It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gyro

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Is "gyro" the world's most commonly mispronounced food? I've heard it pronounced several different ways, but no matter how you say it, you can't deny its deliciousness.

PS Cooking with me is usually chaotic, wild, and with certain elements of stress, flour everywhere, stuff on the stove that is on the verge of burning, etc... so picture that imagery as you read, if you'd like the full experience

Have you ever made your own gyro (YEE-ro.. lol) at home? I've made a few attempts, and have to say, it's usually pretty good, even where there has been major room for improvement. But the last recipe I made (this was last night) topped them all so far, so I thought I'd share, and feel free to share yours!

Most recipes call for a food processor for the meat and tzatziki sauce, but I don't own one and the meal came out fine.

To start with, I found a lb of ground lamb. Many recipes call for a lamb/beef combo, but I went with lamb only for this recipe as the lamb I had was ground more finely than the beef. It was a good choice.

I followed the recipe linked below for the gyro meat, (but added dried rosemary and a little extra salt) and something went terribly wrong with the cooking time.

Not sure if the problem is with my oven or the recipe times, but the lamb came out raw, didn't cook under my broiler (I suspect my broiler is broken.) and needed nearly twice as long to cook, at a higher temp, then stated in recipe. I am amazed that it came out tasting good, to be honest with you.

www.seriouseats.com...

The linked recipe used a version of tzatziki that called for mayo... I'm sure the recipe tasted good, but I opted instead for this recipe (no dill at home, so left it out. Also, since the lemon I had wasn't organic, I left out the zest. Yeah, sometimes I'm annoying hippiesh like that).
www.foodnetwork.com...

Now for home made bread, found this awesome and super easy 4 ingredient recipe, which worked perfectly with the lamb/tzatziki.
www.recipetineats.com...

So friends, that's it! It's a labor intensive task but really worth while when you take your first bite. I don't do food pics but trust they resembled the real deal!

Have a great day!
edit on 23-1-2018 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: zosimov

They're awesome.
I think it's gear o

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 02:32 PM
link   
every time I say Worcestershire, I'm corrected by someone, no matter how I say it...

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 02:35 PM
link   
i like to pronounce it a different way every time i say it, just kinda give all of them equal time.

gee-roh, gye-roh, hee-roh, hye-roh, covfefe

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 02:36 PM
link   

I just say that yummy Greek Sammich

Funny thing, I love them in the US, when I was in Europe I found the meat too strong/gamey for my taste.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Lol at the responses so far... glad I'm not alone in the pronunciation conundrum

originally posted by: fiverx313
i like to pronounce it a different way every time i say it, just kinda give all of them equal time.

This is the one that makes me laugh every time, dunno...

edit on 23-1-2018 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Man I really miss gyros. And just about every other type of non-American food. After relocating to the extremely rural are I'm in, there is literally no restaurants within 60 miles of me that serve anything but burgers and fries type food. Not that I don't like those, but I can easily make that myself.
Living in the woods is amazing and relaxing, but once in a while I just want some variety.
Sadly, the last time I went to the big city to the west of me I went in search of a place to eat, I was culture shocked. I couldn't find anywhere that didnt cater to the millenial circus freak show. I said screw it and went home hungry....

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Hewhowaits

You can make these!!! (I promise, if I can do it, you can do it.)

You shouldn't have trouble getting any of these ingredients, and they might be much tastier if you can get your meat from a local farm.

Good luck, if you try, let us know!

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Oh man, I hear ya!
I moved from a very cosmopolitan area to a very rural one.

My first week here I went to a taco joint. I almost died when I bit into my beef taco to find out it was literally pot roast shoved into some soft of stale taco shell. Pot roast, that is about as ethnic as it gets here.

I've driven a few of my friend to taste some real exotic cuisine, and all of them love it, they just haven't been exposed to it.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I make them all the time. I get the Gyro meat in a 3# box (pre sliced) and couple packs of frozen pita bread 10X2 at my local Gordons food service, they are also food distributors to Michigan and other states restaurants.

I have a local Mediterranean store where I buy the Tzatziki sauce and a nice local fruit and vegetable store to get the tomatoes and nice red onions.

Pretty fast and easy to make, I found that using a Wok for the pre sliced gyro meat works well for bigger batches, (two sandwiches). Other wise I just use a electric skillet.

Spiced lamb meat

• null

edit on 1 23 18 by Tophat21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 03:03 PM
link   

I already downloaded the recipes! Seeing as how I have an abundance of wild game( I hunt 90% of our meat), I'm going to try this with some venison.
I'm actually a good cook so it should turn out edible, or at least be a different twist for the ven.
Thanks for the inspiration!

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Mmmm, sounds really good! Nice, let us know!

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Actually it's pronounced "Year row". You're welcome.
edit on 1 23 18 by Tophat21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Will do.

And if spring ever comes, I should have a decent thread for you food guys.
I'm building an outdoor kitchen this year. I always wanted a wood fired pizza oven, and that started the idea. It's going to be a combination of pizza oven, smoker, dehydrator, outdoor canning station, and a place to fish fry and stuff. Wood firebox with a charcoal grill built-in to one of the sides.
The wife has already approved it, so I'm free to start when the weather allows.

The one goal I have for outdoor cooking this year is the 100% from here from scratch B.L.T.

Smoked bacon from a hog hunt
Fresh bread from wood fired oven.
Fresh lettuce, tomatoes from the garden.
Homemade fresh mayo.
A buddy of mine did this when we were teenagers, and to this day I drool at the thought of it...

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tophat21

Actually it's pronounced "Year row". You're welcome.

yeahhh but i live in america so i don't have to worry about pronouncing foreign words wrong, for the most part

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hewhowaits

Will do.

And if spring ever comes, I should have a decent thread for you food guys.
I'm building an outdoor kitchen this year. I always wanted a wood fired pizza oven, and that started the idea. It's going to be a combination of pizza oven, smoker, dehydrator, outdoor canning station, and a place to fish fry and stuff. Wood firebox with a charcoal grill built-in to one of the sides.
The wife has already approved it, so I'm free to start when the weather allows.

This sounds incredible! (As does the honorary first recipe).

Very much looking forward to your post.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

It's fun to watch people react to new food isn't it?

I thought i remembered you saying you were in wisconsin in a thread once- if your ever in the extreme northwest part of the state let me know, we can explore some food!

Edit: This offer stands for anyone who enjoys good food, good beer, and a good fire.

edit on 23-1-2018 by Hewhowaits because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 03:26 PM
link   

The only Wisconian I know is one of the most innovative/creative people I've ever met! She built her own home, root cellar (and it is amazing looking!), cans, gardens, welds, paints, reupholsters... etc...

Funny hearing your post about your proposed kitchen.. sounds like something she'd absolutely love. lol

Wisconsin.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 03:33 PM
link   

You'd be surprised how many extremely capable and beautiful women are around up here.

Your friend sounds like my friend Beth who runs a bar just down the road from me. Damn good pizza. Which reminds me, I haven't had a pizza in a while.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Oh lord you're in the land of the translation between Greek and English,It looks like the word for gyro and in what we'd expect with helicopters but sounds totally different in Greek

top topics

<<   2 >>

join