It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elon Musk: 'Like Competing In Olympic Race Wearing Lead Shoes'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2018 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Elon Musk. I have been hearing that name a lot lately, and each time I do I continue to gain respect for this man that I do not know.

www.msn.com... K1CJj

In a series of tweets, Musk pointed out that American cars exported to China are charged a 25 import duty, whereas a Chinese car coming to America only pays a 2.5 percent duty. In addition, Musk pointed out that U.S. companies aren't allowed to hold majority ownership interest in factories operated in China, but Chinese companies are allowed 100 percent ownership of factories located in the U.S

He does know how to use verifiable evidence to support his claims.

www.cnbc.com...

Elon Musk sides with Trump on trade with China, citing 25% import duty on American cars Elon Musk sides with Trump on trade with China, citing 25% import duty on American cars 4:15 PM ET Thu, 8 March 2018 | 00:55 Just Watched... Elon Musk sides with Trump on trade with China, citing 25% import duty on American cars Share this video www.cnbc.com... Watch Next... Cancel Japan companies 'confused' on US moves on steel tariffs Tesla's Elon Musk is complaining to President Donald Trump about China's car tariffs. "Do you think the US & China should have equal & fair rules for cars? Meaning, same import duties, ownership constraints & other factors," Musk said on Twitter in response to a Trump tweet about trade with China. "I am against import duties in general, but the current rules make things very difficult. It's like competing in an Olympic race wearing lead shoes.

I would be interested in seeing the arguments against these things. I can't think of one and I would just like to read another opinion that may differ and also offer verifiable evidence to support their claims.

posted on Mar, 9 2018 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Chinese and Indian cars are garbage, they are the Lada of their time. If they slapped a 25% import duty on them in the US none would sell and if they scrapped the 25% import duty on US cars in China, no one would buy their cars at home!

Which is not a bad thing if it prevents the rusting piles of crap from filling up our countries scrap yards and spewing CO2.

I think Trump is absolutely right, when you have a good negotiation position like America has, why are the deals all wrong? Probably because former politicians were looking after themselves at the expense of the tax payer.

posted on Mar, 9 2018 @ 08:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Forensick

Probably because former politicians were looking after themselves at the expense of the tax payer.

Well it is very easy to believe that these countries where paying off our leaders to make a better deal for their country. That would make very bad leadership. And if what Musk is saying is true, it is itself evidence that our leaders where not trying to help our country, but only themselves. Traitorous to the core.

posted on Mar, 9 2018 @ 08:18 PM
link   
China the country that murdered thousands of their own people because they dared to protest for their rights and after made it illegal to even speak about it.

Don't forget their president is essentially now elected for life no different from an emperor.

Such a country will bribe our politicians to let such things slide.

posted on Mar, 9 2018 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

Such a country will bribe our politicians to let such things slide.

I would go as far as saying they have. The differences of the trade deal is self evident of that. Only an idiot, would have put those trade deals in place. A person who is not doing their job for the American people.

posted on Mar, 9 2018 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I'm quite sure that making fair and equitable trade deals is evil.

CNN doesn't like equitable trade deals for the USA.

Elon Musk better be careful or CNN will start investigating his ice cream habits.

edit on 9-3-2018 by The GUT because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2018 @ 10:27 PM
link   
You hit the nail on the head sir. Trumps a savy buisness man first and for most he knows the ecenomic game inside and out and your lucky to have him looking after your trade interest.

He is even hard on Canada,bigly believe it.

a reply to: Forensick
edit on 9-3-2018 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2018 @ 11:17 PM
link   
a reply to: 3daysgone

All American workers want is a level playing field.

I believe that we can just let our trade partners set the rules. If they charge 25% tariffs then we do the same. If they have no restrictions then neither do we.

China has been treating us like crap for decades.

Glad to finally have a President with balls.

posted on Mar, 10 2018 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Aren't Teslas made with aluminium and steel?

How are increased raw material costs going to help their competitiveness?

posted on Mar, 10 2018 @ 03:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

All American workers want is a level playing field.

I believe that we can just let our trade partners set the rules. If they charge 25% tariffs then we do the same. If they have no restrictions then neither do we.

China has been treating us like crap for decades.

Glad to finally have a President with balls.

You have it backwards, China has not been treating you like crap, your very own elected leaders have thrown American people under the bus, as has been mentioned for their own petty gain.

The problem is the people are not paying attention to what is going on and are paying through the hip pocket as a result.

posted on Mar, 10 2018 @ 05:28 AM
link   
I wasn't even aware that we had Chinese made cars in the U.S.
I've never seen a Geely or a Chery on the road.
Apparently Geely now owns Volvo and manufactures one of their sedans in China.
I hope they use better steel than they do in their crappy cheap tools.

posted on Mar, 10 2018 @ 05:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23

Cars are not made of steel anymore.....its all plastics and alloys...

The Chinese market of cars is massive, they are cheap, have good warranties, fuel efficient and fit the throw away market that is the world today.

posted on Mar, 10 2018 @ 06:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

originally posted by: skunkape23

Cars are not made of steel anymore.....its all plastics and alloys...

The Chinese market of cars is massive, they are cheap, have good warranties, fuel efficient and fit the throw away market that is the world today.

Steel is an alloy.

The vast majority of cars are made from steel and aluminium.

posted on Mar, 10 2018 @ 06:23 AM
link   
a reply to: ScepticScot

Steel...no biggie. The crap we are talkimg about isnt something you want you families safety guaranteed in. US steel would be the only way to go regardless.

What it may do is similar to the ligjt truck tariff....drive up steel pricing to meet the cushion the tariff would provide.

Pickups are only expensive here because of the light truck tariff targeting Germany.

posted on Mar, 10 2018 @ 06:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

Steel...no biggie. The crap we are talkimg about isnt something you want you families safety guaranteed in. US steel would be the only way to go regardless.

What it may do is similar to the ligjt truck tariff....drive up steel pricing to meet the cushion the tariff would provide.

Pickups are only expensive here because of the light truck tariff targeting Germany.

If the tariffs increase the cost of steel and aluminum then its going to put up the cost of US cars (and a lot else). That is going to hurt US exports.

posted on Mar, 10 2018 @ 06:59 AM
link   

I happen to agree with Musk on this particular point.

However, his alignment withTrump should be of no surprise, as Musk is a new partner of US government defence agencies.

latestnewsnetwork.com...

‘SpaceX is committed to our current manifest, and we do not expect this to have any impact on our launch cadence,’ the firm said in a statement.

Even the branch of the US government responsible for spy satellites, the National Reconnaissance Office, is public about payloads it launches via SpaceX, though it always keeps the details classified.

The Zuma mission bares similarities to two other launches in the past, PAN and CLIO, launched in 2009 and 2014 respectively.

These missions were also secretive and unclaimed by any government entity.

The PAN satellite was used by the National Security Agency to spy on conversations routed through communications satellites above the Middle East, according to documents obtained by The Intercept last year.

So basically, whatever is the government's opinion, Musk can't do anything much else than roll with the ball.

edit on 10-3-2018 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2018 @ 08:43 AM
link   

We make steel in the US too if you will remember.

posted on Mar, 10 2018 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: VforVendettea

Yes and its more expensive.

posted on Mar, 10 2018 @ 02:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot

it's pure vs cheap like Chinese steel. Quality is not expensive, its priceless.

posted on Mar, 10 2018 @ 02:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: SR1TX

originally posted by: ScepticScot

it's pure vs cheap like Chinese steel. Quality is not expensive, its priceless.

Companies use the quality they need. But keeping believing the American best myth.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join