It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fricken stupid parent!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Yeah, that's a solid approach. My youngest just turned 10 yesterday and her brother will be 16 in March. I never had any issues with meltdowns in stores over not getting something they wanted/demanded because it wouldn't be tolerated. I give them a pretty long leash in most cases because they need to grasp that actions have consequences but I'm never too far off that I can't give them guidance, but there aren't any get out of jail free cards here and they know that if there's something they want then they have to earn it.

They know the drill and will come to me prepared with ideas for what chores around the house or the property they can do and have a fair grasp on time management and return on investment in regards to the type of chores they're capable of performing (obviously a 10 year old girl isn't going to attempt some of the stuff her brother is able to do), how much time and physical effort would be involved etc... So they have a basic framework and basis for comparing the dollar amount of what they're trying to talk me into compared to the work they need to do to obtain the goods.

Contrast those 2 with my nearly 18 year old step-daughter from my wife's first marriage and she has zero motivation or drive to do anything and bitches and moans about doing basic chores around the house which was the deal if I was paying for her cell phone, half asses everything when I am finally able to coax her to turn the TV off and get off of the couch and purposely did a terrible job knowing that if I got frustrated and had to redo something that she insists she had done properly but didn't come anywhere remotely close that I would just end up doing it myself in the future because it wasn't worth the hassle. It's not like I used her as a maid. It was 15 min per day and maybe 30 min once or twice per week

To be fair, she was severely bullied at school so we pulled her and homeschooled her until she fell while hiking and suffered a TBI that left her with amnesia and because of where she hit her head and the way the brain bounced back and forth from the shockwave in her skull she was never quite the same kid again after that. And the matter is compounded further because when with her biological dad he's a 43 year old deadbeat who lives with his mommy in her trailer grows mushrooms in his bedroom ( not the magical kind!) and works odd side jobs as a handy man for hire and sponges off of his fiancé who lives 1500 miles away.

So when shes with him at grandma's house, there is no structure, no real rules and zero expectations from her. So I'm the bad guy because at our home, we have expectations from all 3 of the kids and they know that if they want to play Xbox or want to go somewhere or they need me to buy them something that isn't a necessity then they need to earn it. So its an example of a Nature vs. Nurture scenario and the drastic differences when one of the 3 has no boundaries, guidelines or anything resembling actual parenting.

It's pretty sad because she is in many ways like the 2 year old. If she wants something and is told no, she will wait until nobody is looking and take it. Over the summer I went to get the cat out of her room while she was w/ her dad one weekend and when they cat stood up, the pillow case crinkled lol So being curious I went to see what it was and lo and behold... the entire pillow case was filled with food and candy wrappers. Some of it was stuff she stole from my office, others were taken from the fridge after being told no, a stash of small bills that she had been collecting out of my wallet for weeks and possibly months because she found out the hard way that I notice quite quickly if a 20 or 50 is MIA. I could go on and on but I'm probably way off topic at this point.

I think the point I was trying to make is that the 2 kids who had boundaries, rules, structure, were taught to respect others and think critically I've never had issues with and the one who spent half her time living like a hippy at a commune has the emotional maturity of an elementary school student and has no respect for anyone and lies, steals and manipulates people on a regular basis. The kid in the OP is going to grow up like my step daughter.... zero respect for anyone or anything. Including himself. The future for these kids frightens me more than my time in Somalia did.

rant over lol

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 11:36 AM
link   
These parents are creating their own train wrecks. They might certainly outlive their children as they become unmanageable adults.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Ridiculous. A kiddo that age shouldn't have gotten a choice. They haven't a clue what the difference between the two brands is to begin with and berating the child repeatedly for doing what the parent told them to do is just more terrible parenting.

Children aren't mindless drones, but they aren't mini-adults either with the critical thinking needed to decide that the generic, less colorful milk is just the same as the other, and cheaper as well.

Working at WM myself has been a depressing look into just how permissive parents are these days. I'm starting to dislike parents that go shopping with their kids. They let them run around, grab things off the shelves and drop them all over the place. Ram full carts into people and displays, then walk off leaving the mess for me to clean up. Black Friday was a real eye opener on how people are nothing more than selfish animals who could care less about anyone else.
edit on 11/28/2017 by Subrosabelow because: spelling derp

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: muzzleflash

#1 on the georgia guide stones is the only one i don't agree with. a piece of land the size of texas located in the right area would be more then enough to grow food for the whole world population as it is. if it wasn't for the evil and corrupt around the world there would be no one starving.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: peter vlar

you can't fix stupid. i just hope it wasn't some form of welfare using taxpayers money on the expensive brand. also the manufactuerers spend a lot of money on research marketing to come up with the colorful labels targeting kids. now if you look at most of the generic brands out there they mostly have a plain not to colorful label missing the cartoon characters. there is no need to put them on the generic brands cause the people buying the generic brands cant afford the name brands and would never think of giving the kid a choice of name brand over generic.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: luke1212
a reply to: muzzleflash

#1 on the georgia guide stones is the only one i don't agree with. a piece of land the size of texas located in the right area would be more then enough to grow food for the whole world population as it is. if it wasn't for the evil and corrupt around the world there would be no one starving.

Texas already has major traffic jam problems, imagine how bad it'd be if every car in the world was squished in there. It'd be one super giant city, full of pain and misery and countless problems.

Anyways...
It doesn't matter if you can fit a gazillion people into a single building.

Why are you absolutely adamant that there MUST be billions and billions of people?
I can't think of one good reason that we'd "need" that many people except to fight aliens in which most would die anyways so we'd still end up with a pretty small population.

Can't you look around at Earth today and see all the problems, the crime the pollution the corruption the corrosion and depravity, the callousness and hate, and recognize that this thing simply will only get Worse as the population increases??

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: luke1212
a reply to: peter vlar

you can't fix stupid. i just hope it wasn't some form of welfare using taxpayers money on the expensive brand. also the manufactuerers spend a lot of money on research marketing to come up with the colorful labels targeting kids. now if you look at most of the generic brands out there they mostly have a plain not to colorful label missing the cartoon characters. there is no need to put them on the generic brands cause the people buying the generic brands cant afford the name brands and would never think of giving the kid a choice of name brand over generic.

Wait, so you dislike welfare yet you think we need a much larger population (you said you're against population control).

What do you think the welfare bill for the US will be in 2050 or 2100?
How do you create jobs for all of these extra billions of citizens?
How do you afford the government services to educate them properly?

Without those mega investments of tax dollars $ we will be facing crime waves unlike anything ever seen before in the streets of the dystopian megacity ghettos.

In fact I don't even see how we could get there to begin with. I don't see how we can prevent and contain epidemic diseases as the population continues to grow and our wastefulness and garbage piles increase.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Do you guys actually raise kids or just type on a keyboard all day? Yeah she should have just picked the local CM but she didn't. Maybe she usually does. Mom's have "blonde moments" too. Especially from being tired because they are raising children. If this is what you've got to complain about don't even try driving. That's more than F'd up.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: luke1212

You can never start teaching your child too young that all advertising is for is to make you want something whether you need it or not.

We began that one early in our household.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Yes, I have a kid, and I know the drill. If you offer the kid a choice and he chooses something, be prepared to eat it without comment.

Never offer what you aren't prepared to cover. If you don't want him to pick the name brand, don't offer it as a choice.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I wasn't talking about you. And I agree with you. That's just asking for trouble if you reject a choice. But people have moments of, "Blluuuurrrbbbbbb". Incidentally Connor was given a choice last night between watching Paw Patrol or having pie. No surprise, "More pie."

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 03:19 PM
link   

I didn't care she gave the kid a choice, I cared that she bitched about the choice.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 03:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

I didn't care she gave the kid a choice, I cared that she bitched about the choice.

And then you came here and bitched about her.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 03:25 PM
link   

THat choice would make ours think.

He hates bedtime, so more PAW Patrol means more time before the inevitable bedtime. He knows he can't/won't be allowed to make his pie last that long.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 03:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

originally posted by: Bluntone22

And then you came here and bitched about her.

And you bitched about my bitch....
Viscous circle.....

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I'm laughing trying to imagine someone doing this to a toddler-

I don't punish my kid for his choices at the store because he doesn't get a choice yet. He get's what mommy picks because he's too busy shouting out all the letters and numbers he sees- and as far as I know- and maybe it's just my toddler but chocolate is chocolate to them the brand doesn't matter yet.

Also who cares if it's a dollar or so more, if you can afford it, get it. They are only kids once dammit let them enjoy something. Like real kids, toddlers, babies.

I just imagine that being some super uptight parent.

Did you want this or this? WRONG NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

-Alee
edit on 11/28/2017 by NerdGoddess because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 07:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Why would anyone ask a child of that age their opinion on food? She should know eating preferences, and kids don't tend to care about brands. If she didn't want the more expensive one, buy the other, and don't ask the kid!! Likely one of those idiots that thinks kids should have a say in literally everything.

The more I think about this, the more I wonder if she wasn't doing it to get attention, in some warped fashion. I can't see any other reason to create such a spectacle of buying chocolate milk for a baby.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 10:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Well she is only setting herself up for pain, she will one of the parents complaining her kid will only pizza and chips because they don't like anything else.

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 02:43 AM
link   
This is one of the reasons I would support sterilization with reproductive rights available pending an application and review process. We have too many unqualified people having babies. Its ridiculously irresponsible to sit back and allow people who have no clue reproduce like rabbits.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join