It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supreme Court rules immigrants can be detained indefinitely

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

You start with the legal immigrants, and it's only a damned matter of time before they concoct some excuse to do the same bull to the born citizens. Mark my words.

Exactly. We already deny felons certain rights. So what's to stop the courts from now saying that they're allowed to be detained indefinitely without a trial? And from there it's just a hop, skip, and a jump to being able to apply it to all citizens.

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 04:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: aethertek
This is really disgusting, shamed to be American right now considering how far this country has fallen below it's founding ideals & aspirations.

You see how they're separating mothers & children.

That's some Nazi / Communist level evil right there, sickening to so many "Americans" champion this vile behavior.

K~

well right now it is not a behavior as much as just a thought.
if they actually start detention camps then we are lost

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: howtonhawky

What do you call those ICE processing centers?

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Supreme Court rules immigrants can be detained indefinitely

As much as I don't like Illegal immigrants ?

Give them a tooth brush, and send them on their way.

No need for indefinite detention.

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Ok, but what about the LEGAL immigrants this also applies to, Neo? Surely you didn't miss that gem.

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
a reply to: howtonhawky

What do you call those ICE processing centers?

Meth labs?

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 04:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

I didn't dismiss this gem.

In its ruling, the court affirmed the right of the government to detain immigrants while it determines whether they should be allowed in the country.

Immigration officials are authorized to detain certain aliens in the course of immigration proceedings while they determine whether those aliens may be lawfully present in the country," Justice Samuel Alito wrote in the majority opinion.

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

On the face of it, I would absolutely disagree with this, but that is only an opinion based on the OP. I'll have to dig deeper into it to see if, right now, that it legal because of how laws that can be changed are written, or if they're saying that non-citizens cannot expect such rights.

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 04:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: PsychoEmperor
How do you determine if they are here legally if there is no hearing and they are just being held?

Officer: "Do you have any identification?"
Suspect: "Yeah, here's my id."

And that's how they determine if someone is here legally or not. This ruling is for people who refuse to show id, don't have any id, or refuse to answer questions about their immigration status. If someone gets arrested and then won't provide id and won't tell law enforcement who they are, then yeah, they absolutely should be held until they either change their mind or the officers can determine who they are. It's kindof the responsibility of LEOs to determine if that guy who got pulled over for not using a turn signal is just a careless driver or some fugitive gang member wanted for multiple murders. If someone wants to refuse to identify themselves and instead sit in jail, let em sit in jail as long as they please.

What do you think should happen? "Well, we have no idea who you are, where you're from, or what crimes you may be wanted for, but we're gonna let you go because we trust you that you'll come back later once we figure that out."

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 04:58 PM
link   

I do not like this one bit. It smacks of inhumanity. Legal immigrants being detained like this, even if they have committed a crime, should simply be deported or tried, not held without bail. Even illegal immigrants should be either tried for a crime and/or deported. Locking people up with no recourse for any length of time is wrong. I'm not talking about the law here, just common human decency. I do not like this one bit.

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Permenat leagal status is basically your Green Card. In order to keep your Green card status you must abide by the laws of the United States and renew it every ten years. It doesnt make you a citizen.

edit on 27-2-2018 by Tarzan the apeman. because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 05:02 PM
link   

American Citizens can be detained indefinitely, without charge or trial.

This is not surprising at all.

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 05:09 PM
link   
a reply to: trollz

you do not have to provide id unless there is cause to do so.

simply being asked to provide id is not cause.

being here in the usa is not cause either

looking like a mexican is not cause

breaking a law is cause

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 05:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: howtonhawky
you do not have to provide id unless there is cause to do so.

breaking a law is cause

I know, which is why I said this:

If someone gets arrested and then won't provide id and won't tell law enforcement who they are

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 05:16 PM
link   

i am with you now as long as they are not getting arrested for looking like they are illegal

ex. at store looking illegal not the same as at border looking illegal

i do believe much in profiling but within reason

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 05:34 PM
link   

This whole case stems from an incident where a legal immigrant was detained for three years while authorities determined his legal status.

How is that in any way legal, ethical, or moral?

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Ask the last president.

3 years eh.

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 05:50 PM
link   

And it was wrong then as well. But now it has been determined as Constitutional for all time. That is an issue.

ETA: Also, he was detained in 2004. In 2007 the ACLU filed a complaint and he was released. It then went to trial where a permanent injunction was filed. An injunction that was upheld by the Ninth Circuit. It seemed like the case was done until the Trump administration filed another appeal.

So it seems your dig against Obama was unwarranted.
edit on 2/27/2018 by Xcalibur254 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 05:56 PM
link   
The better news is blue states and blue sheriffs can no longer screw with ICE retainers by only giving a 15 minutes head up to ICE agents so they can guarantee illegal immigrant releases to the community.

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Legal residents are our welcomed guests, soon to be family.

This is wrong.

Common sense wasnt the issue. This was meant to be wrong, so it can fuel the open borders cause.

We say:
Look what they are doing!? Then the same people doing this later offer to "fix" the problem with an equally belligerent extreme meant to strip us all of freedoms.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join