It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1960s psychedelia

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 11:19 AM
link   
They can't make em like this anymore.

I Had Too Much To Dream Last Night, by The Electric Prunes

Released in early 1967, the song featured heavy effects, some of which were accomplished unintentionally. The fuzzed-out guitar intro was a played-backwards effect. The recording was truly ground breaking, and had people in the music biz asking how the sounds were created. Great lyrics as well.

Season Of The Witch, by Donovan

Also a 1967 release, features Jimmy Page playing a very eerie guitar riff.

Itchycoo Park, by The Small Faces
Another 67 release. The band dismissed it as a teenybopper pop song. Strange.
It was banned off and on for what radio stations said were drug references.
The song was actually about a park near Oxford. The "dreaming spires" line refers to Oxford's architecture.
The park was nicknamed "Itchycoo Park" because stinging nettles grew abundantly.
The cool flanged drum effect was actually done mechanically by the recording engineer, who moved the tape reels
very slightly on playback, and the end recording had the 'whoosh' effect. The flanged drums are heard much better
on the original mono recording than the remastered digital releases.

Magic Carpet Ride, by Steppenwolf

"On a cloud of sound I drift in the night"
Need I say more?

Sky Pilot, by The Animals

Classic anti war song released in 1968. They protest that no matter how much we pray and look to the church, the horrors don't go away.
"Soon there'll be blood, and many will die. Mothers and fathers back home, they will cry." The Sky Pilot is the priest, the vicar.
The middle of the song has a break with battle sounds, guitar feedback, and then bagpipes.

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: ColeYounger

I love that stuff! Hendrix with 3rd Stone from the Sun, early 13th Floor Elevators and Love's first LP. Light My Fire (full album version). Goat's Head Soup. They were, like, sooooo cooool maaaan.

High five on Magic Carpet Ride. Love it!

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I was just nine years old in 67’ .. but I remember the music well having had older siblings that played the music of that era. Still love it . Thanks for creating this thread OP.

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 12:42 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...

'Mary Jane' by The Baroques

Mary take me away...

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Sheye

I was also 9 in '67
The music of that era is a way important a part of me.

Op, thanks for posting, always like a little psychedelic lunch.

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Magic Carpet Ride is one of my all time favs... sigh... Pictures of Matchstick Men, too... gotta love the scrambled mind soup lyrics and effects/organs back before effect pedals...

and what about 80's - 90's psychedelia? Butthole Surfers? Anyone? Heh...
edit on 3/1/2018 by Baddogma because: fixee

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Blue Cheer anyone?

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Musically, another world.

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 01:17 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 01:28 PM
link   
old one of 1966 from holland with interresting guitar intro (for pink floyd fan's )

www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 01:38 PM
link   
People make fun of this one, but I still like it. If nothing else, it paved the way for ridiculously long drum solos.

Some very cool guitar effects here:

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: underpass61

Blue Cheer. Holy noise. I saw them over in SF once. I had never seen a band that had the entire stage behind them filled with huge speakers. It was one noise fest. But we didn't care because we were there to be immersed.
Ain't no cure for the summer time blues.
Most of my friends at the time dismissed them but I loved them for a short period, til my ears gave out.

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 02:02 PM
link   
My Favourite era of "PoP" music.....

Who can forget......

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Baddogma

and what about 80's - 90's psychedelia? Butthole Surfers? Anyone? Heh...

Psychic TV put out some cool stuff in the 80's

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 02:23 PM
link   

The best Psychedelic songs EVER.

Number 3 Cream " Dance The Night Away " 1967

Number 2 Traffic " Paper Sun " 1967

Number 1 The Moody Blues * Legend Of A Mind " 1968

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 02:38 PM
link   
great, great music!!

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: wtbengineer

Hello fellow birthday year chums. I was also 9 in '67 and I liked a bunch of the songs posted here (and even remember the words; go me LOL).

Thanks for the memories OP.

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Back in '85, I bought this groovy looking vinyl picture disc by a band called "The Seeing Eye Gods". I had no idea at the time it was a Brett Gurewitz (Bad Religion) side project.

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 02:50 PM
link   

In the mid 60's I had a fuzz box-plug in directly to my guitar...(Vox)...and a little switch on it... One of the 1st of its kind. The first few songs using distortion was "Heart of Soul"-the Yardbirds..."Satisfaction"-Rolling Stones..."Tobacco Road"-Blues Magoos...among others....

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 03:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

In the mid 60's I had a fuzz box-plug in directly to my guitar...(Vox)...and a little switch on it... One of the 1st of its kind. The first few songs using distortion was "Heart of Soul"-the Yardbirds..."Satisfaction"-Rolling Stones..."Tobacco Road"-Blues Magoos...among others....

The distorted guitar sound was an invention of Dave Davis of The Kinks. It was first ever heard on " You Really Got Me " from 1964. Story on how he did it here.

www.premierguitar.com...

Music journalists also agree that The Kinks made the first ever psychedelic record in 1964. Here it is.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join