It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Self-healing glass: a cracking discovery from Japan

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Meh, saw that from Stark Industries already.

Don't even need to touch the glass, it just fixes itself.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 11:43 PM
link   
a reply to: burgerbuddy

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 11:46 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

I doubt the new tech will work on tempered,laminated wind shields yet

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 11:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Blender5L

Cool materiel interactions!
Crazy that we are considering using a life-form: (bacteria), to build our structures; gives hope that we can move towards a more sustainable life for us all.
-
Imagine building with life!
Brings thoughts of natural dwellings, and harmonious living.
Where could that lead us?

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 12:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Nothin

It gives a lot of hope, this will lead to better living conditions. Imagine a glass house that would be wild, a glass green house would look cool. Lots to look forward to with this.

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 12:24 AM
link   
a reply to: hiddenNZ

Give them time I'm sure they will.

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 01:00 AM
link   

So instead of going to a car shop to have your winshield fixed for x amount of dollars, it 'could' be a do it yourself fix in a decade or so without the flaws.

I dunno, anything that takes a decade to fix under DIY circumstances seems pretty useless to me...

On a more serious note - this is what I live & breathe for; challenging innovation (challenging our perceptions & challenging our capacity to develop new technology trees...)

PS - Graphene & self-healing glass. Two revolutionary discoveries, both allegedly discovered 'by accident', in remarkably low-tech circumstances, and both arising pretty much as a side effect of failure to achieve the primary research goals... Lucky bastards!

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 01:25 AM
link   
looks like it has a long ways to go. not even sure it should be called glass at this point. not clear, looked maleable in his hands and kinda gooey and even after the crack was fixed it was still very visible in the product. which the problem for cracked windshields isnt the reduced strength of the windshield in the majority of cases but instead for visibility reasons and safety.

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 07:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nothin

We are making great advances in materials-science.
Less influenced by politics than other sciences, and closer to the scientific ideal of improving life for Humans.

Exactly. Also while material development is very close to real world applications it is almost hidden from public view. It is too subtle for journalists ...

Today I found (no kidding) dynamic or time crystals: www.sciencealert.com

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: JanAmosComenius

originally posted by: Nothin

We are making great advances in materials-science.
Less influenced by politics than other sciences, and closer to the scientific ideal of improving life for Humans.

Exactly. Also while material development is very close to real world applications it is almost hidden from public view. It is too subtle for journalists ...

Today I found (no kidding) dynamic or time crystals: www.sciencealert.com

Excellent link whoa! Thanks for posting that link im still reading!

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Phone screens are not glass .
they are a type of plastic
and i have discovered that the plastic packing that alot of toys come in ( you know the stuff you need scissors to open )
works as a phone screen ( peal off the shattered screen get some of this plastic cut a square the right size then re-glue on screen .
wile it is not quite as thick as the normal phones plastic the phone now works just fine and looks like new .
as for this glass Cool really cool .

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 12:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: midnightstar
Phone screens are not glass .
they are a type of plastic
and i have discovered that the plastic packing that alot of toys come in ( you know the stuff you need scissors to open )
works as a phone screen ( peal off the shattered screen get some of this plastic cut a square the right size then re-glue on screen .
wile it is not quite as thick as the normal phones plastic the phone now works just fine and looks like new .
as for this glass Cool really cool .

Cool

top topics

<< 1   >>

join