It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

True Doctrine and Edification of the Brethern

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Also known as the Doctrine and Building of the Christian Body of Christ

I do apologize as this teaching is more than one page and will require reading on the part of you. Please for give the cut and past errors from my word processing program.

What does Bible doctrine have to do with building?

Having been in the construction industry for many years I learned that in order to end up with a building that is both sound and uncorrupt, it is extremely important to have a good foundation (one that contains good strong materials and which is both “Square” & “Level”) to build upon. After a good foundation is laid, it is crucial to “take heed how he buildeth thereupon” - that is, once a builder has a good foundation to build on, he must be very careful to make sure that all of the walls (both outside and inside) are “Plumb” and “Straight”; and that all of the openings in the walls are “Plumb”, “Level”, and “Square”; and that the whole building is constructed with sturdy materials and in an orderly fashion. If these simple building rules are overlooked, or ignored, or purposely disregarded you end up with a building that is shoddy, inferior, and possibly unsound.

1 Corinthians 3:10 According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon. 11 For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.

I believe that my observations and experiences as a builder have carried over into my Bible study habits. Once I learned about the “Which Bible” issue and came to the realization that the King James Bible is to be the Bible believing Christian’s “good foundation”, and after I learned how to “rightly divide the word of truth”, I have sought out all of God’s truth [Psalms 15:1-2; 40:9-10; 86:11; Acts 20;27], and have been extremely careful as to how I “buildeth thereupon” for at least three reasons:

1. I want to be “found faithful” to Almighty God and to His Holy word

1 Corinthians 4:2 Moreover it is required in stewards, that a man be found faithful.

2 Timothy 2:2 And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also.

Luke 16:10 He that is faithful in that which is least is faithful also in much: and he that is unjust in the least is unjust also in much.

Titus 1:9 Holding fast the faithful word as he hath been taught, that he may be able by sound doctrine both to exhort and to convince the gainsayers.

2 Timothy 1:13 Hold fast the form of sound words, which thou hast heard of me, in faith and love which is in Christ Jesus.

2. I want God’s approval – as a “workman that needeth not be ashamed”

2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

1 Corinthians 11:18 For first of all, when ye come together in the church, I hear that there be divisions among you; and I partly believe it.
19 For there must be also heresies among you, that they which are approved may be made manifest among you.

2 Corinthians 10:17 But he that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.
18 For not he that commendeth himself is approved, but whom the Lord commendeth.

3. And I desire to see Christian brethren edified – “Let all things be done unto edifying.”

Romans 14:19 Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another.

1 Corinthians 14:12 Even so ye, forasmuch as ye are zealous of spiritual gifts, seek that ye may excel to the edifying of the church.

1 Corinthians 14:26 How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an
interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying.

2 Corinthians 12:19 Again, think ye that we excuse ourselves unto you? we speak before God in Christ: but we do all things, dearly beloved, for your edifying.

Ephesians 4:15 But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:
16 From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part,
maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love.

Ephesians 4:29 Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.

1 Thessalonians 5:11 Wherefore comfort yourselves together, and edify one another, even as also ye do.

1 Timothy 1:3 As I besought thee to abide still at Ephesus, when I went into Macedonia, that thou mightest charge some that they teach no other doctrine,
4 Neither give heed to fables and endless genealogies, which minister questions, rather than godly edifying which is in faith: so do.

1 Timothy 4:6 If thou put the brethren in remembrance of these things, thou shalt be a good minister of Jesus Christ, nourished up in the words of faith and of
good doctrine, whereunto thou hast attained.

In addition to all of the above, I want to teach the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth - which means I must be prudent and beware of all kinds of leaven [Matthew 16:12; Mark 8:15; Luke 12:1; 1Corinthians 5:6-8; Galatians 5:9], and avoid all heretics and false teachers and the heresies and false doctrines that they teach and promote [Titus 3:10; 2Peter 2:1; 1Timothy 4:1-2; 2Timothy 3:1-5; 2Timothy 4:1-4; 2Peter 3:3-7; 1Timothy 6:20; Galatians 5:19-21]; which obligates me to warn my Christian brethren if, and when, I perceive that they may be following a man or promoting false doctrine.

Although Christians may find “some truth” in the writings, audio tapes, or videos of many of the so-called “Bible commentators”, at this point in time (as far as genuine spiritual edification is concerned), I would not recommend any writings, etc., done by Mormons, JW’s, Seventh Day Adventists, or any of the other Cults; plus I would not recommend anything written by modern day Protestants, Catholics, Evangelicals, or Pentecostals (i.e. Charismatics). In studying the Holy Bible, I find it distasteful to have to continually cut off the gristle and spit out the bones in order to get at the pure strong meat of “the word of truth” – not to mention all of the corrupt, spoiled, and rotten meat that can be found in so many of today’s so-called “Bible commentators” works. In the last 10-12 years I have reached the point where I am reluctant to recommend anyone who teaches Scripture unless I personally know them and their doctrine. As a matter of fact, the older I get, and the longer I have been a Christian, the less I recommend Bible commentators because of the amount of leaven that is found in most of their writings, audio tapes, videos, etc.

edit on 3-1-2018 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 01:44 PM
link   
In these last days and perilous times, we must be extremely careful as to who we recommend as Bible teachers. As sincere Bible believers, we must seek out doctrine that is pure, sound, and uncorrupt, which automatically disqualifies the vast majority of modern day Bible commentators. Why go to polluted or broken cisterns when we have the pure fountain of God’s Holy word?

Jeremiah 2:13 For my people have committed two evils; they have forsaken me the fountain of living waters, and hewed them out cisterns, broken cisterns, that can hold
no water.

A Bible believer’s doctrine must be “pure”
Job 11:4 For thou hast said, My doctrine is pure, and I am clean in thine eyes.

A Bible believer’s doctrine must be “uncorrupt”
Titus 2:7 In all things shewing thyself a pattern of good works: in doctrine shewing uncorruptness, gravity, sincerity,
8 Sound speech, that cannot be condemned; that he that is of the contrary part may be ashamed, having no evil thing to say of you.

A Bible believer’s doctrine must be “good”
Proverbs 4:2 For I give you good doctrine, forsake ye not my law.

1 Timothy 4:6 If thou put the brethren in remembrance of these things, thou shalt be a good minister of Jesus Christ, nourished up in the words of faith and of good
doctrine, whereunto thou hast attained.

A Bible believer’s doctrine must be “sound”
1 Timothy 1:10 For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is
contrary to sound doctrine;
11 According to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, which was committed to my trust.

2 Timothy 4:3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

Titus 1:9 Holding fast the faithful word as he hath been taught, that he may be able by sound doctrine both to exhort and to convince the gainsayers.

Titus 2:1 But speak thou the things which become sound doctrine:

A Bible believer’s doctrine must be according to the doctrine “of God” & “of Christ”
John 7:16 Jesus answered them, and said, My doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.

Titus 2:10 Not purloining, but shewing all good fidelity; that they may adorn the doctrine of God our Saviour in all things.

1 Timothy 6:3 If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to
godliness;

Hebrews 6:1 Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of
faith toward God,

2 John 1:9 Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the
Son.

Acts 2:42 And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.

A Bible believer must teach “no other doctrine” than “uncorrupt, pure, & sound doctrine”
1 Timothy 1:3 As I besought thee to abide still at Ephesus, when I went into Macedonia, that thou mightest charge some that they teach no other doctrine,
4 Neither give heed to fables and endless genealogies, which minister questions, rather than godly edifying which is in faith: so do.

2 John 1:9 Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the
Son.

A Bible believer must avoid “teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.”
Matthew 15:9 But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

Mark 7:7 Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

A Bible believer must avoid “divers and strange doctrines” & “doctrines of devils”
Hebrews 13:9 Be not carried about with divers and strange doctrines. For it is a good thing that the heart be established with grace; not with meats, which have not
profited them that have been occupied therein.

1 Timothy 4:1 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;
2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;

Revelation 2:14 But I have a few things against thee, because thou hast there them that hold the doctrine of Balaam, who taught Balac to cast a stumblingblock before
the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed unto idols, and to commit fornication.

Revelation 2:15 So hast thou also them that hold the doctrine of the Nicolaitans, which thing I hate.

I believe that we are living in “perilous times” – i.e. “the last days” described by the Apostle Paul in Second Timothy Chapter Three – and that it behooves us, as genuine Bible believers, to be extra careful as to who (or what) we recommend to our Christian brethren.

2 Timothy 3:1 This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.
2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,
3 Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,
4 Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;
5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.
6 For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts,
7 Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.
8 Now as Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, reprobate concerning the faith.
9 But they shall proceed no further: for their folly shall be manifest unto all men, as theirs also was.
10 But thou hast fully known my doctrine, manner of life, purpose, faith, longsuffering, charity, patience,
11 Persecutions, afflictions, which came unto me at Antioch, at Iconium, at Lystra; what persecutions I endured: but out of them all the Lord delivered me.
12 Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.
13 But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived.
14 But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them;
15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 01:45 PM
link   
In these days of a never-ending supply of corrupt versions of the Bible, and a practically infinite number of “Christian” denominations, sects, and cults, very few Christians know where to find “the word of truth”; which has led to few of today’s’ Christians, having a genuine “love of the truth” or possessing true spiritual discernment [2 Thessalonians 2:12; 1 Corinthians: 11-16].

As a result of all the misdirection, confusion, and chaos in modern day “Christendom” many genuine Christian brethren are still “babes”, (even though they may have been saved for years - Hebrews 5:11-14), not knowing how to “rightly divide the word of truth”, and susceptible to being adversely influenced by misguided brethren with leaven, or false teachers and hereticks with their false doctrines or heresies. And because of all the confusion, turmoil, disorder, and chaos in today’s “Christian” churches and amongst professing Christians I have made it a habit to be extremely careful as to who I recommend to the brethren.

The question for genuine Bible believers today is: are we going to follow the Holy Scriptures, or are we going to follow men? WHAT SAITH THE SCRIPTURE concerning this matter?

The Lord has not left us without guidance in this matter. The Holy Bible contains many warnings concerning who and what we are to beware of. Although the Lord warned His disciples to be beware of the Pharisees, Sadducees, and scribes of His day, a careful reading of the following verses demonstrates that we still have Pharisees, Sadducees, and scribes with us today - they are just called by different names or have assumed different Titles (i.e. pastor, reverend, Father, Bishop, your Eminence, your Holiness, etc., etc.) but their works and leaven are just exactly the same as the Pharisees, Sadducees, and scribes of old and they produce the same corrupt “FRUIT”! [Matthew 7:16, Matthew 7:20; Matthew 12:33; Luke 6:44]

SOME THINGS AND PEOPLE WE ARE TO BEWARE OF

Matthew 7:15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. [Today’s numerous Cults, etc.]

Matthew 16:6 Then Jesus said unto them, Take heed and beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees.
[Innumerable False Doctrines promoted by many of today’s “Religious Leaders”]

Matthew 16:11 How is it that ye do not understand that I spake it not to you concerning bread, that ye should beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and of the
Sadducees? [Today’s innumerable False Doctrines]
12 Then understood they how that he bade them not beware of the leaven of bread, but of the doctrine of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees.
[Today’s innumerable False Doctrines]

Mark 8:15 And he charged them, saying, Take heed, beware of the leaven of the Pharisees, and of the leaven of Herod.
[Today’s innumerable False Doctrines – Both Spiritual & Secular]

Mark 12:38 And he said unto them in his doctrine, Beware of the scribes, which love to go in long clothing, and love salutations in the marketplaces,
[Today’s innumerable pastors, teachers, commentators, etc.]

Luke 20:46 Beware of the scribes, which desire to walk in long robes, and love greetings in the markets, and the highest seats in the synagogues, and the chief rooms
at feasts; [Today’s pastors, teachers, etc.]

Luke 12:1 In the mean time, when there were gathered together an innumerable multitude of people, insomuch that they trode one upon another, he began to say unto
his disciples first of all, Beware ye of the leaven of the Pharisees, which is hypocrisy.
[A commonplace characteristic of most of today’s “Religious Leaders” – Do as I say, not as I do.]

Luke 12:15 And he said unto them, Take heed, and beware of covetousness: for a man's life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth.
[A prevalent trait or practice found in most of today’s “Religious Leaders”]

Philippians 3:2 Beware of dogs, beware of evil workers, beware of the concision. [Gentile trouble makers and Judaizers (who cause divisions) in many of today’s
churches]

Colossians 2:8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after
Christ.
[In the Western World - Humanism (Foremost: Psychology & Education, i.e. Schooling): The main sources of deception, corruption, and unfaithfulness in
today’s so-called Fundamentalist and Evangelical churches.]

2 Peter 3:17 Ye therefore, beloved, seeing ye know these things before, beware lest ye also, being led away with the error of the wicked, fall from your own
stedfastness.
[Anything in this world (spiritual or secular) that may cause a child of God to turn his (or her) back on Almighty God and His Holy word and become
“conformed to this world” [Romans 12:2] rather than “conformed to the image of His Son” [Romans 8:29].]

The Apostle Paul provides us with the "conclusion of the whole matter":

Philippians 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.
9 Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you.

Paul's words are words to the wise - we can't go wrong if we determine in our hearts to follow them. We can go terribly wrong if we choose to ignore them or disobey them!

Psalms 33:4 For the word of the LORD is right; and all his works are done in truth.
edit on 3-1-2018 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 09:21 PM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn

Well done study here, I will be using it since you collated everything so well here. Thank you for your effort and time you put into this, its was a great help to me.

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: MonarchofBooks1611

It is from my heart. I tried to use mainly Bible verse and not to many of my own words or interpretation. This is how the Bible is supposed to be used to learn and teach

I am glad it can help you.

edit on 5-1-2018 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn

I most certainly did. Hope to see you around more here. I'll be active in various forums, mainly Bible related ones.

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 11:00 PM
link   
a reply to: MonarchofBooks1611

And just think all of that from the AV 1611 Bible without having to go to the Greek or Hebrew to change a single word.

Truth stand on its own.

Be blessed

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Good thread, thanks for putting it together. I encountered the same things when I was going to seminary 15 years ago. I dropped out because I could not in good conscience become a 'pastor' who was paid to give people my own interpretations of the Word. I truly believe that we are reborn of the Holy Spirit:

John 3:1-8

Now there was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews; this man came to Jesus by night and said to Him, “Rabbi, we know that You have come from God as a teacher; for no one can do these signs that You do unless God is with him.” Jesus answered and said to him, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God.”

Nicodemus said to Him, “How can a man be born when he is old? He cannot enter a second time into his mother’s womb and be born, can he?” Jesus answered, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Do not be amazed that I said to you, ‘You must be born again.’ The wind blows where it wishes and you hear the sound of it, but do not know where it comes from and where it is going; so is everyone who is born of the Spirit.”

The 'church' regards this chapter as metaphorical. That is the 'rebirth' is a metaphorical concept it's not a literal concept. I believe it is a literal concept we are reborn of the Holy Spirit as Christ was begotten from His Father. It is an order of sorts as Paul says:

1 Corinthians 15:20-23

But now Christ has been raised from the dead, the first fruits of those who are asleep. For since by a man came death, by a man also came the resurrection of the dead. For as in Adam all die, so also in Christ all will be made alive. But each in his own order: Christ the first fruits, after that those who are Christ’s at His coming,

2 Corinthians 4:16

Therefore we do not lose heart, but though our outer man is decaying, yet our inner man is being renewed day by day.

The 'inner man' is this new creation, our life essence is zoe, our biological life was bios. We are still in this flesh, our bios, but our inner man (seed) is of God as Christ was of God.

2 Corinthians 5:17

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come.

Now the hard part. I left the seminary because I would not adhere to the doctrine of the trinity. Because I do not believe that God exists eternally in the future as the Father Son and Holy Spirit, I believe He has included us in that trinity, so the Father, the Son, the Holy Spirit and the Body of Christ. God literally becomes our eternal life in heaven and yet retains a personality, Christ, King of Kings and Lord of Lords.

It's so far beyond our concept of God now, that He can exist as a plurality of individuals that we really can't express it in words. I think that's why Paul says;

1 Corinthians 2:7

but we speak God’s wisdom in a mystery, the hidden wisdom which God predestined before the ages to our glory;

And;

2 Corinthians 3:18

But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as from the Lord, the Spirit.

You cannot interpret scripture this way by fully adhering to the doctrine of the trinity, which is the basis of systematic theology held by both catholicism and protestantism.

And why are these things this way? Because of the priesthood. They need this hypothetical systematic theology to lord understanding of scripture over everyone else and keep them in a job. Christ said:

Matthew 23:8

But do not be called Rabbi; for One is your Teacher, and you are all brothers.

I'll stop now but thanks for letting me vent.

edit on 10-1-2018 by SkeptiSchism because: added verse

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 10:35 PM
link   
a reply to: SkeptiSchism

There is no Trinity in the Bible of this you are correct but it is called the Godhead,.

Ac 17:29 Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device.
Ro 1:20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, [even] his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
Col 2:9 For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

what makes it a reality is that God the Word and the Holy Ghost are one

1John 5:7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.
And you had it correct we are one with Christ and as his body. So yes when the merge together to rule from the throne on the new earth we will have already put on our new and prefect bodies and the Godhead shall rule forever. We will always be part of him for he cannot cut off his own holy hand.

new topics

top topics

join