It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 Percent of Amazon’s Ohio Workforce on Food Stamps

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 12:22 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

They only had 1000 in the state until Oct 2017 when the second distribution center opened. So how would you explain that? Unless they are counting newly hired employees. And those employees will lose those benefits when it comes time to reapply they open new facilities and being attacked for hiring people on food stamps how evil.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 12:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ameilia

We need context. How many employed persons in total are on food stamps? If it's 10% or close, Amazon is doing no better or worse than everyone else.

Here is context...Ohio doesn't have Amazon offices or a logistics center. Any people from Ohio that work for Amazon are crossing the river to Northern Kentucky.

So what this is really saying is that many poor Ohioans wouldn't have jobs if it weren't for Amazon. They are willing to drive 50 miles just for a good job in another state.

So the bottom line is this entire OP is BS and out of context, but I suppose that doesn't fit the narrative that the OP wanted to sell us. Lots of unskilled labor is needed by Amazon and those people don't tend to be worth as much as skilled labor.

Amazon is a company that employs millions of Americans with solid, good jobs and I for one am grateful that they do. These people could be unemployed and on food stamps and that would be worse for everyone.

ETA: Some distribution centers may be in Ohio now as this could be old info...

Fulfillment center announced in North Randall, OH in July 2017

Fulfillment center announced in Monroe, OH in September 2017

Fulfillment center announced in Euclid, OH in September 2017

edit on 2018/1/8 by Metallicus because: eta

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 12:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr
Why is it people put out fake news to attack companies and political oponents. No one bothers to look at things any more to see if it's real. Amazon has a starting wage of 14.50 to be 15.00 in ohio. There is people collecting food stamps but they were on them before they started working there. The first distributuon center opened almost 2 yrs ago with 1400 employees. The second was in sept of 2017 with another 1000. They currently have 3 more they are opening anbounced in October one of them will have over 10000 employe's and hiring and training has started even though the facility isn't even finnished. But these employees hired will continue to draw food stamps until the state reviews it showing them ineligible. Benefits wise amazon isn't bad at least 14.50 with first raise after 90 days. They give yearly raises as well as stock bonuses to employees. They provide full medical and dental and will match up to 50 percent of their yearly wage in a 401k.

After looking into the isue this is all fake news because a group doesn't like the fact Amazon got tax break's from the state.

Yeah, I just checked it out. The minimum wage in OH is $8.30 a/o Jan 2018. Slamming Amazon for providing jobs with a starting pay of $15.00/hr is pathetic. Many of those employees are on part time status and/or have large families. This is more fake news from pissy attitude people. Keep up the good work of shaming companies that are going above and beyond the bare minimum.

Here is a link to their jobs page for a warehouse employee.

www.indeed.com...

Warehouse Assoc. Hourly Pay Rate: $15.00-$18.00
Benefits (Must be scheduled to work 20-29 hours a week)

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 12:45 AM
link   
a reply to: StoutBroux

That is my point exactly.

These are great jobs that people in Ohio cross state lines to get. It isn't like Amazon is cheating their employees or giving them low wages...these are high for the area.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 01:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

originally posted by: Ameilia

We need context. How many employed persons in total are on food stamps? If it's 10% or close, Amazon is doing no better or worse than everyone else.

Here is context...Ohio doesn't have Amazon offices or a logistics center. Any people from Ohio that work for Amazon are crossing the river to Northern Kentucky.

So what this is really saying is that many poor Ohioans wouldn't have jobs if it weren't for Amazon. They are willing to drive 50 miles just for a good job in another state.

So the bottom line is this entire OP is BS and out of context, but I suppose that doesn't fit the narrative that the OP wanted to sell us. Lots of unskilled labor is needed by Amazon and those people don't tend to be worth as much as skilled labor.

Amazon is a company that employs millions of Americans with solid, good jobs and I for one am grateful that they do. These people could be unemployed and on food stamps and that would be worse for everyone.

ETA: Some distribution centers may be in Ohio now as this could be old info...

Fulfillment center announced in North Randall, OH in July 2017

Fulfillment center announced in Monroe, OH in September 2017

Fulfillment center announced in Euclid, OH in September 2017

Thank you for the context. I missed or misread the fact that these Ohio residents were driving into another state specifically to work for Amazon. It is very pertinent to the conversation and not mentioned in the OP that they are able to make nearly twice the Ohio minimum wage by doing that.

I live a couple of cities away from an Amazon facility, and while I have never worked there myself, it has been great for the city. The one near me used to (and maybe still does) have a Pay to Quit policy, where every year employees are offered a Quit Bonus (starting at like $2,000 so no small chunk) which they can take and quit their job if they are unsatisfied. That means that every person working WANTS to work there, otherwise they would take the bonus pay and use it to jump to their next job.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 01:39 AM
link   

(quote) I wonder if there are bonuses for executives if they get that # up to 12% or maybe bonuses if they can beat Walmart for sucking more tax payer $$$ from the govt teat? So the tax payer is subsidizing a very profitable business, again. (quote)

I have no doubt the executives get bounses for all sorts of costs but probably get the biggest bonuses for driving wage and tax costs into the ground.

I see busienss 'subsudies' as corproate welfare because this is exactly what it is and nothing else. These people's power and greed knows no bounds.

I wonder if someday we will see corproate tax rates reach zero %? or even less than that? I wonder what will happen then?

What will 'busienss' do for "incentive" then? Will we reach a point at which where for every dollar of profit they get will they get a bonus of x% from the remaining tax payers, wage and salary earners.

When I started work when I was 15 years old, the corporate tax rate was 60%, now its 30% and falling. That's the official rates but its well known the big end of town pays only token, or donation level amounts of tax anyway.

When I was young I can remember business people arguing "why should I pay any tax anyway because I don't get anything from the government?" Now, I find myself asking the same question?

Corporate welfare is is now running rife throughout the economy and I am paying for more and more as time goes by but my unemployment benefits and soon to be pension are falling behind more each and every year.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 01:41 AM
link   

That is why People Like you need
to be aware of these Provisions:

The United States Anti Trust Laws:

www.justice.gov...

www.justice.gov...

catalog.data.gov...:doj-gov+AND+type:dataset&publisher=ATR+-+Antitrust+Division%2C+U.S.+Department+of+Justice

Evil Prevails When Good People Do Nothing.

Amazon is as Crooked as their Dick Icon.
Don't ya know? S&F
edit on 8-1-2018 by Wildmanimal because: Add Content

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 02:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Azureblue

Your issue seems to be the postal service offering discounts to hi volume cusromers. All carriers will do this from postal service to fed ex. Funny people complain about business and aparently never had experience running a company. The reason the postal service gives them discounts because a company like amazon will make the postal service 350 million a year and mind you that's only 40 percent of their shipping. As for amazon I buy stuff off there all the time and they charge less for shipping then most online retailers.

So I ask you who's actually saving money amazon or the people that buy from them?

P'S the corp tax rate in the 50s was 50 percent so you never seen a corp tax rate above 50 since that was rhe highest this century. It currently sits at 21 percent with the new tax plan. However thay doesnt include states tax so it will fall at about 27. It dropped from 35 prior to that. Europe's current rate is 25.58. So we went from the highest to the middle of what everyone else charges.
edit on 1/8/18 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Yes the big corporations that supply the millenium,they cater to them,while actually capturing them pay them nothing to work for them,youth these days don't realize they are pulling the trigger for big corporations,the world is screwed

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Just want to chime in and say that there are jobs around here. I can think of 3 foundries including mine that are hiring right now.
A lot of people pass on jobs and while I get this kind of work is not for everyone, the fact is there are jobs available.

For this area if you walk into a job paying 15 an hour you are doing pretty good. If that's what Amazon is paying in this area that is more than fair

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Ameilia

I don't know how welfare works in other states, but here, people that work less than 25 hours in a week get a specific amount of money for food and housing. if they work more than 25 hours their benefits decrease. I work as a kitchen manager in the school system here and there is a huge problem finding people to work in the food service sector because a lot of the "labor pool" refuses to work more than 25hours. And when tax time comes around, I $#!+ y'all not, some of the 20 hours a week employees are getting 8-10,000 dollar refund checks for the earned income child tax credit. Meanwhile, Uncle Scam is holding me up by ankles and shaking the last little bit of change out of my pockets. They all get the Tax Flu when the checks in and have the employees in the county call out of work and go on shopping sprees. I can't say I blame them. Why waste your life working 60-70 hours a week when you can work 20 and get everything you need for free.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join