It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poisonous Bites and Death Maybe Not Electro-Treatment Successful

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 01:47 PM
link   
When many of us think of a snake we think of getting bit, or even worse dying from a poisonous one. Researchers are trying to figure out why high voltage, low amps are able to not only neutralize a bite, but actually stop all related symptoms.

It's a fascinating situation, because when people are hours away from a treatment center, on the spot electro-treatment appears to be winner.

Apparently it applies to bee stings, ants, scorpions, as well, research is ongoing.

www.nytimes.com...

The treatment is delivered through modifications of what are popularly known as stun guns. It comes in the form of four or five high-voltage, low-current electric shocks.

Each is painful and lasts one to two seconds. The shocks are given about five to ten seconds apart and are applied as close as possible to the site of the bites of snakes and such venomous insects as scorpions and ants.

Look no one died.

In 34 cases where there was evidence of venomous bites that had penetrated the skin of limbs, the current was applied within about a half hour. None of the usual serious medical complications developed and none of the patients died, the researchers said in a report on what could become a revolutionary treatment.

Also, the pain of the poisonous bites disappeared within 15 minutes, according to the report in the July 26 issue of The Lancet, a leading medical journal published in London.

edit on 23-2-2018 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Would a regular taser applied to the affected area work?

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
Would a regular taser applied to the affected area work?

It appears that they had augmented a taser for the treatment, but I can tell you if I got bit, and the only thing I had was, an off the shelf taser I'd be applying it immediately.

Hopefully the bites will not be in the genital area.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Reminds me of an article I read many years ago, something like Australians in the outback using the vehicle spark plug wire to 'shock' the bite area...

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Realtruth

I assume the electric shock probably breaks down the venom in some type of way before it can spread throughout the body.

That being said, I'm wondering how much that guy in the photo got paid to let a snake bite his face for a stock photo. Hard times, all around.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Field and Stream 1986.....been waitin for this to get out more

It was on the cover April...I did my doggy in 1987 with a quick group of 5 sparks from the lawnmower.....no troubles at all, the swollen part went away after 5 hours

edit on 23-2-2018 by GBP/JPY because: (no reason given)

if ya spark a snake bite there's no chance of the usual amputation in remote areas
edit on 23-2-2018 by GBP/JPY because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 02:47 PM
link   
The US Navy has known this at least since the 80's. I owned a firearms store in the late eighties and traded a friend of mine who was in the Navy at the time a few boxes of 9mm for a "snake bite kit, jungle" or something like that. Inside a brown plastic pouch like the MRE's were once in, was several bandages, an antiseptic, a booklet and inside a silver foil pouch was 50,000 Volt Stun Gun. The Navy guy swore they worked and had been used successfully.

I later sold the kit as a curio. Soon after the Navy guy came back looking for it. It happened to be something he couldn't even have much less sell. I told him who I sold it to and he knew him and got it back.

But yeah, they've been around for awhile.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

I assume the electric shock probably breaks down the venom in some type of way before it can spread throughout the body.

That being said, I'm wondering how much that guy in the photo got paid to let a snake bite his face for a stock photo. Hard times, all around.

Those neurotoxins work by binding to various receptors, so they must have positive and negative charged regions. An electric shock would frazzle those molecules by giving them extra electrons.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell

originally posted by: underwerks

Those neurotoxins work by binding to various receptors, so they must have positive and negative charged regions. An electric shock would frazzle those molecules by giving them extra electrons.

What's interesting also is it breaks down/neutralizes the part of the venom that destroys body tissue as well. Might be a good idea to have a zapper on hand, if going into an area with deadly snakes.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: NightFlight

NightFlight, baby...that's huge .......in my book...thanks

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Thank you for posting this, I've been "struck" at 3 times so far down here in Florida.

Our medical profit industry sucks @$$.

It's over 6 figures to treat a common rattlesnake bite.

Thanks, I'm getting a stungun for hiking now.

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 12:53 PM
link   

venomous - not poisonous - one of my pet peeves

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 05:29 PM
link   

This was a very interesting post. There actually is a website dedicated to this.
venomshot.wikidot.com

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Sounds like a lot of chiropractic nonsense. Those quacks are always trying to shock or rub a real problem away. They should stick to massage and stop pretending to be a branch of medicine with their non-scientific based mumbo jumbo.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Don't use a high voltage stun gun.

a low voltage cattle prod works a lot better in tests.
venomshock.wikidot.com...
even making a venom shocker from a harbor freight electric fly swatter works.
www.youtube.com...

But then i dare anyone to shock themselves with one of the 1,000,000+ volt stun guns 5 times on wet skin.

top topics

join