It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Origin and Evolution of Cells

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 04:10 PM
link   
TsarChasm linked an article from NCBI which is an outstanding compendium on the origin and evolution of cells. A lot of questions which are posted on this board can be answered by going through this material. It's very detailed and the illustrations are excellent.

Cells are divided into two main classes, initially defined by whether they contain a nucleus. Prokaryotic cells (bacteria) lack a nuclear envelope; eukaryotic cells have a nucleus in which the genetic material is separated from the cytoplasm. Prokaryotic cells are generally smaller and simpler than eukaryotic cells; in addition to the absence of a nucleus, their genomes are less complex and they do not contain cytoplasmic organelles or a cytoskeleton (Table 1.1). In spite of these differences, the same basic molecular mechanisms govern the lives of both prokaryotes and eukaryotes, indicating that all present-day cells are descended from a single primordial ancestor. How did this first cell develop? And how did the complexity and diversity exhibited by present-day cells evolve?

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Dont need the credit, it was a simple google search. But maybe someone will learn something. Im happy to contribute.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Phantom423

Glabba drabba nabba...

If the first cell wasn't able to replicate how did the second cell appear?

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 04:47 PM
link   
The interesting thing about cells, is that not only does it contain all of the design needed for mammals to evolve, but for all the other myriad lineages of life that support a habitable planet. For example, phytoplankton not only feeds starts the food chain, but provides oxygen for the atmosphere. Without all the organisms on Earth, we would not have an atmosphere that protects us from space, for larger more complex organisms to evolve in the first place. The cell not only contains the design for a complex organism but the design for an adaptable symbiotic system where myriads of lineages of living things support each other to create a habitable planet.

And beyond that it contains culture - like Music and art, Giligans Island, Quantum computing, planes, trains and skyscrapers.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 04:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Glabba drabba nabba...

Q - What did one cell say to the other cell?
A - Its time to split

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Glabba drabba nabba...

How do you know the first cell couldn't replicate?

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Cell - a small room in which a prisoner is locked up or in which a monk or nun sleeps.

And Satan, the Great Nucleus, declareth "Build that Wall!" and the Cell was formed.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 04:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: nOraKat
The interesting thing about cells, is that not only does it contain all of the design needed for mammals to evolve, but for all the other myriad lineages of life that support a habitable planet. For example, phytoplankton not only feeds starts the food chain, but provides oxygen for the atmosphere. Without all the organisms on Earth, we would not have an atmosphere that protects us from space, for larger more complex organisms to evolve in the first place. The cell not only contains the design for a complex organism but the design for an adaptable symbiotic system where myriads of lineages of living things support each other to create a habitable planet.

And beyond that it contains culture - like Music and art, Giligans Island, Quantum computing, planes, trains and skyscrapers.

You're wrong in thinking all life needs oxygen, or that there needs to be some "design" for animals to evolve. Evolution is simply the result of mutations in DNA.

Anaerobic organims don't need oxygen in the atmosphere. First organisms on Earth "breathed" the primitive atmosphere, which was created by volcanic gasses.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 04:31 AM
link   
a reply to: wildespace

I don't think I made the statement - "All life needs oxygen".

I won't get into a debate with you on the other points.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 09:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phantom423

Glabba drabba nabba...

How do you know it could?

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Evolution is simply the result of mutations in DNA.

Mutation favors disease and debilitation, not advances.

Thats like saying if I shoot you with a gun and you heal you may improve.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phantom423

Glabba drabba nabba...

How do you know it could?

Because we're here and our cells divide and replicate. The cell type that survives to this day came from a distribution of similar organelles. The best fit for survival was the cell type we have today.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Because we're here and our cells divide and replicate.

Because they were designed that way.

Life was brought here.

You can no more prove me wrong than prove how cells 'learned' to divide. But anyway the first cell had to already know that or couldn't replicate.

Insinuating that somehow a cell 'appeared' that knew how to divide already is laughable.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Because we're here and our cells divide and replicate.

Because they were designed that way.

Life was brought here.

You can no more prove me wrong than prove how cells 'learned' to divide. But anyway the first cell had to already know that or couldn't replicate.

Insinuating that somehow a cell 'appeared' that knew how to divide already is laughable.

Sure I can. A laboratory experiment could be designed with various types of organelles that resemble cells. The samples are challenged with different environments (temperature, pressure, water, nutrition). Over a period of time, some will survive and some will not. The ones that survive fit the model that I posted above.

You obviously didn't read the article from NCBI. Nothing just "appears" which is exactly what you're suggesting with the exception that some entity placed it, fully functional, on this planet. It's easy to accept that conclusion when you don't know how science, specifically biology, works.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Sure I can. A laboratory experiment could be designed with various types of organelles that resemble cells.

"Organelles". you mean organic life?

Tilt.

You still have to prove life evolved from inorganic matter in electric mud puddles...

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Sure I can. A laboratory experiment could be designed with various types of organelles that resemble cells.

"Organelles". you mean organic life?

Tilt.

You still have to prove life evolved from inorganic matter in electric mud puddles...

or·gan·elle ˌôrɡəˈnel/ noun BIOLOGY any of a number of organized or specialized structures within a living cell.

You obviously don't know anything about biology. Not worth my time. Thanks anyway.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: AdKiller
Cell - a small room in which a prisoner is locked up or in which a monk or nun sleeps.

And Satan, the Great Nucleus, declareth "Build that Wall!" and the Cell was formed.

Is that theory called "Stupid Design"?
edit on 1 21 18 by Barcs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Sorry to sound harsh, but that is a complete lie.

No, it's really not.

It's funny the lengths you folks go through to deny science.
edit on 1 21 18 by Barcs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Evolution is simply the result of mutations in DNA.

Not even close. The overwhelming majority of mutations are neutral. Neither harmful nor beneficial to the organism in question. If a trait is harmful to the organism then that organism is far less likely to reproduce than an organism with neutral or beneficial mutations.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join