It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need a little yardage estimation help from crocheters

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2018 @ 03:38 PM
link   
My husband and I agreed we need an extra blanket for warmth for the bed in the winter, and neither of us want synthetic, at least not 100% synthetic. Acrylic is out, not even negotiable.
We eventually came to the agreement that wool or a blend of it would be the better choice for a winter blanket. After shopping around and looking at how much a pre-made queen sized wool blanket would run, I opened my yap & said I could probably crochet it at least a little cheaper.
I can certainly do this, it's just going to be a long spring & summer, and probably early autumn for me. I haven't even really settled on a pattern or a hook size yet.

For me to do this, I know I need a hell of a lot of yarn. A LOT of yarn. I'm just not sure how much, exactly. This is where our crochet hobbyists (and knitters, if you think you can help) come in.

It's time to have some fun!
Let's assume I want to torture myself and stick with my favored 6 mm/J hook. Let's also assume I'm a glutton for punishment and do the entire thing in a DC (I likely won't, but let's just run with this for easy estimating)
Let's also assume I'm completely bats# insane and want to match the mattress dimensions and make it 60x80 inches.

We have 2 colorway options selected out of these Elann lines, though the exact colorways we like aren't in stock at the moment--
www.amazon.com...

www.amazon.com...

I am not sure if my math is correct or not (probably not) but 5,000-ish yards total doesn't seem like enough to me, going by the aforementioned assumptions, and considering the weight of these skeins. I'd rather have too much than not enough, and have to reorder and HOPE the colorway batch matches, it can & does vary.
What say anyone else? Did I undershoot?

Also, how large of a hook would be best suited for this? I'm very used to my J, it's such a versatile size to me for everything, hats, scarves, cowls, baby/toddler blankets, etc. But I've never made anything this large before, would my 8 mm/L hook be better for something this big?

posted on Mar, 4 2018 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I once dated a woman who I called "hoggy"...
She didn't know why I called her that.
We had a king size comforter that supported the two of us. But I would wake up freezing only to find her calmed and cozied and wrapped like burrito, alseep.
Since I am a smoker.... I usually just respond by lighting a cig. To which end she called "smoggy".
Thus the adventures of hoggy and smoggy.

posted on Mar, 4 2018 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I crochet, but I'm a bad person to ask. Every time I look at a pattern, I have to figure on using a hook about two sizes larger than what they call for in order to approach the size for the pattern and I always have a ton left over.

posted on Mar, 4 2018 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Those colours? Are you sure?
If I were you I'd make fun little quarters in all kinds of different patterns and colours and knit them together.

posted on Mar, 4 2018 @ 04:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple

Those colours? Are you sure?
If I were you I'd make fun little quarters in all kinds of different patterns and colours and knit them together.

The Meander tans, yes, but not the Pippi colors shown. Either Stone Fox, or Driftwater Blues (both are out of stock right now) or maybe a granny squares blend of those two. Which is looking likely because we love both colorways and they appear to complement each other's cool tones well.

posted on Mar, 4 2018 @ 04:06 PM
link   

My wife did a chain 300 SC blanket for our king bed, she used 15 skeins. Roughly 7 foot by 7 foot. Better to over buy than under buy. You can always use leftovers.

Note; I have no idea what this all means. It might be nuclear codes that women understand and they want to rule the world. All I did was read your post out loud.

I'm sorry world if I helped cause nuclear destruction.

posted on Mar, 4 2018 @ 04:08 PM
link   

If you have any extry wool (which I reckon you will) can you knits me a merkin?

Mmmhhhhmmmmm.

edit on 4-3-2018 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Mar, 4 2018 @ 04:08 PM
link   
That is a big project! As far as wool...it makes me itchy, but if it is a blanket going over another one, you should be ok. I would imagine it would be quite costly as well, but wish you luck with your creation. I haven't crocheted in a long time, the last time, I made was a baby blanket with soft yarn and natural dyes a few years ago.

Made a mohair purse with metallic threads once.

posted on Mar, 4 2018 @ 04:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star

DB's stripper name is Mohair Purse.

posted on Mar, 4 2018 @ 04:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
I crochet, but I'm a bad person to ask. Every time I look at a pattern, I have to figure on using a hook about two sizes larger than what they call for in order to approach the size for the pattern and I always have a ton left over.

Every time I try to use a pattern, I end up screwing it up badly and have to start over. I'm one of those people where they're...more of a guideline than anything, I'm better at winging it than following instructions. I tried to follow a pattern yesterday for a scarf in Sidesaddle, but seriously bungled the edging. Undid it and just winged the edging, it looks much closer to the pattern now somehow. My kid loves it so much she has me making a blanket in Sidesaddle, with bigger gaps between the clusters. It's actually pretty cute this way.

posted on Mar, 4 2018 @ 04:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Night Star

DB's stripper name is Mohair Purse.

Molehair Purse.

*ahem*

posted on Mar, 4 2018 @ 04:11 PM
link   

If you have any extry wool (which I reckon you will) can you knits me a merkin?

Mmmhhhhmmmmm.

FFS, you're Italian, you don't need a merkin. Hairier than an unshaven Greek woman's armpit.

posted on Mar, 4 2018 @ 04:12 PM
link   

I wing it too. LOL
Some of those patterns might as well be written in a foreign language.

posted on Mar, 4 2018 @ 04:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
Molehair Purse.

*ahem*

Still want my quarters back.

posted on Mar, 4 2018 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Big advantage with squares is that you got more options if you underestimate how much you need, you got a lot more options to rearrange.
Can you show me the other two colours too? I tried to Google but wasn't sure which one.

link   

My wife did a chain 300 SC blanket for our king bed, she used 15 skeins. Roughly 7 foot by 7 foot. Better to over buy than under buy. You can always use leftovers.

Note; I have no idea what this all means. It might be nuclear codes that women understand and they want to rule the world. All I did was read your post out loud.

I'm sorry world if I helped cause nuclear destruction.

That's actually helpful, I guesstimated around 20-25 skeins of this brand based on weight & yardage. At least I know it's in the right amount neighborhood, if not over it.

link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Glad you clarified. I would have felt strange using the little purse if it were mohair stripper.

posted on Mar, 4 2018 @ 04:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

FFS, you're Italian, you don't need a merkin. Hairier than an unshaven Greek woman's armpit.

Sadly the hirsute gene passed over me so I need all the help I can get. If you run out of wool will just skein up DB's back hair, it's a lovely shade of salt and pepper.

posted on Mar, 4 2018 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Must be a slow day at ATS if you and DB are in a thread about crocheting.

posted on Mar, 4 2018 @ 04:17 PM
link   

The wife says good luck and have fun on your project!

Molehair Purse.

*ahem*

Still want my quarters back.

Still looking for them.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join