It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Say it... Trump was right! Countries Falling Short of Climate Change Promises

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Ok, I really don't expect many to actually admit Trump may have been right when he pulled the US out of the Paris Agreement. However, it's hard to deny it when you look at the truth of the matter as to what is really taking place.

Trump said that the agreement that we were under was just a bad deal and would have hurt us economically. He also stated that the US, according to this deal, would be sacrificing far more than any other country that was also part of the deal and that was a bad deal for us.

"It's an agreement that I have no problem with but I had a problem with the agreement that they (the Obama administration) signed because, as usual, they made a bad deal," he told reporters. "So we could conceivably go back in".

Mr Trump stressed his administration's commitment to environmental issues, "clean water, clean air", but added "we also want businesses that can compete". "The Paris accord really would have taken away our competitive edge, and we're not going to let that happen," he said.

BBC

A dew days ago, a report has come out about what the other countries were really doing. Unfortunately this report didn't make any waves. I just happen to stumble upon it.

It shows that countries are falling short and not pushing very hard to meet their promises. In fact, it shows that it might even be pointless.

“It’s not fast enough. It’s not big enough,” said Corinne Le Quéré, director of the Tyndall Center for Climate Change Research in England. “There’s not enough action.”

TWP

I'm fully expecting the rebuttal to be, "Well, Trump pulled out so all other countries aren't going to keep up with their promises", as though it will be Trump's fault and responsibility to see other countries through.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

They get rid of all those combustion engines yet?

Plastic?

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Regardless of what other countries end up doing the PCA was ALWAYS a series of promises. Trump never had to leave the accord and could have just renegged on the promises as these countries are doing. This was only supposed to be a stepping stone to cleaner air, not the end game.
edit on 21-2-2018 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Trump was always right-on. Climate Change was a Hoax from the start. It was created so our Government could out source US Company's to the highest bidder overseas. The restrictions put our companies to improve or be gone. We are going into a mini Ice Age.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 12:06 PM
link   

He just said what most of us already knew.
The targets were unrealistic.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 12:08 PM
link   
To any person reading this in the future...I and many are ashamed at the inaction and ignorance my generation have shown for the environment.
As you can see many of us are idiots sorry we fecked up the world.
G xxx

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Personally I prefer a leader who when faced with a choice makes a decisive move, no matter how much heat they might take. Making false promises then weaseling out of them was the last guy's schtick.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 12:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Regardless of what other countries end up doing the PCA was ALWAYS a series of promises. Trump never had to leave the accord and could have just renegged on the promises as these countries are doing. This was only supposed to be a stepping stone to cleaner air, not the end game.

That would be dishonest, though. I think it's more respectable to pull out and explain why than to stay in and lie about what you're doing.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 12:39 PM
link   

I mean, i guess thats one way to do things. But that speaking from both sides of the mouth isn't very respectable, now is it?

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: underpass61

Personally I prefer a leader who when faced with a choice makes a decisive move, no matter how much heat they might take. Making false promises then weaseling out of them was the last guy's schtick.

Well that's what he did. He weasled out of it. Just because the previous guy made the promise doesn't mean that he doesn't have to honor it when he assumed the Presidency.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

I mean, i guess thats one way to do things. But that speaking from both sides of the mouth isn't very respectable, now is it?

We, as a country, have no room to talk about what is and isn't respectable since we completely left the accord despite our promises.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

We, as a country, have no room to talk about what is and isn't respectable since we completely left the accord despite our promises.

OK, but that has nothing to do with this conversation or what I said. Its just a way to not admit you were incorrect while still replying, and is known as tu quoque

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

But I'm not incorrect. Why would I have to admit to being incorrect? The accord has always been a series of promises with no real driver to enforce it. So if a country falls short they won't be reprimanded or sanctioned or anything for it.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 01:22 PM
link   
If AL GORE doesn't get that $50 Trillion he needs to save the planet, he's going to label all of these penny-pinching countries traitors to humanity. Shame on them!

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 01:26 PM
link   

But I'm not incorrect. Why would I have to admit to being incorrect? The accord has always been a series of promises with no real driver to enforce it. So if a country falls short they won't be reprimanded or sanctioned or anything for it.

Boy, that sure sounds like a bad deal then, doesn't it? Seems a bit pointless if you promise something to someone with no expectation of ever honoring your promise and no real penalty when you fail to meet that promise. Isn't it better and more respectful to openly admit it is a bad deal and recuse yourself from the promises made prior to your arrival?

But, what do I know, I'm just one of those deplorables (but an honest one).

edit on 2/21/2018 by Krakatoa because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Sorry, but you can't weasel out of another person's promise. Trump called BS on it and shot it down. Like a real leader.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

It isn't/wasn't a "deal" to begin with. It's a series of promises to bring countries together on good faith to reduce the global carbon output. It wasn't until Trump that it was referred to as a "deal" and one we could be "losing" or have gotten a bad one.

Not everything is about winning and losing... I wish Trump and his supporters would attempt to understand that. Duality is dumb.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Sorry, but you can't weasel out of another person's promise. Trump called BS on it and shot it down. Like a real leader.

Trump is the President. The President made the promise. Just because the person inhabiting that office is different doesn't dampen the severity of that promise. The office of the President holds weight when it makes a promise and it shows weakness when you reneg on it.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa

Boy, that sure sounds like a bad deal then, doesn't it? Seems a bit pointless if you promise something to someone with no expectation of ever honoring your promise and no real penalty when you fail to meet that promise. Isn't it better and more respectful to openly admit it is a bad deal and recuse yourself from the promises made prior to your arrival?

But, what do I know, I'm just one of those deplorables (but an honest one).

Isn't another word for that, "Divorce"?

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Trump is the President. The President made the promise. Just because the person inhabiting that office is different doesn't dampen the severity of that promise. The office of the President holds weight when it makes a promise and it shows weakness when you reneg on it.

I really don't understand your logic.

Ok...

A president made the promise. Not THE president.

THE president is the current standing PoTUS.

A president made the promise.

THE president did not and pulled out because A president made a promise that could not be kept in the first place.

You're assuming that just because one did something, the other should accept that and just keep going along with the plan.

It doesn't work that way. It would defeat the purpose of electing the PoTUS in the first place. This is not how democracy works.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join