It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homeschooling does it need more regulation?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 11:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

We also rarely hear about the dark side of baby bunnies, Bob Ross, clean drinking water, breasts, Tom Hanks, Fred Rogers, good hygiene practices, being polite, people who pick up after their pet, orgasms, and, of course, the smell of cookies baking... wonder why that is?

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 08:02 AM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Baby bunnies ... *shudder*

Now there's some evil and darkness right there that no one tells you about ...

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 08:25 AM
link   
no more regulation...that's friggin the evil problem we have to live through now...

home schooling is outpeforming govt school and demolishing the false bias of the new since the 80's reagan school takeover in curriculum...written about by a famous woman who screams the crap we have now in schools is evil....

school for four hours....and no daily homework......find another way to affect the youths minds than homework in math or history....like community aid, awareness or activity not involving dividing fractions for hours or diagraming sentences till you're a senior in high school....chitt boys

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 11:08 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I think home schooling needs some regulation, but that really only addresses part of the issue. Making home schooling less attractive or impossible doesn't solve the fundamental issue that parents obviously feel the schools aren't up to the task of educating.

That's the real issue we need to fix. Encouraging more to take up teaching as a profession, getting more highly skilled teachers, and so on. In some states, teachers make as little as $10/hour while in other nations teaching is a highly competitive 6 figure job.

A lot of teachers just aren't very good, and that's causing parents and their children to drop out of the system. That doesn't mean the parents are doing a good job either (regulations might help fix that), but it would never even be an issue if the schools were better in the first place.

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I think many home schooling only need about 3 hours per day to exceed state schools, so done right they are good. Remember schools in general are a daycare scenario.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 06:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Remember schools in general are a daycare scenario.

And parents have relinquished their parental responsibilities to the the system.

Too many parents are clueless about what goes on with their child when they are in school. They have no idea what they are being taught and even homework is being phased out so those parents that did try to keep a finger on the pulse, are being pushed further into the dark.

The system tells you what is best for your child and if you disagree then you are obviously an unfit parent.

I shiver when I think of how the further generations will rate us. I know we have failed, I am just terrified of what our failures are going to look like for further generations.

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: NightSkyeB4Dawn

The system tells you what is best for your child and if you disagree then you are obviously an unfit parent.

I shiver when I think of how the further generations will rate us. I know we have failed, I am just terrified of what our failures are going to look like for further generations.

My kids are doing great, we talk a lot, we talk every day about school. My wife follows everything they do in school too to make sure they are completing all assignment etc, but she does need to bug the crap out of many teachers...Seems many are lazy.

(post by DanBryant removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 12:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
a reply to: Annee

We also rarely hear about the dark side of baby bunnies, Bob Ross, clean drinking water, breasts, Tom Hanks, Fred Rogers, good hygiene practices, being polite, people who pick up after their pet, orgasms, and, of course, the smell of cookies baking... wonder why that is?

Home Schoolers Anonymous.

homeschoolersanonymous.org...

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 01:16 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 3 2019 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Wonder why they are against it, maybe we are sending our children to the brainwashing camp?

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 06:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: JamesHyder

originally posted by: jjkenobi
USA Public schools are awful. Check the statistics. Compare us to other countries. You'll see it's awful. I have kids on elementary school. Common Core was hilariously terrible. Thank God my state ditched it. I can't wait to see what middle and high school of public education have in store instead of making me write me an essay. I'm still debating to put my kids in private school after elementary so they have a chance in this world.

Choosing a private school for your children is a good choice, while in public schools sector still much work needs to be done in order to improve it. Moreover in private schools teachers are motivated to work harder, therefore children will get more knowledge and skills crucial for survival.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 06:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

It isn't just that parents feel that schools aren't up to the task of educating.

There is also the problem that many of the kids who show up at school aren't ready to be educated because their parents haven't raised them to have the modicum of basic social skills so teachers spend too much time trying to get them to just sit down, shut up, and behave instead of terrorizing their classmates.

When you have too much of that situation in a school or classroom, very little productive learning can take place for any kid no matter who competent the teacher may or may not be at it.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 07:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Estamay
I am interested in seeing if there is a change in attitude towards home schooling since January 2018.

Back in 2018 I only had one family member that home schooled. Since then two of her children are now in a very prestigious private school where she works, and they excelling. The one child that completed his home school education received offers from several universities for academic excellence. I presently have one family member is another prestigious private same sex school, that is also excelling.

Now, I don't have the time or the stomach for sharing all the nightmare events that have happened with those family members that have their children in public school. Two of which are in magnet schools in the worse part of town you can imagine.

I am not saying that a child can't receive a good education in a public school today, but it is truly a challenge that involves a lot of hands on and in your face interaction from the parents.

It seems to me the pendulum has greatly shifted. There are more problems for children in public school than with those home schooled.

From my experience.

edit on 4-9-2019 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 07:46 AM
link   
The problem with home schooling is that if the parent teaching the kid is an idiot, more than likely, the kid will end up being one also.
The problem with private schools is that they are costly and many cant take advantage of them.
Both options should have to prove their competancy in the basic skills at least to the point where the kid can get a firm grasp on language and math skills. If the kid can read, write, and do basic math at least he could at least have a chance to fill in the gaps in his parents knowledge base.
People who think that these two options could replace the public school system that is open to all kids, regardless of income, and staffed with trained teachers following educational guidelines set forth to provide a standard educational base for all children, need to think a little harder on that one. The idea that the govt will hand out vouchers to those that need additional funding to pay tuition for private schools, which more than likely will see insane inflation just like we've seen in college tuition and healthcare, and every kid will get a better education just isnt consistent with what we see when we look at either healthcare or higher education. And, more and more parents will have home schooling as their only option. For many kids it will mean that intellectually, they will only be able to reach as far an their parents before them.
The farmers som will have no other option but to be a farmer himself because that was the only skill his father knew to teach him. Putting us back a few centuries.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 08:02 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

As someone who was taken out of public school after Junior High and spent the next three years home schooled before quitting (due to family issues), then got my G.E.D., then graduated from college not once but twice, NO we don't need to be regulated we need the rest of the world to worry just about themselves.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Beach Bum
I agree with you. I work with young people that have been victims of trauma that come from all walks of life, all races, ideologies, financial, and family backgrounds.

I see enough of these children to know that we have more problems with who is making the decisions in our schools, and government influence, than we do with the children that attend those schools.

When I was a teen I had to travel over 25 miles to have access to a library to do my research. I have always been what my friends lovingly call an "info junky", research was my ice cream. Today children walk around with all the knowledge known to man in the palm of their hands, and more suffer from illiteracy then when I was a teen.

Being in the country were agriculture was king, many chose vocational school over the standard public high school, this proved to be very practical for a large number of the folk in the area.

Like others have said, our schools have become a baby sitting and brainwashing enterprise. Our school system is failing our children and we are being blind sided because we trust that our government cares what happens to our children. It doesn't.
edit on 4-9-2019 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar
The problem with home schooling is that if the parent teaching the kid is an idiot, more than likely, the kid will end up being one also.

Ironically, one of my primary gripes about public schools... the teachers are mostly imbeciles.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: ManFromEurope

The K-12 program is online. The parents only have to get a computer and make sure the kid sits at it everyday.

They are tested. And they dont go ahead unless they pass just like a school.

Home schooling has changed in just the past few years and is a managed education.

I do not have any children in school. Well not in public school.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

I had amazing teachers.
One who was so strict she made you keep two notebooks. One taken in class written in pencil and the other where the days lesson was transcribed in blue ink with red underlines. No cross outs. That was part of the homework every day as well as other lessons on the covered material.
Another who built the literature lessons around rock and roll songs.
They were inspiring and supportive.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join