It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking: 7.8 EQ hits Caribbean

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 05:07 AM
link   
Fingers x for all living in the area.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Not the horses mouth, two hours old...

The quake was very shallow, at only 6.2 miles (10 km), which would have amplified its effect.

A tsunami advisory was in effect for Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands after the quake, according to the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center, but subsequent model forecasts indicated no tsunami threat to those areas.

cnbc

Weird... shallow and strong enough, but no Tsunami?
edit on 10-1-2018 by intrptr because: bb code

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

My thought as well intrptr. I figured it was my lack of knowledge on the subject, so I will have to defer to those with more knowledge here but isn't this pretty unusual? Especially for a quake of such magnitude so close to shorelines?

Not to be conspiratorial or anything.... don't certain types of weapon tests also cause significant quakes?
edit on 1/10/2018 by JBurns because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Lucky the Antipodes map of this puts it in the Indian ocean off Australia watch for a quake there in the days to come

www.antipodesmap.com...

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 12:09 PM
link   
the no tsunami thing might be because the EQ might have been a slip-slide movement between the adjoining tectonic plates instead of thrust upward/downward like the Indonesian EQ that thrust the seafloor 10' up & thus caused a tsunami

?? the carribean plate might relieve or strain the New Madrid fault in times to come...

what's the prediction--- the gulf of mexico will empty into the Great Lakes thus dividing the continental USA lower 48 States !

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 07:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: St Udio

?? the carribean plate might relieve or strain the New Madrid fault in times to come...

what's the prediction--- the gulf of mexico will empty into the Great Lakes thus dividing the continental USA lower 48 States !

That would be a mess for sure, let's hope not.

Since it wasn't a shallow quake then I'm wagering just a release of energy from down below. We'll have to see what transpires in the next week or so.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 02:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: JBurns
a reply to: intrptr

My thought as well intrptr. I figured it was my lack of knowledge on the subject, so I will have to defer to those with more knowledge here but isn't this pretty unusual? Especially for a quake of such magnitude so close to shorelines?

Not to be conspiratorial or anything.... don't certain types of weapon tests also cause significant quakes?

From memory, the bomb dropped on Hiroshima caused a 7-ish quake, thousands of miles of water pipe had to be replaced or some such.

The reason the quake in the Caribbean didn't develop a Tsunami was because of the type of fault.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 07:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Agit8dChop

I was recently hit by Hurricane Maria. Then the island was in a tsunami warning for the southern part of the island. the warning was lifted yesterday. Thankfully a false alarm. Still a moment of tension there...

I need to get out of the Caribbean...

originally posted by: intrptr

The reason the quake in the Caribbean didn't develop a Tsunami was because of the type of fault.

That is a relief... if you ask me.
edit on th2018000000Thursdayth000000Thu, 11 Jan 2018 07:50:36 -0600fAmerica/ChicagoThu, 11 Jan 2018 07:50:36 -0600 by SoulSurfer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 01:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: JBurns
a reply to: FredT

Fred, according to another source (RT news) the event did generate multiple warnings

A 7.8 magnitude earthquake has struck in the Caribbean Sea north of Honduras, triggering multiple tsunami warnings in the area, including for the coasts of Puerto Rico and Virgin Islands.

www.rt.com...

Hopefully FEMA is prepared to immediately take action in the event of a tsunami

Are they preparing labor camps to force everyone into?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join