It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Accused 'Make America Great Again' hat thief could face jail time

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 02:08 PM
link   
This is the most recent update to this ongoing story that has been posted and discussed here at ATS. I present this thread as an update on the progress of the story to date.

Source: Accused 'Make America Great Again' hat thief could face jail time

According to the criminal complaint, Macias is being charged with a misdemeanor offense of petty theft in the Sept. 27 incident. A spokesman for the DA’s office said the next court date is set for March.

Vitale, a member of the UC Riverside Republicans, pressed charges after the incident, in which he said Macias stole his pro-Trump hat off his head during a campus meeting and refused to give it back -- before two police officers responded to the scene and intervened.

The police officers were able to review video from both Macias’ and Vitale’s Facebook pages, which appeared to showed Macias physically removing the hat from Vitale’s head and running away with it, then repeatedly refusing to return in. Vitale eventually got his hat back -- after Macias is seen in the video giving it to university staff who then turn the hat over to its owner.

So, the DA is taking this seriously it seems. And if found guilty (which is likely considering there is ample video evidence of her actions), then she could face some jail time. I am willing to bet no jail time will be served here, but more likely she will be put on probation and have to serve some form of community service. If so I hope that service is to assist the on campus Republican group with their cause in some way. I think that might provide a chance for her to see and hear the groups real message, first-hand, and not filtered through the left-leaning echo chamber.

edit on 11/22/2017 by Krakatoa because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 02:18 PM
link   
That gal is gonna be wishing America is Great Again !!

edit on Nov-22-2017 by xuenchen because: +++ ++ +

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

Crime is so low the d a can spend his time worrying about a stolen hat.
Must be a great place to live

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Can't wait to see her go off on the Judge

"*#@¶ your genocidal Laws!"

Hope they televise it.

+7 more 
posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

If you open your eyes, you will see this is not about a stupid hat. It is about freedom of expression and the acceptance of differing opinions. In this case, an actual law was broken. I am sorry you fail to accept that breaking a law is punishable.

How would you feel if the opposite happened. If one of the campus Republican group stole a Black Lives Matter hat from another student and acted in the same fashion as she did?

Me, I would expect that same level of reaction and adherence to the law.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Thanks for the lesson but I know what it's about

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Laws are randomly enforced in this country and you know it

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 02:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

Thanks for the lesson but I know what it's about

I doubt that, but if you do, then you still think that is irrelevant and superfluous to follow up upon?

Really??

+2 more 
posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 02:27 PM
link   

That was a bit more than just a stolen hat. It was an assault and attempt to silence speech by force that got national attention.

It does not matter which side of which debate it was, it's a major issue in the country at the moment. We can't have that kind of behavior become acceptable and the way to stop it is to deal with it now and in a way that makes it clear, no you cannot do that.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Why is this news?

Exactly?

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 02:35 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Crime is so low the d a can spend his time worrying about a stolen hat.
Must be a great place to live

The DA can reject charges if there's insufficient evidence to prosecute and that's about it. "We have other crimes to prosecute and while there's enough evidence to prosecute this one, we just don't want to" is not a valid reason to reject charges.

Your other comment trying to imply there's some nefarious reason for this prosecution when the case is coming from California of all places is, frankly, laughable.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Thats a horrible crime, the thief should be hung, and the day he dies should also become a holiday.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 02:42 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 02:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jefferton
Why is this news?

Exactly?

originally posted by: Krakatoa

And, you have some form of valuable comments or other thoughts to add to the conversation other than flippant trolling questions?

I actually agree- why is this news?
Person commits non violent crime, person gets caught by law enforcement, person goes to court.... and person will probably have to accept the charges.
Jail time seems excessive for what appears to be a case of school yard bullying (outside the school yard), but if thats what it takes for these people to grow up than so be it.

Why is this news?

People go to prison for more important crimes every single day. More importantly, people get away with worse crimes every single day....

(post by Jefferton removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Laws are randomly enforced in this country and you know it

I very much doubt laws are randomly enforced in the US...

In reality, I think it would be much like it is in Australia.

If you rock up for your day in court for some random minor crime, without a well paying job to brag about, applying for legal aid or even worse, wanting to reprensent yourself, then there's a very good chance you'll have your arse handed to you.

But if you rock up with a lawyer that charges $2500+ for what's essentially usually just 20 minutes of there time, then you'll nearly always just be looking at a fairly reasonable fine.

Apparently, thats justice in a capitalist society...

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 02:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jefferton
POST REMOVED BY STAFF

Oh?
I bet you'd consider me to a "right winger" - so why are you making this about left vs right?
It's a hat, people. Petty crime for petty people, and now it's causing petty arguments over the internet?
edit on Wed Nov 22 2017 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 02:57 PM
link   
@0:50 "Man, # your laws!"

Looks like she's learning to be American the hard way!

edit on 22-11-2017 by Konduit because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

But if you rock up with a lawyer that charges $2500+ for what's essentially usually just 20 minutes of there time

Hey hey hey, they have to "prep" for trial, too. Getting that shoplifting charge dropped to simple trespass takes work.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join