It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone here read Watership Down?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I'm reading it right now, and while it's a little hard to get over having rabbits as the main characters, I'm actually enjoying it quite a bit!

Wondering if anyone here has read it, and what you thought. I'm only half way through, so easy on the spoilers please!

Have we ever had an ATS book club? I think it would be really fun!

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 11:05 PM
link   
My mom read it to me.
I loved it!

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Check out my sig ...

Then you tell me if I have read it.

Actually, I'm on my third copy of the book.

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 11:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

I remember watching the movie when I was a kid. The mean rabbit scared the crap out of me.

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 11:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1
I'm reading it right now, and while it's a little hard to get over having rabbits as the main characters, I'm actually enjoying it quite a bit!

Wondering if anyone here has read it, and what you thought. I'm only half way through, so easy on the spoilers please!

It's been a long time since, but yes. If you enjoy it, I'd recommend 'Duncton Wood' as the next somewhat similar yarn.

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 11:31 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Did you ever read 'Duncton Wood'?

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 11:56 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 11:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: nwtrucker

Did you ever read 'Duncton Wood'?

No, I've not heard of that one.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Watership bloody down!!!,

Do not get me started!!!......

Not read the book but the movie and hell lets go for it the book should be burned with fire, how many people in their 30s where scared by this when they where little??, what the hell was my mum thinking in letting a 6 year old watch this carnage..

To say it scared me is a understatement, even today I cannot listen to the theme tune, at the end I cried like a onion cutter on steroids, yes it is a Cartoon but no child should ever be shown it!!!!..

I have a honestly held belief that seeing this at a young age will cause mental issues..

The other stupid f#cking "Cartoon" that was shown to me at school by all places was "When the wind blows"...

Not heard of it????...

Well get comfy my friends for this little chest nut, when I was about 8 or 9 we where herded into the TV room at Junior school to watch this graphic tail of what was going to happen if a Nuclear war head was detonated in the UK. Having to watch cartoon depictions of fall out along with music that was intended to cause emotion was way to much for many of us.

I remember clearly that straight after this rather than a debrief by the idiots we had for teachers where where simply let out in the playground for break, this would normally include getting the coats down for goal posts and sorting out the Football teams (Soccer to our American brothers and sisters).. But what happened??.. You could hear a f#cking pin drop. All of us just sat around not speaking many looking at the sky asking what the hell had we just seen???..

Honestly there are some things kids should never see the two examples above are good examples...

RA
edit on 17-2-2018 by slider1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 02:07 AM
link   
I believe Duncton Wood was written by another author hoping to cash in on the popularity of the concept. My parents had it.
For more books by Richard Adams, you might try The Plague Dogs. (Two escapers who are "plague dogs" only in the press, until the press switch their line to "poor little doggies")
Or Shardik. About a huge bear which accidentally (?) becomes sacred for a time.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 02:17 AM
link   
a reply to: slider1982

I saw this very young. While I wouldn't say I have mental issues, it did leave a lasting impression.

It's violent, scary, war propaganda.

Never forget the scenes where the rabbits were fighting. The scratching, biting off chunks and the blood.

That said, it feels like a part of our history and everyone should see it once.

Think I'll refrain from showing our 6 year old though, for a few years at least.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 05:09 AM
link   

I love that book!!

Together with Animal farm my favorite book...

Peace

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Never thought of reading the book, one of my favourite cartoons ever. Let us know how the book and movie compare please 👍🏻

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Fantastic book, have read it a few times. You're in for a treat

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 06:20 AM
link   
In response to those who read it or saw the movie as kids- what?! It's definitely not a kids' book! Who are these teachers who are reading or showing the movie to little ones? So I'll rephrase my answer to the OP: it's a great book of you're not a kid.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Never read the book but the movie , I saw it as a kid and really liked it. I mean I was disturbed by it, but totally intrigued. I saw it again recently it was on hulu. I would love to check out the book! Will have to do that now with all of these recommendations. My favorite part of the movie is the sea gull

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 10:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1

Yes a couple times. I've seen the movie too but it was kinda different. They merged some of the characters and changed the story a bit. It's still good though. But the book was one of my favourites when I was young. That and Lost in the Barrens were the two books I read the most as a kid.

I want to read Watership Down again now. I also remember some of the Redwall books were pretty good too. But I think those were for more of a younger audience.

originally posted by: KansasGirl
In response to those who read it or saw the movie as kids- what?! It's definitely not a kids' book! Who are these teachers who are reading or showing the movie to little ones? So I'll rephrase my answer to the OP: it's a great book of you're not a kid.

I read it the first time when I was 8 or 9...i'd already watched my grandpa die of cancer at that point rabbits dying really wasn't a problem.
edit on 17/2/2018 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

edit on 17/2/2018 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I saw the movie for Watership Down. The fighting didn't upset me, but when one of the characters dies and they play "Bright Eyes", that was really awful. I'd say the same about "Charlottes Web" and many other movies. Guess I was a city kid who didn't have any pets at the time.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

I have The Plague Dogs and Traveler (about Robert E. Lee's favorite horse who tells the tale of the Civil War).

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell
I saw the movie for Watership Down. The fighting didn't upset me, but when one of the characters dies and they play "Bright Eyes", that was really awful. I'd say the same about "Charlottes Web" and many other movies. Guess I was a city kid who didn't have any pets at the time.

No. Hazel didn't die. What you saw was Fiver's vision that led him to Hazel who was lying wounded after having been shot by the farmers trying to get the hutch rabbits out.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join