It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Extremely Sadistic 120 Days Of Sodom Declared A National Treasure

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: SR1TX
It's France..

Who cares.

Or, Its France, that explains it.

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: MindBodySpiritComplex

Yeah, you know I got to thinking that they do sort approve of it and declare it to be valuable literature, by doing this. If they thought it was super bad they wouldn't care where it ends up, right? And yeah, they did literally call it a national treasure, so your thread is of course valid.

I'm pretty sure I'd be sickened and maybe even angry if I read it, but I've got to agree with TrueBrit and LesMis, freedom and all that jazz, and I think someone has to write about the bad and disgusting stuff too, maybe it can help us get over the bad stuff one day. I don't think hiding evil will get rid of it. And I fear that if they sell it to whomever then eventually it will fall into the hands of someone who wants to destroy it. Maybe radical Islamists. I also think it belongs more to the people of France than to some millionaire (who might or might not be getting his rocks off reading it...)

It's just a book, can't be that evil, he spent a long time writing it and it was important to him. Even if he was #ed up, I don't know.

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Justso

So we should simply ignore the cultural impact it has had since it's composition? Or the fact that many of the underlying philosophies expressed by Sade were well ahead of their time? Just because the content disturbs you does not change the fact that we're still talking about 200+ years later nor that it has influenced countless important thinkers over the centuries. It is very much a classic.

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I don't get the shock here....

This same country romanticizes about the beheading of much of everyone in the French Revolution, including the main instigator, who himself was incredibly insane and fancied himself as either the 2nd coming or a savior, and a sociopath leader name Napoleon Bonaparte that took over much of that side of the world. Much of the southern part of France was also sympathetic to the Nazi party.

Is it really a surprise the culture would hold onto something like whatever this work is about?

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 01:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Butterfinger
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Why stop there, was there not as scene where a girl was forced to eat a guys poop off the floor?

No wonder islamic terrorists are hitting France so bad, let them have it

oh... did you want to talk about all the gross abusive stuff in the bible, then?

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 01:44 PM
link   

How dare the French get to decide what to do with their own literature /s

masterpiece be withdrawn from the sale, along with Andre Breton's "Surrealist Manifestos", banning their export from France, the Aguttes auction house told AFP.

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 01:50 PM
link   
The French have always had a higher regard for the Marquis, one of their own.
Incidentally, just to clarify; it is the original manuscript which is the national treasure, not to be sold abroad, rather than the book as a piece of literature.

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Butterfinger

ah, terrorism is good when it protects your sensibilities. And yet those things you abhor are in most western countries, possibly in your own country.

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

When offensive art comes up for a national treasure status, I'll gladly pass and just simply store a digital copy for posterity, not a pedestal.

Some people say keeping a certain president will agitate war with cultures that will be offended by him, and call for his removal for it.

France wonders why they take the brunt of islamic terror, just saying this is one reason, aside from virtual open boarders and festering immigrant camps.

I'm just pointing out parallels, not calling for censoring.

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: fiverx313

Yeah, wheres the scripture with insane detail and perversion that is only rivalled by 120 of Sodom?

Crazy stuff happens in the bible, but not in such graphic detail, thats the difference, but I'm not here to defend the bible.

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Yeah, wheres the scripture with insane detail and perversion that is only rivalled by 120 of Sodom?

Crazy stuff happens in the bible, but not in such graphic detail, thats the difference, but I'm not here to defend the bible.

well are you aren't you? i'm getting mixed messages here.

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 02:46 PM
link   

I'm not, I just want to say its apples and oranges because one has a particular attention to detail and one does not.

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Yeah but the Bible warns sinners they will die and pay for their crimes against others.
It has to describe enough crimes so we'll have a good idea what a "crime" is.

Only evil doers are offended by the Bible.

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 03:00 PM
link   

I'm not, I just want to say its apples and oranges because one has a particular attention to detail and one does not.

that's fair, to a point -- but i think your attempt to extrapolate this into some kind of referendum on the culture of france AND connect it to islamic terrorism is even more far-fetched and off the point. that's all.

originally posted by: muzzleflash

Yeah but the Bible warns sinners they will die and pay for their crimes against others.
It has to describe enough crimes so we'll have a good idea what a "crime" is.

Only evil doers are offended by the Bible.

oh cmon... there's plenty in the bible that is gross to the modern eye and yet is all good to the god of the time. i'd bet you a bag of my enemies' foreskins on it.

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 03:01 PM
link   
It begs the question, if you had a time machine would you go back in time and 'fix things'. Has this book encouraged others? Have barbarities been copied ?

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 03:16 PM
link   

a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Why stop there, was there not as scene where a girl was forced to eat a guys poop off the floor?

Why stop anywhere? Because they’re words.

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Nope, it's not gross at all. All those rapes murders blood and guts are just fine in the Bible.

But if any other books depicts it? It's pure evil man. It's the devil at work to pervert your mind and turn you to the forces of demons.

In fact, we should just ban all books cept the Bible to purify Earth of the Devil's reign.

Ok, I couldn't keep a straight face through all of that.
Hehehehe. If you knew me in RL and could see my expressions and my laughter you'd know I always use extreme sarcasm.

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 04:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I don't recommend you watch Pasolini's film adaption, Salo.

Or, read Tracy R Twyman's Genuflect.

*shudders*

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 09:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

All trash isn't classic just because it's old.

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Well...slap my ass and call me Sally.
That book is pretty damn sick.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join