It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gun Ownership & How Obtaining Medical Marijuana (MM) Can Change That

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 08:10 PM
link   
There is some discussion among my colleagues because this story seems to be percolating higher and higher in the news.

At issue is how federal and states' marijuana laws intersect with federal and states' firearms laws--and how obtaining a state license or permit to purchase and possess marijuana for medical purposes can make a person ineligible to own or possess a firearm. I haven't seen this discussed here yet, so I thought I'd get your take on this.

Here's a Nov 17 article regarding the situation in Hawaii; it's the only state that requires registration of all firearms:

reason.com...

The sticky point is for persons that currently own firearms. If they apply for and obtain the MM license/permit, they will probably be in violation of federal or state firearms law. What about people that work in security or other jobs that may require them to carry?

Is this something that's kicking around in your neck of the woods?

Cheers and be safe out there
edit on 13-1-2018 by TheTruthRocks because: Draft 1 has been corrected! This is draft 2
|

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 08:42 PM
link   
a reply to: TheTruthRocks

Unless I am mistaken, it's already been done here in Colorado.

Honestly though, working with databases, the last thing I'd ever do is be on BOTH of those lists.

However, it also would not be in the slightest bit difficult for the Feds to correlate CC and DC purchases of legalized non medical marijuana to the cardholders that are also in the registry of legal gun permit holders. Wouldn't be difficult in the slightest, not for government agencies. Hell, even for the places that only accept cash they usually have ATM's right there in the building. Again, cross reference those ATM withdrawals with the registry of legal gun permit holders.

There are times that I truly hate knowing what I know. But I'd prefer to know than be in the dark.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 09:15 PM
link   
My 2 cents on life in general:

- you have no rights you will not assert yourself
- applying for a license is an admission you dont have a right and must seek permission
- assert your rights, stop licensing your freedom
edit on 1/13/2018 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 09:51 PM
link   

If you need marijuana for psychological reasons then you probably shouldn't have a gun.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 09:57 PM
link   

According to their laws, everyone and anyone who uses illegal drugs can't own a firearm.
So technically, they can legally take a bunch of guns.

Why give them another reason?
You don't need a medical card to get cannabis.
At least, I never did over the years.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Just buy pot from your friends like 90% of America and your good! In some ways, it is better for MJ to stay illegal, because of how many peoples friends can stay in business. If it was decriminalized the industrial scale producers would saturate the market with their cheap pre-rolled packaged versions. Sure some will still buy that good grade from their close friends, but low cost wins on a mass scale over quality typically.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 10:24 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Amen brother. You buy your guns face to face as legalally allowed and carry them the same. If you ccw and imprint you can be fined...so if you few right no one should be none the wiser...so you not having a few yet carrying correctly they will be none the wiser. Its pointless...and if I do in fact need it then I'd rather he judged by 12 rather than carried by 6.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 10:26 PM
link   
a reply to: havok

Same...just because you can go to a store doesn't mean you need to...

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 11:37 PM
link   
You notice that more and more the government is allowing people to legally use MJ. So that means that if they live in a house the house needs to be gun free too. If a kid has a card, he/she may not eventually be allowed to live with their parents or relatives with guns.

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Yeah, I can see where otherwise law-abiding citizens will be criminalized by this.

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 03:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
My 2 cents on life in general:

- you have no rights you will not assert yourself
- applying for a license is an admission you dont have a right and must seek permission
- assert your rights, stop licensing your freedom

Yup, Just don't get caught.

By the way, a report from you family Doctor or even a school councilor at your children's school can get Gun permits revoked.

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Yes true story,why people don't register guns,if you work with the Govt,you'
ll be working against your rights,result of liberals in office the old"we will give you this,but take 2 freedoms away"

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 04:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
Just buy pot from your friends like 90% of America and your good! In some ways, it is better for MJ to stay illegal, because of how many peoples friends can stay in business. If it was decriminalized the industrial scale producers would saturate the market with their cheap pre-rolled packaged versions. Sure some will still buy that good grade from their close friends, but low cost wins on a mass scale over quality typically.

Your good what? There is no good there.

People do stuff and think it's good, but after the first time, it's all chasing some high they remember but can never reproduce.

Much better to be clean, sober and in control of your own thoughts and actions. What you can reproduce is the good feeling you get from training and sweating and your own body and its neurotransmitters.

If you can do it naturally, wouldn't that be better? It is possible. Without it, people go back to school even after several decades and do better than all the young students.

Don't do it; go back to school.

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 05:21 AM
link   
a reply to: RedmoonMWC

What guns?

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 09:08 AM
link   
OP, you are exactly right. This is a conspiracy to dis-arm the people. They will do this with their perverted law. They use representatives (lawyers) of representatives (legislature) to bring court 'cases', that in fact have no plaintiff whatsoever (other than people claiming to represent others). FYI, this is contempt of court because of a fictitious plaintiff.

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: craterman

See....the rules against MJ and felons specifically were, in the opinions of many, simply a way to disarm black folks. Since laws were created and enforced to marginalize black people (or not...but that was the outcome regardless), ome could rightfully claim it had an adverse impact on black people for decades.

Now the government is using the same tactic against everyone else it becoming a problem. We should have never ignored it

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I agree. For God's sake don't allow those MJ puffing psychos to own guns. It's OK for them to drink themselves silly, pop any combination of Zoloft, XANAX, Ritalin or whatever 'cause those are 'good' drugs but no devil's weed. And if they're paranoid, schizophrenic, bi-polar or whatever, that's ok. But no weed! Hell to the no!

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I have bought several new firearms, and as unconstitutional as it may be, I am forced to fill out an ATF form. That form specifically asks you if you are addicted to a few different substances. MJ is on that list. This is why they are legalizing, and not only that, they are steering the discussion around legal or not, not addressing the firearm issue. They want the people demanding their own demise. They are Satanic POS.

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 12:42 PM
link   
The only reason states are beginning to legalize pot is because they're seeing dollar signs in an industry that has until now excluded them from participating.

I am not into weed (never have been) and I never have more than one or two alcoholic drinks at a stretch because I don't need to escape from my reality. I feel better when I'm fully in control of my behavior. The last thing I'd want is to have to invoke the ol' "I was intoxicated" excuse to explain something really stupid that I did. My words and conduct are probably the things most sacred to me. Part of maintaining that straight-and-narrow approach to life is keeping as much poison out of my brain as I can. It's not easy. But despite this, life is never boring for me!

Many of my friends drink what I consider a lot, but that is not my business unless it presents a danger to me. Some of them are weed heads, and when the weed comes out, I leave. No problem with that either. Everyone has vices (I have mine). But the difference between booze and weed is the current law: weed is illegal and booze is not, period. It has nothing to do with what's better or worse for a person, or how their effects are the same. It's law. Not too many years ago, booze was illegal.

It's all puritanical BS, really. Humans are going to poison themselves no matter what the law says--because that is human nature. We all deal with reality in our own ways

The more laws we have, the less rights we have as law-abiding citizens. Seat belt and helmet laws are the same sort of BS. I'm not saying I thing seat belts and helmets are a bad idea; I wear a seat belt when I'm in a vehicle and I wear a helmet when I'm on a bike. But *mandating* their use chips away at personal freedoms. Every seemingly small law like this moves that personal-freedoms line a little farther from your toes. It's something a citizenry gets used to after a while, and before long, that freedoms line is a mile away and everyone throws their hands up in confusion, wondering what the hell went wrong.

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Not everyone uses marijuana for psychological reasons.

Some use it for fun....

edit on 14-1-2018 by Fowlerstoad because: always edit. maybe sometimes twice.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join