It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Bible is not ALL Allegorical

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I have informed many here in this form and others that the Bible is not ALL Allegorical. I also stated that instead of trying to go back to so called originals, of which there are none but only bits and pieces of copies of so called original languages. I have informed that you could see in John Strong's concordance in his Greek dictionary of supposed Koine Greek word he has in almost every case attached to the Kione the Classical Greek definition. My point being that God said he would preserve his words to every Generation forevere and this being the final and English speaking generation he has done so in the English as found in the AV Bible.

As I have discussed this numerous times I always have one come up and say, "oh the Bible is Allegorical". But what they proved was they do not know anything of the English Bible or of English Grammar. I strongly informed them they were wrong and that the Bible only has a few Allegories in it and that they needed to study the English language of the AV Bible and distinguish the different figures of speech. My own journey had led me to numerous to find exactly how many different figures of Speech there are in the Modern Christian Seminary today we are taught about about ten of them, hyperbole, Allegory, Metaphorical, symbolism, similes, alliterations, Antithesis, Euphemisms, Metonymy, Proverbs and the Parables.

But upon further study over the years I have found there are far more found in the bible than we are taught in the Seminary. As a matter of fact one so called biblical scholar, a so called godly man, reports in his Companion Bible that there are some 217 different figures of speech found in the Bible.

You can go to this link to his Bible and scroll down. I can post some of the pages to this site but we will have to see if it will take
www.amazon.com...=pd_lpo_sbs_14_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=JPX4FYE8HN1YGQMMVZMJ#reader_08254 20997

edit on 2-1-2018 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 12:42 PM
link   

edit on 2-1-2018 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn

Greek and latin are really strange languages to translate from. What the Bible was translated before then is probably a better study. But what difference does it make. So you found out from the text in ancient Coptic the word for God had no gender. Are people today going to change from what the meaning of the text has become? I don't think so.

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 12:43 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

This is why God says he will preserve his words to every generation forever. And I believe that, and it is found in the AV Bible. 1) It has all the words, verses, phrases, sections, and chapters in it. 2) All the English words in it best represent the original languages, 3) Every English word in it is defined by the context where it is found. 4) There is a supernatural built-in cross reference system of God's words, doctrines, teachings not of men. (that last one needs years of reading and studying it before one begins to see it.)

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Who says that the English speaking generation is the final generation?

What makes the English speaking church so much more important than other churches?

I don't think its wise to say that the Bible is predominantly allegory or predominantly literalism. I think most of the it has multiple levels of application.

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Even though you keep informing, and saying, and showing, and informing some more, you’ll always find someone who disagrees with you in one manner or another.

A) who cares, if you can find a fact or two in the bible. It does not lend validity to the preposterous claims that are put forth within the stories

B) yes, not everything in the bible is allegorical, there are other figures of speech used. I’m not sure why you feel the need to expose this mis- use of the word as some kind of argument for what, exactly? That someone you were arguing with used the word allegorical instead of stating each and every figure of speech used? I guess this deserves it’s own thread? How dare that one person.

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

You can't come to a proper application without study and that includes the many form of speech being used in it.

We can't go back to originals because there are NONE. All we have a bits and pieces not a whole copy in the bunch and not one ORIGINAL. That is the lie they have fed us since 1611, yet very few Bible Believing men and women have stood up to them to call them out.

This thread was merely started as a elp o those who don't know the different figures of speech used in the AV Bible.

The pages (with copyright notices attached) are posted for your learning not to argue over.

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

You may not care but some of us want you to know the truth so it can set you free from the bounds of religion and false traditions.

The people I mentioned said it clear as day, "ALL OF THE BIBLE IS ALLEGORICAL". While you and I know it is an impossibility for it to be so. Their are many who parrot and do nothing to research.

This thread is a help for those to research plain and simple.

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 01:26 PM
link   

I know you believe, and yet can't you discern the signs of the times.

The English text of the AV cannot be PREDOMINATELY ALLEGORY but even if figures of speech are used it still can be taken and applied LITERALLY.

Also what is needed is to understand the English punctuations and how they are used, not just for breaths but for of types of information, or pauses in thought while going to another and then back again. We see this clearly in Proverbs, a type of figure of speech as well as a book. We also see it in the gospel (s figure as well as a book) where Jesus teaches Especially as preserved for us in the book of Luke.

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Your Avatar name implies my purpose for posting. the ignorant remain in bliss, which is really a fallacy, as long as they have not the truth. At least their ignorance is not on my hands for I have given them a hand to not remain ignorant to these truths as found in scriptures.

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 01:45 PM
link   

thats nice - now if only " someone " would CLEARLY annote the bible - to diffrentiate what is admited allegory - and what is alledged " fact " - colour coded fonts would be awesome

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChesterJohn

The pages (with copyright notices attached) are posted for your learning not to argue over.

who gave you the authority to declare that? the bible is a constant source of information and can be applicable to nearly any situation. the words and deeds of those in the bible were recorded to not only speak to the masses, but each individual as well. and if you REALLY want to pick it apart, you cant, with any degree of certainty state that it's even the whole message of the original Word, considering it's been chopped, edited, and transcribed hundreds of times...at least.

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 02:06 PM
link   
a reply to: PolyCottonBlend

Seems the sentence you picked out is in itself out of the context it is in reference to the Pages copied from Bullinger's Companion Bible and noted it has the copy right attached to it and a link is supplied for you own reading. Seeing this is just Appendix 6 and there is more subjects you can read on from that link.

And I fully agree the Bible is applicable to all, but there are some parts that are literally to someone else and we cannot apply it, like where Noah is told to build an ark. Figures of speech, Historical context, Historical application, Doctrinal application and Spiritual application all have a place in time.

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

Hiya, Iggy, The Bible is generally color coded to black and white, then someone found they could copy right the AV Bible, which cannot be copy righted, by putting the words of Christ in red. Anyway so to make a buck off the words of God. That is why we have almost 400 different English Bible versions alone since 1880. Most of which are out of print and forgotten.

Then you have the numerous AV translation into other languages which since 1930 have been replaced time and again with supposedly better and clearer translations which are nothing more than the NIV 1, NSAB, NRVB, TGNB, NWT, NKJV, NIV 2,3,4, and the GBV. All in the name of making a buck off the Bible, and not giving a care if anyone is confused over Lucifer being translated as the Morning star when they are told in REV 22 that Jesus is the Morning Star. Not to mention all the missing words, verses, phrases, sections and chapters those copy righted Bibles have. Just so you are not confused when you see a AKJV Bible copyrighted today it is not the text that is copy righted it is the maps, the study comments, dictionaries, quick verse reference, and the Denominational cross-referencing either in the Middle or at the bottom of the ages that are copy righted.

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 02:30 PM
link   

actually I was just wondering who gave anyone the authority to put a signed, sealed, delivered stamp on any translation of an otherwise disheveled collection of stories of antiquity.

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: PolyCottonBlend

God did. He said that thou shall not add or diminish his words at least three times in the AV. Duet 4:2 7 12:32, Pro 30:6, Rev 22:18

He said he would preserve his words to every generation forever Ps 12:6, 7.

His words as found in Psalm 119 are given in increments under the Hebrew Alphabet where he says his words are true, pure, able to teach, make one wise, as well as many other things.

I don't expect a none Bible believer to think these are true. But most Bible believers will agree.

It is like the lady preacher who got on the bus and started preaching that those who preach the Gospel have to live by it as she handed our envelopes asking for any amount. I stood up and said if you received salvation by the Bible by grace of God through faith then you should live by that faith as well, as I handed her back an empty envelope. She got a few empty envelopes that day. Why because I spoke the truth to those who were listening as she supposed she was when she preached to them the wrong gospel, the gospel of the Kingdom and not the gospel of the Grace of God.

In the church I planted overseas I never once passed a plate or took up an offering. But I did place a box at the exit that said love gift. And every month there was always enough to pay for the electric, water and rent for the Building any leftover I put in savings for the youth camp each year and it never went short either.

I lived by faith the whole 15 years I was there, and even when we were out of food I never took a dime from that box. I prayed that God supplied and he always did.

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Guys, I just figured that if we know there are more figures of speech in the Bible than Allegories, and I posted the pages of those figures of speech, then some one might just learn a bit more if they study out the Bible and search out the different figures of speech.

But the ones who claim "the whole Bible is Allegorical" are not being truthful and more than likely are just parroting something someone else said, instead of searching the scriptures to see if those things being taught them are actually true.

And besides, anyone who knows anything about English Literature or any literature for that matter, know you cannot write a whole book using just one kind of figure of speech, in the case in point it is Allegory.

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 02:55 PM
link   

having a father who served as a pastor for 38 years of my life, I consider myself quite adept at scripture.
I may not have a degree in theology, but it's not really hard to get one.
my point is, if God said His word would be preserved forever, how do you justify the absence of the hundreds of "gospels" that never made it into final collections of scripture? doesn't that leave the door wide open for multiple interpretations of God's message?
I understand what you're getting at, but there will never be a definitive Word of God.

eta: there was no one person who wrote the book anyway. it's a collection. of works. by more authors than we could possibly identify. using the same structure for the entire work is wishful at best.
edit on 2-1-2018 by PolyCottonBlend because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChesterJohn
a reply to: dfnj2015

This is why God says he will preserve his words to every generation forever. And I believe that, and it is found in the AV Bible. 1) It has all the words, verses, phrases, sections, and chapters in it. 2) All the English words in it best represent the original languages, 3) Every English word in it is defined by the context where it is found. 4) There is a supernatural built-in cross reference system of God's words, doctrines, teachings not of men. (that last one needs years of reading and studying it before one begins to see it.)

My problem with any translation, it has inherent bigotries and prejudice and philosophy of the person doing the translating. I have often wondered about the King James version of the Bible. It is just amazing to me that governmental philosophy of the Bible matches the exact type of government of King James feudalism. I would think something divine and lasting for all time would be slightly more egalitarian a lot less authoritarian.

If you are interested in some insight into the nature of the Bible read King James book, "The True Law of Free Monarchies". The idea of the divine rights of the Kings is self-serving and certainly questionable by today's standards of morality.

I think men pretending to speak for God is possibly the height of human hubris.

For religion and spiritual matters, I have difficulty listening to other people's translation or interpretations of something I can experience directly with a little bit of effort. Absolute authority comes from within. And if you see the Buddha on the road kill him.

edit on 2-1-2018 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join