It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The US truck driver shortage

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 06:11 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

And if not then a union should force the company/corp to do it

All that a company needs to do in a case like wage increases is to start the deliberations off with the union as
"due to the needs of the business"
That one opening statement is all powerful when it comes to unions. Most deliberations end there.
Shop Steward with a major union for many years.

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 06:11 PM
link   

it was a machine shop but it was in a warehouse

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 06:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults

The first thing I do when I work for a company is talk to the older people and see what they think. If they are miserable day in and day out, not making enough money have old beat up cars, look tired and stressed out I quit.

Why not avoid that future for myself?

Yep, look in the parking lot, that tells a story right there. Lots of 1997 chevy cavaliers-move on.

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 06:13 PM
link   
You guys won't think this whole self-driving car thing is so hip once "human error" is factored into your insurance premium calculations as an additional risk.

You know, for being human.

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 06:17 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

I still think they have 10 years to go before it actually becomes a big impact. Besides the tech they have some serious liability issues to overcome.

Anyhow it sounds like everything is going to be good for everyone including the truck drivers.

Roads will be safer. Goods will be cheaper. Truckers will be called upon to use their skills in new ways while the truck itself becomes a trusted navigation partner,” the Embark website said.

LOL , right
edit on 18228America/ChicagoSat, 10 Feb 2018 18:18:21 -0600000000p2842 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 06:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: interupt42
a reply to: toysforadults

I still think they have 10 years to go before it actually becomes a big impact. Besides the tech they have some serious liability issues to overcome.

Anyhow it sounds like everything is going to be good for everyone including the truck drivers.

Roads will be safer. Goods will be cheaper. Truckers will be called upon to use their skills in new ways while the truck itself becomes a trusted navigation partner,” the Embark website said.

LOL , right

Cost/benefits will do away with any worries on the corporations side. Goods will have to cheaper-very few will be working.

And 10 years, maybe. We will see some sprinkling then it will pour.
edit on 10-2-2018 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 06:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

All that a company needs to do in a case like wage increases is to start the deliberations off with the union as
That one opening statement is all powerful when it comes to unions. Most deliberations end there.

This will not be easy.

I remember a documentary on Ford and how they stomped the shLt out of striking workers. It will not be easy.

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I have a friend that works as a diesel truck mechanic and he says they are always short on drivers.
The biggest reason according to his is that drivers want to be home every night.
That and a lot of them just don't want to work any more than they have to.

One of my other friends and his wife are owners of a truck and they make a good living.

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

We've made a pretty good living as lease operators. But it wears you down. You're constantly dealing with people that have never driven, and at times are riding your ass, they don't care if they get you home when you request (I've actually gotten loads that deliver on the day I wanted to be starting my home time, and delivered on the other side of the country from where I requested), if you're a company driver you have to be out at least 3 weeks to get 2-3 days home....

We're getting out within the next two years. We're only staying that long to run our current lease out.

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 06:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

originally posted by: BeefNoMeat

originally posted by: introvert
a reply to: Zaphod58

Unemployment is incredibly low and we simply do not have enough people to fill the positions we have. To combat that, wages will go up but that means the costs will be spread to the consumers.

The food industry, which is of course tied to the trucking industry, stands to see huge increases.

In the food industry, yes, but in the freighting industry, those workers have a much higher probability of benefiting from technological progress (i.e. GPS made freighting much more efficient than a bigger oven or sharper knives would make a food industry employ) and nullifying that additional cost by providing an equal measure of value-added. If continued technological progress in the form of self-driving freighter trucks is realized, truckers' wages are likely to stagnant in comparison to the food industry labor force. That seems to be the issue; truckers "see the writing on the wall" and until the truckers' labor market finds an equilibrium -- after pricing in the self-driving trucks -- too small of an incentive exists for new entrants to break into the truckers' labor market.

That is an important aspect as well that must be considered. In the short term, I do not see it playing much of a role though. As far as "value-added", that seems to be a common phrase used in which to justify increased prices.

What's an important aspect? What role?

Good thing "seems" isn't "ought"; in fact, I said the trucker her/himself, in conjunction with technology, will provide a "value-added" portion of the supply-chain that negates (nullifies) the increased cost of said technology (maybe completely washes the upward pressure on wages for drivers that might occur due to increased demand) that would NOT be passed on. But yeah, it seems from your posting history that there's quite a bit you'll reach for to 'justify' your take.

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 06:46 PM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

The big push right now is veterans. There's at least one company that is owned by Native American women that hires a lot of women, but it's not industry wide.

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 06:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

originally posted by: Gothmog

This will not be easy.

I remember a documentary on Ford and how they stomped the shLt out of striking workers. It will not be easy.

That is where most folks speak in error. In the conference room with company and union chiefs , it is not a "war" . I chalk up this misunderstanding to too many movies and "shop talk".It is actually negotiations with no yelling , name calling , etc. The company states their case and the union representatives state theirs. Then the deliberations begin.

And as far as "strikes" you can only get away with that one in a non right to work State . Most States ARE right to work.(or if not some of the non-right to work States' unions have clauses in their contracts with the company that closely resemble the right to work States)

I agree with Zaphod that companies are hiring much cheaper rookies rather than the veteran employee who would request more money. Unions would not solve this as you have to be hired for a company before you can join a union.
The companies are not going to hire the best for more (or at least a good part of the companies) .

It is all about executive bonuses and stock market value.

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 06:47 PM
link   
We're still seeing the beginnings of this at work with difficulty finding carriers to get our product moved at a price that doesn't force the company to raise the product cost. The owners are still firm on holding product cost where it is, but eventually something is going to have to give.

I've had a few conversations with drivers and amenities at our warehouse are an issue?
Was informed our's suck, but in all fairness they get what us workers get, so I wasn't impressed with the driver's "pain".
It's not like we're a Love's Truckstop!

However I also didn't know other places had apparently very nice facilities either. Just bringing it up since it's a "hidden incentive" I wasn't aware of that would make the Truckers job quality better. But I could see it being a real perk.

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Caver78

Some places are better than others. It's nice to have parking available on the facility, but there are a lot of places that take hours to load, and don't even allow us to use their bathroom. It's nice to have somewhere we can get off the truck for a few minutes, such as a break room, vending machines, and a bathroom. For me, personally, just having a nice bathroom for driver's use is a big plus. Most drivers don't expect truck stop level amenities, but we're already stuck on the truck 20+ hours a day. Being able to get off the thing for awhile helps.

A bigger plus is not having to sit there four plus hours getting loaded and unloaded.
edit on 2/10/2018 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Honestly,

Truck drivers keep this country going. There would be no society without them. I have seen what the population does when merchandise, including food, is not on the shelves.

Guess who got it to the shelves....

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 07:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

The pendulum has swung too far to the corps side.

I remember (in the 1980's) Federal Mogul in Michigan was going to strike for a contract dispute. And they were ignored til Fisher Body in Wyoming Mich was going to strike in support. The contract negotiations were handled. While talking is nice, sometimes force works better.

Right to work adds a new level of control from the corporations.

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 07:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

The pendulum has swung too far to the corps side.

I remember (in the 1980's) Federal Mogul in Michigan was going to strike for a contract dispute. And they were ignored til Fisher Body in Wyoming Mich was going to strike in support. The contract negotiations were handled. While talking is nice, sometimes force works better.

Right to work adds a new level of control from the corporations.

To sum up how I feel about the thread....
The US is not coming back from this one. Companies laying off the seasoned, experienced employees in favor of off-shoring to much cheaper help. Hiring just out of school employees cheaper . Then once the companies have gotten the good ideas from these , they are terminated as well.
I am so glad I am about to early retire again ( I got bored and returned to work with the same company and the same status). This time my early retirement will be for good.
It is a new world in the US now. I am glad I am ready to retire at any time. Just send an email and walk out...never to look back.

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 07:57 PM
link   

There is a housing correction coming the prices are to high.

Plan accordingly to keep that retirement.

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 08:05 PM
link   
This is where shipping companies are gonna have to cut cost in areas to give the drive better incentive.

blockchain solution

Give it a look. If a company wants to compete in the future one needs to invest in the future.

I was reading where this technology could save a shipping company 20-30% or more just by cutting out the middle man.

If you do not grow for the future, you become extinct in the past.
edit on 10-2-2018 by liejunkie01 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 08:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults

There is a housing correction coming the prices are to high.

Plan accordingly to keep that retirement.

My house is paid for.....

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join