It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Professionalism in the work place....WHERE has it gone?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 11:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

originally posted by: Lurker1

originally posted by: Gothmog
All companies are shedding their seasoned veterans for cheaper fresh out of school/college employees and outsourcing overseas. The bottom line now is stock value. No , not customers or professionalism , just stock value. They (the companies) use the money "saved" to buy back their "floating" shares in an attempt to gain value . Once the rookies get a bit of experience and have things a bit back on track (i.e. at raise time) they are shed as well leaving no time whatsoever to get the work ethics and experience in.
These businesses are actually losing customers (if there is any options at all) .
Its a brand new (messed up) world.

That's what happened in my "business". The governor broke the back of the state union. Everyone with time retired, which left rookies running the place.

Complete. Disaster.

But, hey, they saved the taxpayer a couple of bucks.

This has nothing to do with Unions. If a company want to let go folks , they just need to start the deliberations with the Union off with these words " Due to the needs of the business..." and any Union is powerless .
Shop Steward for 8 years with a Major Union

He busted the union because he felt we had too many good benefits. The only way to do that was to destroy our bargaining power by decertifying the union.

So, yes, the union was the key factor.

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 06:32 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 06:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: alexgrin
For some people being professional mean dressing smartly at work and doing a good job or just having advanced degrees. We can't do nothing with that. I think better to focus on making yourself better and don't judge others. Not so long ago I found a job of my dream at potentia.co.nz... in IT in New Zealand. I've been looking for it so long so now I'll try to do my best to become a real professional in this sphere. It's essential to develop professionalism for those who wants to succeed.

If only people here in the states thought that way. Professional attire to these people (the ones I've dealt with in various environments) is yoga pants and a long sleeve t-shirt and a face full of make up. No joke! It drives me insane. We are suppose to wear business professional and nowhere are yoga pants professional.

It just seems like people don't care about their actual job and blame pay or everything else as a reason. I make $13/hour, not a lot at all but I won't half arse do my job because i don't get paid enough. It's my job! I knew what I was getting paid when I applied. I knew what my job entailed. I love working in customer service and I like helping clients stay happy and making sure they stay with us. I don't like however my co-workers who don't care! They only seem to care about writing the policy and that is it, anything after that in their eyes is my job yet IMO when they write the policy it should be written correctly from the beginning. Names being spelled wrong, addresses off (which is insane because you see the property appraisers site for name AND address), apt numbers missing. It goes on and on and who gets chewed out? ME! Not the agent who wrote it. I do. I have save many clients who now come to me not their "agent" because they know I will actually help them and take care of their needs. Just yesterday I had a lady whose name was spelled wrong and for 2 years she told people yet nobody corrected it! Another had the wrong address on her auto which impacts rates! She too told people for 2 years and there is even a note yet nobody ever changed it in the system so when I did it changed her rates and she wasn't too happy. It's these kinds of things that back when i started working in service were never a problem. People were on top of that kind of stuff but now you are called "anal retentive" or "too nice" if you do your job. It drives me nuts. How is making sure things are documented correctly being anal retentive?!

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 11:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: mblahnikluver

originally posted by: alexgrin
For some people being professional mean dressing smartly at work and doing a good job or just having advanced degrees. We can't do nothing with that. I think better to focus on making yourself better and don't judge others. Not so long ago I found a job of my dream at potentia.co.nz... in IT in New Zealand. I've been looking for it so long so now I'll try to do my best to become a real professional in this sphere. It's essential to develop professionalism for those who wants to succeed.

If only people here in the states thought that way. Professional attire to these people (the ones I've dealt with in various environments) is yoga pants and a long sleeve t-shirt and a face full of make up. No joke! It drives me insane. We are suppose to wear business professional and nowhere are yoga pants professional.

It just seems like people don't care about their actual job and blame pay or everything else as a reason. I make $13/hour, not a lot at all but I won't half arse do my job because i don't get paid enough. It's my job! I knew what I was getting paid when I applied. I knew what my job entailed. I love working in customer service and I like helping clients stay happy and making sure they stay with us. I don't like however my co-workers who don't care! They only seem to care about writing the policy and that is it, anything after that in their eyes is my job yet IMO when they write the policy it should be written correctly from the beginning. Names being spelled wrong, addresses off (which is insane because you see the property appraisers site for name AND address), apt numbers missing. It goes on and on and who gets chewed out? ME! Not the agent who wrote it. I do. I have save many clients who now come to me not their "agent" because they know I will actually help them and take care of their needs. Just yesterday I had a lady whose name was spelled wrong and for 2 years she told people yet nobody corrected it! Another had the wrong address on her auto which impacts rates! She too told people for 2 years and there is even a note yet nobody ever changed it in the system so when I did it changed her rates and she wasn't too happy. It's these kinds of things that back when i started working in service were never a problem. People were on top of that kind of stuff but now you are called "anal retentive" or "too nice" if you do your job. It drives me nuts. How is making sure things are documented correctly being anal retentive?!

They are fortunate to have such a diligent and thorough employee OP. My advice to you would be .. keep your head down, avoid gossip at the water cooler, do your job... then ask for a reference from someone in highest position , and get out of that terrible office environment. There are more professional companies to work for, that would much appreciate your work ethic. Consider yourself a valuable resource and sell yourself that way. Don’t be afraid to let a potential future employer know you’re the type of employee that demands precise and accurate work from yourself and others you work with.

There are many in management dying to hire someone like you. Some may call you a perfectionist.. but that’s untrue. You’re simply an employee concerned with accuracy and good customer service.

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: mblahnikluver

Very few companies are union around here and the ones that are all I hear about are the fees they have to pay. Why do you pay fees? I'm curious as I don't really know all that much about unions.

My union dues pay for my retirement, health/dental/vision insurance plan, workmans comp. if hurt on the job and insure we get a fair wage... There are definite advantages to being part of large group with a common goal. I don't begrudge one penny of my Union dues.

The film/TV production companies we work for provide nothing for the Actors or crew other than wages and craft services.

But ESPN is a stand up company as is Netflix..imo.

edit on 16-2-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join