It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TIME: 'Sorry Vegans, Meat-Eating Made us HUMAN!'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 02:50 PM
link   
time.com...

A brain is a very nutritionally demanding organ, and if you want to grow a big one...

Umm.. but dolphins, monitor lizards, tegus, anoles, some tortoises and even shrews often have higher brain-to-body mass ratios than humans! Nevertheless, we are told meat-eating somehow 'made' us bigger brains and human.

My question would be, considering supermarkets nationwide go empty within hours at the drop of an MSM hat, how do we get back to Eden?!
Is it more feasible for every human to forage on farmed or wild fruits and veggies daily, or to raise/hunt bovines and porcines for their burgers and pork chops when prolonged disasters strike as across human history they often do? When all cows and hogs die off during periodic calamities, how do you replenish them, from seed?!

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Sorry meat-eaters but new study puts a damper on your eating habits. I would like to see a study on how to properly balance our diets.

There’s more bad news for lovers of red meat and refined grains — also known as a Western diet — from cancer researchers. A new study has found that a pro-inflammatory diet that’s heavy in processed red and organ meat, refined grains, and sugary drinks, will significantly increase the risk of developing colorectal cancer in both men and women.

globalnews.ca...

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Planette

It is more feasible to raise bovines and porcines, that is why humanity moved from hunter gathers to an agricultural based model.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Is it more feasible for every human to forage on farmed or wild fruits and veggies daily, or to raise/hunt bovines and porcines for their burgers and pork chops when prolonged disasters strike as across human history they often do?

No it's not feasible to do it like great grandfather to the what the hell ever power did.

Humans still hunt, and still gather only the locations changed.

Fast Food/Supermarkets, to the new deal the Amazon market place, and others.

For the human species to continue to survive there will be the next technological leap if we are going to continue as a species.

Vertical gardening, and cloning is my guess.

Take the environment out of the equation. That's been the limiting factor.

Urban sprawl has taken away much of the land that use to sustain us.

Economics is decreasing the number people that use to produce for us.

The human species is at a cross roads.

Which one we take ?

I have no effing idea.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 03:14 PM
link   
So if we can get monkeys to eat meat daily, they will spontaneously 'evolve' and join our great species in intelligence?

Better get those monkeys to start eating meat. Then there is no need for AI. We will have MI (Monkey Intelligence).

I'm not buying it though.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 03:24 PM
link   
WE are omnivours, but the part that makes us smart is we are scavengers. We age our food, the glutamate and tyramines and our adaption to utilizing them actually increased our intellect. We think different, we can memorize more than most other animals because of these adaptions. The weasel is smart, so are other scavangers that eat aged meats and foods. Most meateaters do not eat aged meat, even our cooking is quickly aging food, breaking it down to partially digest it so we can use it. We cherish tyramine foods or tyramine like foods, like coffee with caffeine and beer and wine. Sugar is even a tyramine like food, it increases our speed of thinking.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Elementalist
So if we can get monkeys to eat meat daily, they will spontaneously 'evolve' and join our great species in intelligence?

Better get those monkeys to start eating meat. Then there is no need for AI. We will have MI (Monkey Intelligence).

I'm not buying it though.

Well, nobody has tried it yet...we only know how to shock the monkeys at this point.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 03:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight
Sorry meat-eaters but new study puts a damper on your eating habits. I would like to see a study on how to properly balance our diets.

There’s more bad news for lovers of red meat and refined grains — also known as a Western diet — from cancer researchers. A new study has found that a pro-inflammatory diet that’s heavy in processed red and organ meat, refined grains, and sugary drinks, will significantly increase the risk of developing colorectal cancer in both men and women.

globalnews.ca...

I bet if they removed the meat and left the grains/sugar they would get the same results. Clever of them to take the foods that cause chronic inflammation (sugar & grain) tie them in with meat and come to these conclusions.

I wonder what the results would be with the meat in a keto diet? We can't have that now. It would cause to much pain and suffering from lost profits for both the ag companies and medical conglomerates out there.

A healthy populace would be the final nail in this economy.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: ClovenSky

originally posted by: InTheLight

globalnews.ca...

I bet if they removed the meat and left the grains/sugar they would get the same results. Clever of them to take the foods that cause chronic inflammation (sugar & grain) tie them in with meat and come to these conclusions.

I wonder what the results would be with the meat in a keto diet? We can't have that now. It would cause to much pain and suffering from lost profits for both the ag companies and medical conglomerates out there.

A healthy populace would be the final nail in this economy.

Yes, interesting, that this may be a flawed study because they did not mix it up. Balance even in methodology?
edit on 01CST03America/Chicago04230331 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 03:53 PM
link   
false, carbs made us humans, brains needs carbs to function well.. brains needs energy which is fast. The rise of mankind goes hand in hand with learning to use grains as energy.
edit on 20-1-2018 by dollukka because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I can't believe this crap is up for debate again, no offense to the OP or the thread at all, but jeez. A well balanced diet, really? eat some fruits and vegetables, a little lean meat, and some good grains, stay away from a lot of dairy, but damn, everything in moderation. I'm in really good shape, and eat whatever I want, I have cheat days too. It's natural to crave certain foods, and you should have a well rounded diet. If you want meat, eat meat, if you want plant, eat plant, but I can't see depriving yourself of obvious nutritional value by cutting paramount things completely out of your diet.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

I am leaning more towards deliberate misinformation versus a lapse in judgement or methodologies.

I started looking and there are a lot of articles out there that are already showing benefits of a long term adherence to the keto diet.

bigthink.com...

Ketogenic Diets Have "Profound Effect on Brain Function," Studies Find

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

Long-term effects of a ketogenic diet in obese patients

I am also starting to think that there needs to be a mental aspect to this as well. A person will need to believe it works. Maybe that attitude is just beneficial because a person who truly believes in the method, will stick closer to that way of life (diet).

I have been keto for 4 years now and will never look back. I don't really need to discipline myself anymore to stay within the parameters because when I cheat, the reaction is almost instantaneous. The memories from the pains I experience as my body tries to rid itself of the poison keeps me honest for 2-3 months at least.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 04:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: dollukka
false, carbs made us humans, brains needs carbs to function well.. brains needs energy which is fast. The rise of mankind goes hand in hand with learning to use grains as energy.

Hmmm, I had thought that our body can make all of the glucose the brain needs.

www.mangomannutrition.com...

For centuries, remote civilizations like the Eskimos and Masai have subsisted on a near-carnivorous diet containing little to no carbohydrates from fruits and vegetables. This stands to reason that our brains don’t require carbohydrates at all, and are capable of operating perfectly in a glucose-poor environment. How is this possible?

On low- or no-carbohydrate diets, your liver and brain participate in a coordinated metabolic symphony. Your liver takes on the job of making the fuel for your brain, and your brain responds by adapting to a new fuel source.

Fuel #1: The liver converts protein into glucose and sends it to the brain for immediate use.

Fuel #2: The liver converts fat into ketone bodies and sends them to the brain as an alternative fuel.

Ketone Bodies are Your Brain’s Alternate Fuel Source

A high intake of protein and fat provide the building blocks for an alternate brain fuel – ketone bodies. Think of ketone bodies as a secondary fuel source for your brain when carbohydrates are running low.

But I guess anyone can cherry pick articles to suit their personal views. One thing I know, I am not dead yet from the keto diet. In fact, I am probably healthier now then when I was 18.

Maybe different types of bodies react differently to different food sources. Eat for your blood type?

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Planette

Umm.. but dolphins, monitor lizards, tegus, anoles, some tortoises and even shrews often have higher brain-to-body mass ratios than humans! Nevertheless, we are told meat-eating somehow 'made' us bigger brains and human. 

Umm...you're aware that you just listed off a bunch of other carnivores there, right? So....

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 04:31 PM
link   
It's not really the case that we are smart BECAUSE we eat meat. It's that predators are smarter than their prey. They are curious and their need for nutrition keeps them on the move and exploring their environment. Predators hunt, and for that they need brains just as much as they need sharp teeth.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 04:36 PM
link   
i think what they are alluding to is that having to hunt meat sources was the trigger for higher brain development due to the difficulty of matching brainpower with another creature. i wouldnt take the whole study theyve done too seriously though. its based on assumptions.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 05:58 PM
link   
In the Stupid book!
it said god took ables Gift of weet,
over caines meat!

we are not in the garden any more!
we are FREE! not children.

He dont want us as equles.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Pretty sure "dolphins" arent eating oranges and quinoa

I swear do some of you even read what you put out, or ??

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 06:20 PM
link   
How is fish and poultry MEAT?!

Enquiring brain (not quite as intelligent as dolphins and tortoises per brain/mass ratio) wants ta know..

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: SailorJerry

we are supposed to be omnivores eating meats and vegetables...you can tell from looking at our teeth

<<   2 >>

join