It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weird Animal Facts.

page: 1

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Please enjoy some weird animal facts to help move along this slow boring day.

• A group of lemurs is called a "conspiracy". Maybe ATS needs a mascot.

• Female dragonflies will fake their own death to get males to stop harassing them for sex. It's only a matter of time before human females pick up this ingenious tactic.

Link

• A Blue whales fart is big enough to fit a horse inside of. No horses were harmed in the typing of this fact.

• Sloths almost die every time they poop. This is one of the few times a sloth will leave the safety of their tree. Once a week they descend to the ground to go # 2 which leaves them vulnerable to predators. And like everything they do, this is sloooooooow. They also loose 1/3 of their body weight from their weekly bathroom break. I just can't understand why they descend the tree to go #2. Why not just drop it from up top?

Link

• Manatees have a nipple behind each flipper. Imagine babies being fed from arm pits.

Link

• Male Orb Weaver spider has a detachable penis. Everyone has heard of how a female spider will kill and eat the male spider after mating. Well the male orb weaver has a nifty trick. His penis is detachable and is still working after he is gone so that he can maybe escape.

Link

• The urine of a Maned Wolf smells just like marijuana. Be careful when you follow that scent into the woods.

Link

• The loudest animal is a little bug called a water boatman. It makes its sound by rubbing its penis against its abdomen. It is the equivalent of listening to a loud orchestra in the front row.

Link

• Honey bees will cook enemy hornets. They surround them and vibrate to heat up the hornet. The bees can stand the heat but the hornets cannot. It is believed this tactic was developed because the bees stinger cannot penetrate the hornet.

Link

• If being chased by a predator, a female kangaroo will sometimes toss its joey to the predator to save its own butt.

Link

• The viceroy caterpillar looks like bird poop to fool predators from the air.

edit on 21-11-2017 by FauxMulder because: (no reason given)

• posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 01:19 PM
    link   

originally posted by: FauxMulder
    Please enjoy some weird animal facts to help move along this slow boring day.

• A group of lemurs is called a "conspiracy". Maybe ATS needs a mascot.

• Got all the way to this point in the OP..... Automatic S & F! I second the motion that ATS needs a mascot and what better mascot than the majestic Lemur? Hell, they match the color scheme.

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 01:36 PM
    link   
    S+F.

Now THAT'S useful information!

Kinda like a knife, lighter, or handgun.

Stuff a guy can USE!!

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 02:50 PM
    link   
    Great thread!

I didn't know any of that. I think a lemur mascot is an excellent idea!
    I recently took my grandaughter to a zoo where the lemurs are just running around free.
    They're actually really friendly!

This one was whispering to her something about reptilians..?
    edit on 21-11-2017 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 02:55 PM
    link   
    We need someone good with Photoshop to put tin foil hats on those lemurs.

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 02:56 PM
    link   
    a reply to: Bluesma

Very cool. We go to a zoo in Wisconsin where they have a bunch of animals running free. It's very cool and is way better than any big city zoo I've been to.

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 03:41 PM
    link   
    a reply to: FauxMulder
    Cool thread, love this stuff.
    Just started watching Blue Planet 2 and was amazed at how these fish(Kobudai) can change sexes. I had heard of frogs doing this but fish is new to me. This vid showed the transition, which occurs over a couple of months and ensures greater number of genes available, because the males carry more genes than female.

The biological processes and adaptive advantages of sex change has fascinated scientists for decades and the ecological and evolutionary contexts in which it occurs is now quite well studied and understood. The dominant theory as to why it occurs is known as the size advantage model. According to this model, changing sex is adaptive if your reproductive value (the number of offspring you can produce) is greater when you are a female when small, but a male when you are older and hence larger (as in the Kobudai) or vice versa. So by changing sex, lifetime reproductive success is maximized (the combined number of offspring you produce as a female and then a male or the other way round). Whether or not a species in protandrous or protogynous depends on their mating system and social structure. Protogyny – changing from a female to a male – is more common in fish than protandry because many fish have a mating system where large males, because of their superior competitive ability (in fights and contests with smaller males), are able to monopolize females and prevent smaller males from mating with them. Under these circumstances, reproducing initially as a female when small and then changing sex and becoming a male when large is the best strategy in order to maximize the number of offspring you leave in the next generation.

Source
    Fascinating!

ETA: More Animal World Tidbits
    edit on 2pmf30452430 by waftist because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 04:05 PM
    link   
    The binturong (bearcat) smells like popcorn.

The only mammals that undergo menopause are humans, elephants, and blue whales.

A group of owls is called a parliament.

A completely blind chameleon will still take on the colors of its environment.

Hippo sweat is pink.

Giraffes have no vocal cords.

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 04:21 PM
    link   
    Coyote females will produce significantly more pups in their litter if/when other members of the pack go missing or get killed.

Joe Rogan and Dan Flores

Mentioned somewhere in the podcast about animals and things.

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 04:33 PM
    link   
    Sounds like the right mascot for us.

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 05:22 PM
    link   
    I think ATS' mascot should be a conspiracy of lemmings.

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 06:01 PM
    link   

originally posted by: FauxMulder
    We need someone good with Photoshop to put tin foil hats on those lemurs.

You've given me some ideas, but I will need time.

I'll be back, at some point. With at least one lemur in a tin foil hat.

However looking at pictures of lemurs in a variety of poses..

Too many are too good to pass up for something like this.

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 10:19 PM
    link   
    a reply to: FauxMulder

Nice break from the usual! Didn't know some of these. Lemurs, now, would make a great mascot!!

Such cuties.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 10:05 AM
    link   
    What a fun thread!

Ok here goes..... Koala bears have fingerprints indistinguishable from humans.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 10:24 AM
    link   
    Polar bears are nearly undetecatable by infra red cameras. Ie you wont see them using thermal cameras.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 10:28 AM
    link   
    The sound of a housflys buzzing wings is always in the key of F.

new topics

top topics

join