would have not gotten that space as their car was not even close or even in the same parking aisle.

I've also seen where people will move a car and then wait for a friend or whoever to bring their car to retake the spot keeping others from parking.

In some cities, they have pedestrian laws that ban people from being on a street other than in crossing areas. This is not a street, it is a parking lot, people can not be given a Jay walking ticket in a parking lot.

If this is a private parking lot, the rules governing the parking lot are made by the owner of the lot. If it is a city parking lot, then the guy blocking the road would probably be ticketed here for this. It is not a city street, it is a parking lot. Maybe some cities have special rules for this kind of stuff, that would be in their local laws. From what I saw, the guy driving was harassing people. That could be taken as racism in many areas. He also was trying trying to intimidate women. I would say that the guy and his GF were putting on a show to post on social media. They staged this.

This has zero to do with pedestrian laws. You are over thinking it. It is simply one person attempting to essentially cut in line to get to a parking space they other wise would not be getting. Nothing more.

I think most people would say this crosses the line of generally acceptable behavior.

In the big city, they do have laws that govern parking on streets. In this case, there was no line, did you see many cars in that parking lot moving? Not many were in that video. So someone figured they would go save a spot for their friends who were not there yet so they could maybe all get into the restaurant or where they were going together, that is common actually, people do it all the time.

Maybe you live in a world where people do not look out for their friends and associates. I would go hold a spot if the parking lot was full and our daughter and her BF was coming to do something with the wife and I. The thing is I am a big guy and I am very intimidating looking, nobody would question me if I did that, I could have lifted the back end of their car off the ground in my younger years, I used to do that with friends. Not many people would have challenged me twenty years ago. So they are picking on those women because they are smaller than them. I consider that discrimination.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 09:45 AM
link   

a reply to: rickymouse

So I can camp on 2 spots saying I'm reserving them for 2 cars and "you can have one if you pay me $20"

It would be illegal to charge someone for a parking spot if you are not the owner of that spot. Anyone trying to sell a spot would be in violation of the law, even if the guy in this video offered them money and they accepted it, they could be charged with a crime. I have had someone save a spot for me while I went and got a car to load up some supplies for my business. I have done the same thing when I was helping someone move out of their appartment, saving a spot right next to the door in a complex helps. You move one truck out, then another one in that spot so you do not have to carry stuff across the parking lot. I learned forty years to do that when helping someone move, people will grab that spot in front of the door right away and they have no concept of how they inconvenience others most times. If I see someone moving out of a spot and they are moving and have more vehicles to load, I would not park there. I would do the considerate thing.

Nothing wrong with the example above... most people don't have an issue with a contractor or people moving furniture, etc holding a space right in front of a building for convenience while working. However, that is totally different from what is going on in the OPs video.

This situation is like being in a crowded mall or area with a lot of people looking for parking at the same time. Cars are going around like musical chairs waiting for a space to open. When a space opens up near your car, you get the spot. That is how we do in the civilized world. In this case, the Asian lady sees a space ON AN ENTIRELY DIFFERENT AISLE of where her car is presently located meaning she would not get that space. The car filming has the claim to the open spot as it gets to it first. Instead, the Asian lady runs across the aisle to block the space so her driver can then make it around and claim the spot. This is just a straight up self centered d*ck move. Period.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I saw a parking war one time in downtown Austin, Tx. The loser followed the winner into a bar and took a glass and split the left side of the winners face open. They were both girls.
edit on 13-3-2018 by Onlyyouknow because: Fix wording

edit on 13-3-2018 by Onlyyouknow because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Anyone sticking up for this girl with entitlement issues , would probably pull the same d**k move .
Drive around like the rest of us til you find a spot to park . ......don't be an arrogant ass .

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 10:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Onlyyouknow
I saw a parking war one time in downtown Austin, Tx. The loser followed the winner into a bar and took a glass and split the left side of the winners face open. They were both girls.

My father was a real asshole.

One time in El Paso, back in the 80's, we were circling Cielo Vista Mall trying to find a spot. He was sniped out of a spot by someone in a front wheel drive car. My father, being the asshole he is, felt he needed to confront them over this. As he approached, the drivers window rolled down and a .357 magnum was rested on the top of the door, barrel aimed at dads groin.

He just turned around and got back in our Maxima diesel and puttered off in search of another spot.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Simple solution would have been for one of the people to simply get out and push them out of the way while the driver parks.

Who allows this silly #?? I have parked in many garages, even seen the car across from mine set on fire once in a parking garage in Ybor City , but behavior like this is quite anomalous. Never been witness to this shenanigans. I woulda just started nudging them with my car and eventually get out and move them myself if they refused to play ball.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 10:39 AM
link   
If one has no ambulation issues then it is good to park a little farther away for me.
A little extra exercise doesn't hurt especially in the winter. I've seen similar to this before but I'm not very confrontational about some things so I just moved along.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 10:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: TNMockingbird
If one has no ambulation issues then it is good to park a little farther away for me.
A little extra exercise doesn't hurt especially in the winter. I've seen similar to this before but I'm not very confrontational about some things so I just moved along.

I see it as being a good citizen exercising his civic duty to park a little further out. There are people without handicap placards that still have trouble getting around. Maybe that 30 year old dude that looks healthy has a raging boil inside his thigh. Or maybe that young lady actually has back problems that make walking a little more difficult.

I just think I do better for those around me by volunteering to put a few extra steps in.

I return my cart to the cart return for the same reason: a good citizen doing civic duty.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join