It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Type 1 Diabetes in 15 Month Old.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I would suggest talking to folks on the Diabetes Type I forum at Patients Like me

There is also a large Facebook community for Type I diabetes

I would suggest that you join the ones you are comfortable with. There's parents there who can give you advice and tell you about their experiences. We could give you what we think, but they can talk from the viewpoint of someone dealing with it.

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 07:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

Wow, that dietician sounds awful, sorry to hear about your boy... I can't get past the rubbish food they feed people in hospital over there... The diet you posted will make anybody sick no wonder obesity is such a problem in the U. S.

Check out a guy called David perlmutter, he has great tips for eating well, the best thing you can do for yourself and your family is eat fresh food, make it from scratch, stay away from supermarket prepackaged foods, they are high in sodium, sugar, preservatives and food coloring.

If you stick to fresh fruits, veg and meat you will notice a difference in a short amount of time. Good luck I hope it gets easier for you.

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Hello, welcome to the family of T1D, my sympathies.

I've been a T1D for 33 years, my daughter now for almost 3, and my son is 3-4months into his.

It is very manageable, and ideally you really don't have to change diet it is all about the carbs. I wear an insulin pump, as does my daughter, it helps tremendously to account for them and get the appropriate amount of insulin going for the carbs we are eating in a meal.

Now, this doesn't mean to let him eat loaves of bread and account for it, but a few pieces of bread and a dose of insulin for carbs is about the normal solution. It's ideally about quantity too, accurate measuring of food, and insulin adjustment.

When he is physically active, he will need less insulin (summer, school gym class). During winter, and sedentary times you will have to probably give a tiny bit more.

It's all a 'game' of measuring, quantifying and managing. Also when counting carbs, subtract the dietary fibre from the total carbs, as the dietary fibre portion isn't digested/absorbed.

Yea, a piece of candy isn't a bad thing now and then, moderation, a pile of candy is a bad idea. Processed foods are easy to calculate, but not nearly as healthy. We do a lot of home cooking from scratch here and it works pretty well.

Careful what you read, too. Most medical doctors are clueless, as are school nurses and the majority of medical doctors. Find an endocrinologist, they tend to deal with Diabetics and are a lot more in the know for treating the disease.

Once he's in his teen years, 500mg of cinnamon a day will help keep sugars in check on top of his insulin.

Reach out to The Barbara Davis Center, in the USA. They're the leading group, and I'm sure would be happy to send information along to you as well.

And you can always ask questions via PM to me if you'd like.
edit on C181030144 by Cygnis because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Unfortunately I can not give you any advice on diabetes type diets. But I want to honestly tell you I'm sorry for what your child and you are going through, and at only 15 months I feel for you. My son is 7 and has an appointment Wednesday because he has been showing tics in his face and hands for almost a year and I was hoping he would grow out of it, but he's not. It seems he has the same neurological disorder I have, but mine didn't start until I was in my 20s, I feel very guilty I passes it along to him through my genes.

Luckily you said its manageable and you have 2 pages, and I'm sure more to come, of responses and good advice from members here who truly care. I hope your child and you can get past this with very little changes to your lives. And always remember it could be alot worse.

Once again I'm sorry I couldn't be more help, but like many members on here we are always there to help you in anyway we can even if you just need to vent.

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 11:51 PM
link   
go to a Low Glycemic/Glygemic Index diet.

and use olive oil on all pasta and bread and should be used by all diabetics in all meals.

olive oil slows down the digestion of carbs.

care.diabetesjournals.org...

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 04:47 AM
link   
My son got diabetes type 1 when he was 3 years old ( he is soon 14) . Give him normal home made meals, do not use artificial sugar products ( these even that they do not raise bloodglucose, they keep hungry feelin on and also make carbs digestion faster from other foods you eat causing high bloodsugars also rapid lows after. Beside all this they are very unhealthy ( aspartin is nerve poison).
Routine, my kid eats about 4 hours cycle ( except night time ), we started with insulin pens but he is insulin sensitive so changed to insulin pump, pump gives a little bit more freedom to snacks etc.

DON`T AVOID CARBS ( kids need carbs to grow up, brain development is important and brains need carbs !)

Routine is good, healthy normal meals, and most important treat him as a normal kid.

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 04:50 AM
link   
a reply to: ANNED

Kid is still a baby, normal diet is best. Low carb diet is for grown ups and you got to be sure it works well when you are type 1.

<< 1   >>

join